Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rubber Gloves for Reloading

Graham Smith

I've noticed recently that disposable rubber gloves are starting to show up in auto shops and other places that I would not have expected to see them. Clearly there are some new designs that have better fit, grip, and durability than the old exam gloves. Has anyone used these for reloading? If so, any particular brand?

I've noticed recently that disposable rubber gloves are starting to show up in auto shops and other places that I would not have expected to see them. Clearly there are some new designs that have better fit, grip, and durability than the old exam gloves. Has anyone used these for reloading? If so, any particular brand?

I uses these a lot in my line of work. I prefer these:

Kimberly-Clark 55083 SAFESKIN® Purple Nitrile Exam Gloves with Beaded Cuff

Restockit has them on sale: http://www.restockit.com/

Edited by MarkCO

i use them for reloading almost always...

i put them on before a setup my machine and keep them on all the way through loading chamber checking and tumbling...

i load molly coat only, and that stuff will build up on your fingers like crazy after a 100 rounds or so...

i would wear them while cleaning my firearms too, but wet gloves seem to make more of a mess.

cheers,

Los.

Costco sells bulk packs of the Nitrile gloves. I use them for reloading all the time. I also have a dust filter mask for emptying the tumbler.

Also use for cleaning guns and for certain less choice chores on the RV. (It runs down hill, if you get my drift)

Jim

I use the nitrile ones for case prep, reloading, and case gage. Buy a few different kinds to see what you prefer. I don't like the thicker gloves since they limit my dexterity. The purple ones linked above are about 6 mil on the fingertips. The ones I use from amazon are about 4 mil at the fingertips. They won't last all day but are better for fine motor skills. The thicker gloves work well for things like working on your car.

I just pick up a package of whatever is cheap, whenever I am at a big box hardware store and use them once the press is set up. They probably won't last as long under use as the high quality gloves but, I toss them when they tear bad enough.

Good idea to use them when cleaning brass too.

nitrile came out several yrs ago in response to increased usage of latex gloves by hospitals and first responders thus causing a latex glove shortage,and for people in hospitals with latex allergies, also if you are working with solvents like acetone/MEK the solvent will actually pass thru the latex, the nitrile is a plastic barrier that prevents that from happening

like was said before me, usingthem for loading lead or moly bullets is great, no stuff to wash off

Edited by calishootr

Good idea to use them when cleaning brass too.

That's what first got me thinking about them. I've got a huge pile of dirty range brass to process during the dark days of winter. And it's also the season to really scrub the guns till everything is bright and shinny again.

I wear one always for reloading, but just the left hand, which feeds the bullets. I also wear them while sorting brass, and working on the car. As for tumbling brass, that is always done outside in a well ventilated area.

I use them for reloading, but never thought to use them for handling the brass etc. Probably a good idea since everything has small amounts of lead residue. Don't forget to use when handling solvents, methanol, etc. as they are readily absorbed through the skin as well.

Thanks, Rick

I forgot to mention that you can cut the fingers off and just use the cut pieces as finger "cots" when you are reloading and just handling parts with the tips of your fingers. This keeps your hands from getting sweaty. Another trick is when you take full gloves off, let them turn inside out. They will dry and you can re-use them by turning them right side out and blowing into glove like a balloon. Sometimes I have to take mine on and off several times and hate throwing 3 or 4 pairs away in an evening. Thanks, Rick

As others have said, I much prefer the nitrile to the latex. I started using the latex, but they would disintegrate after cleaning one gun and I would invariably get solvent inside the glove. The nitrile hold up through cleaning multiple guns as long as I don't tear them on something sharp. A sales rep at work gave me a couple of boxes of 5 mil nitrile gloves and they work great for me. I've tried the Costco brand and they tended to tear easily on cleaning brushes (too thin). They work fine for changing the oil in the car, though.

I use them to clean the gun. Not for reloading. Just never though of it, will have to see what it's like next time.

As for brand/type, etc.....they're latex, and I get them at a Restaurant supply store. Box of 500 I think costs $5.

Been around airplanes for the last 34 years...so when I started I never wore any gloves....and sometime I got rash...too much exposure to dry stuff like Freon or Varsol...so I just dip my hand in Hydraulic fluid a few hours per day (well not really).

For quite a few years now I used Nitrile gloves for everything and anything I on work airplanes, gun's, reloading, repair mower or anything else....and I never get rash go figure.... :surprise: I would never had any skin problems if they were used 34 years ago :roflol::cheers:

Lot of that stuff has some danger attached to them like skin cancer :devil:

Edited by dansy

My understanding is that elemental lead cannot be adsorbed through the skin in meaningful amounts.

As per Canadian Health and Safety Agency .......

Inorganic lead compounds are not known to cause skin irritation and are poorly absorbed through the skin.

Other ways such as contaminated dust, cookware, food, smoking, etc are very effective ways of achieving lead poisoning.

BB

Edited by BlackBuzzard

Since I shoot all winter in an indoor range...I get my lead level check every year part of my annual aircrew medical....in the previous range I was using my lead index was on the raise and I was wearing a Mask but the air system wasn't very good (obviously) and quite a few IPSC shooter were still shooting lead indoor, my lead index is now going down slowly, I no longer shoot lead and don't stay around peoples who do! I only got aware of the danger because of testing my Doc did...and then I just change my habits and all is fine now. :goof:

Were I now reside only a few used lead....I just don't RO them.... :cheers:

Edited by dansy

My understanding is that elemental lead cannot be adsorbed through the skin in meaningful amounts.

As per Canadian Health and Safety Agency .......

Inorganic lead compounds are not known to cause skin irritation and are poorly absorbed through the skin.

Other ways such as contaminated dust, cookware, food, smoking, etc are very effective ways of achieving lead poisoning.

BB

That may be true, but it's easier to strip off a pair of gloves before you go eat lunch than to scrub all the lead off your fingers. ;)

• 3 weeks later...