Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these properly seated primers?

robot

3rd pic- looks like one on the lower right has the primer at an angle- Hornady case. What press are you using? I find that sometimes this happen on my LNL as the shell plate tilts a tad even when it's tight. The Super 1050 shell plate is entirely different. I was having some light strike problems so I'm real careful to seat my ammo real well.

Thanks guys. they're Federal LP Primers. I see the one on the bottom left and will correct it with a hand seater from K&N.

John: best way is to feel with the finger? What I'd be looking for is a slight indentation right? like a bowl? if it's flat, I should get it seated properly?

I'll try this batch out next time and if there's still a problem, that means it has to be with my gun.

Check them with your hand seater. Also you can use the end of your caliper that comes out when you open the jaws. Extend the tip into the primer till it touches the primer with the bottom on the case rim and it will shows you how far below the rim (flush) you are.

• 5 months later...

When seating Federal Primers, I heard mention of crushing them slightly.

They seem to be soft enough to do that. Any comments on should they be seated to the bottom with or without and crushing?

Thanks

When seating Federal Primers, I heard mention of crushing them slightly.

They seem to be soft enough to do that. Any comments on should they be seated to the bottom with or without and crushing?

Thanks

I don't think you can crush them without them being seated to the bottom.

Might not want to re-seat a primer if those are loaded rounds. I've never had a primer go when seating it, but I've heard they can.

I fully seat all of my primers by hand after the rounds come out of the press. Take a empty but primed case and try to get the primer to go off with any priming tool. I've heard the sky might fall too so I guess one should be cautious.

Might not want to re-seat a primer if those are loaded rounds. I've never had a primer go when seating it, but I've heard they can.

I fully seat all of my primers by hand after the rounds come out of the press. Take a empty but primed case and try to get the primer to go off with any priming tool. I've heard the sky might fall too so I guess one should be cautious.

I have also been using a hand seating tool to the "further seat" the primers after loading on my 550 (38 special). If I don't I will have light strike misfires in my Carmomized Model 67.

I have also been using a hand seating tool to the "further seat" the primers after loading on my 550 (38 special). If I don't I will have light strike misfires in my Carmomized Model 67.

For those who may not have seen it, on my work order form the owner can specify exactly what type of primers/ammo will be used in the gun, then I tune and test the gun with that particular type. Most people check the box for "well-seated Federal primers only" because it allows the action to be fully optimized.

I personally hand re-seat the primers on all my own match ammo, and of course I use Federal primers only. I squeeze them until they are below flush and starting to flatten.

I used to hand seat, but "knock on wood", stopped doing it. I used to have a 4 1/2# action but upped it to 5 1/2+, feels better.

If you run your thumb across the case head/primer and can feel a "dip" at the primer, you're good to go. If it feels flush or god forbid raised you need further work.

Which hand primer do you guys recommend? I have been doing my revolver priming on a single stage press, then go and finish on my 550. It would be a lot easier to check and re-seat if necessary after the round are loaded all the way on my Dillon.

Which hand primer do you guys recommend? I have been doing my revolver priming on a single stage press, then go and finish on my 550. It would be a lot easier to check and re-seat if necessary after the round are loaded all the way on my Dillon.

I load all of my Revolver rounds on a Dillon 550. Never had much problems.

If I have a batch of older cases with crud in the primer pocket and need to re seat them, cause I'm too lazy to clean the pocket, I've been using a Lee hand primer for 30 years. Got the deluxe shell holder kit and that comes in real handy. It's never given me any problems.