Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for moving to Open division

NJGlockGirl

Well, soon I will be making the big leap into, Open Division. I'm not doing it to win any records, or beat the pants off of anybody, (Lord know's that anybody that has seen me shoot, knows that I'm no speed demon, due to my disabilities). But, for the last 3 and a half years I have only been shooting with Iron Sites. The good news, (for me) is that, I will be staying with a Glock, so I am already used to "the gun" (per se), the trigger of course, will be lighter than I am used to but, with dry fire practice, that control will come.

So, I would like to know, what others have experienced, as far as challenges, when switching to Open Class, and, what (if anything), I should I be watching out for? Also, what was the most difficult thing for you to get used to, when you made the switch? I'm not usually one to give up on anything, but I am also very scared that, my comfort zone in Limited, has got me right where it wants me. However, I have been wanting to shoot Open Class for AGES now but, I must admit that, I am actually somewhat apprehensive, about the possibility of throwing in the towel, out of frustration with the C-more. Did you have any trouble, going back to the Iron sites, when you wanted to shoot your regular gun again?

Please Note: I would like some, "solid straight shooting advice" though. I really don't need to hear the horror stories, of a horrendously failed experience, with Open Class Guns, to scare the BEJEESUS out of me, before I ever hear a timer go off! I want this to be FUN & I am totally looking forward to the switch!

Thanks!

Open actually is a lot of fun. It will make difficult (tight or far) targets easier to hit and will raise your confidence. I do switch back and forth between Liminted and Open and really have no issues with it. Here are just some random thoughts on going to Open:

1. Avoid the initial feeling that the dot is an A zone guidance system for your shots. It can feel like it is and then you will be disappointed when you score the targets. Ya stil gotta call your shots.

2. Present your gun to the target the same way no matter if you are standing, squatting, around a barrel, etc. The more you do this consistently the less you will lose the dot.

3. You will lose the dot every once in a while. Happens to us all, especially weak hand shooting. Its just part of Open. If there aren't any no-shoots around and you are generally facing the correct direction fire a round. It often brings

the dot back into the lens.

4. It will look like the dot never sits still. It doesn't. Your irons don't either but for whatever reason our brain doesn't see it. This is something I still work with. Don't wait for it to come to a complete stop before shooting.

5. Don't think about speed. Put the dot in the A, squeeze the trigger and repeat as necessary. I found I was thinking I had to be "faster" in Open. That was not a good plan. :blink:

6. Have fun, which I am sure you will.

Open actually is a lot of fun. It will make difficult (tight or far) targets easier to hit and will raise your confidence. I do switch back and forth between Liminted and Open and really have no issues with it. Here are just some random thoughts on going to Open:

1. Avoid the initial feeling that the dot is an A zone guidance system for your shots. It can feel like it is and then you will be disappointed when you score the targets. Ya stil gotta call your shots.

2. Present your gun to the target the same way no matter if you are standing, squatting, around a barrel, etc. The more you do this consistently the less you will lose the dot.

3. You will lose the dot every once in a while. Happens to us all, especially weak hand shooting. Its just part of Open. If there aren't any no-shoots around and you are generally facing the correct direction fire a round. It often brings

the dot back into the lens.

4. It will look like the dot never sits still. It doesn't. Your irons don't either but for whatever reason our brain doesn't see it. This is something I still work with. Don't wait for it to come to a complete stop before shooting.

5. Don't think about speed. Put the dot in the A, squeeze the trigger and repeat as necessary. I found I was thinking I had to be "faster" in Open. That was not a good plan. :blink:

6. Have fun, which I am sure you will.

Well said!

Learning to find the dot is just a matter of dry fire practice... What I usually tell people starting out is to focus on the target. Then when you present the gun during the draw make sure that you do so in a way that you are looking through the lens at the target. The push the gun out straight... If you are coming from limited you will have a tendency to present the gun too high and find yourself looking at the back of the c-more and not through the lens.. Likewise when you go back to limited from a stint in open you'll have a tendency to present the gun too low and find yourself looking over the sights...

Avoiding this seems to be one of the best justifications for the sideways c-more mounts... The get the lens closer to where sights would be.

If I lose the dot I find that if I put the top of the adjustment knob in the bottom of the lens it will show back up...

Welcome to the darkside :-)

Edited by caspian guy

As other have said,you need a target focus and the dot will be moving all over, but the biggest thing you need to see is where did the dot lift off the target when the shoot broke. Its all about calling your shots and having fun.

Caron,

Knowing you and your style, the first thing will be to get the Glock painted pink. :wub:

After that its just good clean fun. Find a load that runs reliably, learn to index the dot and you'll enjoy the heck out of it. I think its a transition you'll really enjoy!

It sure isn't as easy as it looks but it does sorta seem like cheating at times.

Let me explain what this says:

The explanation: Do not short arm the gun. If you short arm the gun you will lose the dot and waste 3 to 10 seconds finding it again.

Now lets add # 7. Do not break the shot unless you actually see the dot and it appears to be on the target you intend to shoot.

I was fairly new to open and I was at double tap, I lost the dot on the stage and took 4 easy shots, the result was 2 no shoot in two targets, now that don't seem that bad except they were the only two no-shoots in the whole match. It takes a lot of expierence with an open gun to be able to point shoot it with a modicum of accuracy, and you need to practice that with the dot off first, even when you think you can do it.

Caron,

Knowing you and your style, the first thing will be to get the Glock painted pink. :wub:

After that its just good clean fun. Find a load that runs reliably, learn to index the dot and you'll enjoy the heck out of it. I think it's a transition you'll really enjoy!

Oh Seth,,,you have NO IDEA whats in store for my Open Gun!!!! Bobby Carver is building me a Pink Parts Glock! All anodized aluminum parts! Can't wait...she's gonna be beautiful!

I really appreciate all the help from everybody, and I am also looking forward to trying it as soon as it's finished,,,fingers crossed should be SOON!!! Will post pictures as soon as they come out - Seth it will TOTALLY match my Jeep! LOL

8. Double plug to protect your hearing even if you have electronic muffs. Those babies are LOUD!!

9. Try not to smile too big or you may swallow a bug. :roflol:

REALLY good call on 8. Important out in the open (no pun... well sorta) but anytime with a a roof overhead or heaven forbid in in a tunnel it is mandatory.

like others have said, grip/draw consistency is gonna be the biggest challenge for newbie's to open, present the firearm the same way you did in limited/production, the biggest problem for most people is finding the dot, i call it the fish/swim move, where you 'swirl' your stronghand looking for a flash of red in the screen...not good...it takes time to get it right. if your shooting 9mm major(assuming) yes you might want to double plug, as the blast is now going up instead of out, also notice that for the most part, recoil will be more liniear(straight back into your hand) instead of up, if you were shooting production(minor) you will also notice a difference in recoil(harder) least thats what the last production shooter said about my open toy vs. his production G34

8. Double plug to protect your hearing even if you have electronic muffs. Those babies are LOUD!!

By far, the best advice so far! :cheers:

#8 is a big one. Most folks don't realize that thier brain goes into shock when that big noise hits your ear and that concussion hits you so you blink and your brain shuts down just when you need to see the dot to call the shot.

By far, the best advice so far! :cheers:

Agreed,,,I have had problems running shooters during a Steel Match, with Open guns, and "regular plugs". And, ANYTIME I am at an inside range, (which is few and far between - as I really hate shooting indoors - as it is too hard to see - and breath). But two years ago, while down at Area 8, the Ear Guy, made me the most fantastic plugs, that hearing is not an option with them in. I haven't needed to double plug outside since. BUT, Unless somebody can tell me of a pair of earmuffs, that don't have a problem with the arms on my shooting glasses. Because, I have found that, with ANY glasses that I wear with earmuffs, the headache that develops after just a half an hour, is terrible, so earmuffs don't seem to be an option for me. Which is why I spent so much money, on the best plugs that the "Ear Guy" made down south, that year. I cannot recommend that guy enough, if you see him at a match. I don't remember his name, but he REALLY knows his stuff. There are MANY imitators, but the guy that is always at Area 8 is THE guy for plugs!

Edited by NJGlockGirl

By the way folks, if anybody wants to chime in on a good MPF load, that would also be appreciated. We prefer Montana Gold bullets, round or Flat Point, I don't care for the Hollow points much. Because I have Lupus, I have arthritis, in my hands and like a slower, almost pushy load, over a snappy one, as it helps me last longer thru the day, with lots of stages. My Compensator is going to have three top holes, and two side bleeder holes. So, any recommendations on recipes, would also certainly be appreciated. bow.gif

I just shot my first match with my SV Open gun today. Loved it! Hit a lot of 2 Alphas. Tanked four targets that were close together because I did not let the sights settle appropriately and sloppy transition.

The biggest issue was finding the dot! I was inconsistent.

I have five (yep five) poppleholes behind the comp. I will learn to control the muzzle flip better. Again I was inconsistent, sometimes there was no flip and other times I was a little too loose with my grip. One thing I did notice was how easy swingers were to hit. It was awesome.

I use VV powders exclusively so I am not sure my load will work but I use 125 grain bullets shooting major. About two years ago I had a conversation with Chris Tilley about muzzle flip v. recoil. You might want to call him and have a chat. He is an amazingly friendly and helpful.

By the way folks, if anybody wants to chime in on a good MPF load, that would also be appreciated. We prefer Montana Gold bullets, round or Flat Point, I don't care for the Hollow points much. Because I have Lupus, I have arthritis, in my hands and like a slower, almost pushy load, over a snappy one, as it helps me last longer thru the day, with lots of stages. My Compensator is going to have three top holes, and two side bleeder holes. So, any recommendations on recipes, would also certainly be appreciated. bow.gif

There is no mention of caliber so I'll assume Major 9. Try some Silhouette about 7.4 to 7.7gr with 124gr RN MTG set at 1.165. This is about as soft as it gets in 9 major and to get it dialed into your impulse perception you will need to find the right recoil spring. Just keep shooting and changing springs till if feels good.

There is no mention of caliber so I'll assume Major 9. Try some Silhouette about 7.4 to 7.7gr with 124gr RN MTG set at 1.165. This is about as soft as it gets in 9 major and to get it dialed into your impulse perception you will need to find the right recoil spring. Just keep shooting and changing springs till if feels good.

You are correct sir about forgetting to mention the caliber! For some reason, I thought that I had mentioned it! No major nines for me. Staying with 40 Cal,,, building my 35 with a KKM Barrel, and all Carver Mount (B&B Enterprise), after market parts with a C-More on my Glock 35 Slide, and body.

You are correct sir about forgetting to mention the caliber! For some reason, I thought that I had mentioned it! No major nines for me. Staying with 40 Cal,,, building my 35 with a KKM Barrel, and all Carver Mount (B&B Enterprise), after market parts with a C-More on my Glock 35 Slide, and body.

Ok been there as well 135gr bullet with 6.8 to 7.2 gr of IMR 7625. I put a variable amount as this will bepend on the speed of the barrel. I'm thinking the OAL was about 1.140 with a FN bullet.

I never shot anything but open my first 2 years. Since I stopped competing for 12-13 years I went back to IPSC with a Limited G17 Gen 4 and I'm already thinking of going back to open. Glad to have read this so I know what I'm in for.

Not sure about the "pink" business but, maybe Baby Blue.

Oh Seth,,,you have NO IDEA whats in store for my Open Gun!!!! Bobby Carver is building me a Pink Parts Glock! All anodized aluminum parts! Can't wait...she's gonna be beautiful!

I really appreciate all the help from everybody, and I am also looking forward to trying it as soon as it's finished,,,fingers crossed should be SOON!!! Will post pictures as soon as they come out - Seth it will TOTALLY match my Jeep! LOL

You can now get the CR Speed belts with hot pink or purple trim as well as pink and purple mag pouches. Welcome to the crazy world of Open!

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

Once you can draw to your index position with the dot centered in the scope every time, then dry practice that with your eyes closed during the draw.

Once you've mastered that, practice dry drawing to a centered dot, from various odd positions, like shooting around barricade or through an awkward low port, etc. Then repeat those dry draweing drills with your eyes closed.

be

• 1 month later...

I'm not trying to highjack your thread, but I'm looking into do the same thing you are doing. I was wondering why the G35 instead of the G22? I thought the big slide on the G35 might slow down the cycle time. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the G35 vs the G22.