Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for a Match

feederic

I had a bad experience once with some old powder (w231), where I loaded up about 800 rounds, and it made PF until about 6 months later, then it didn't.

Now, I confirm velocity with chrono just before a match, just so I don't sweat the chrono!

My practice and match ammo are exactly the same. However, when I'm shooting a major match I case check all the ammo.

I typically reload my 38 Super brass at least 8 times before shooting them at a match and leaving them where they lay. That's why I case check them. I'm just guarding against a split case, rough lip or a similar issue.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die in the last stage of my XL650. I make sure that I really don't need it when I set the first three dies but it is excellent and cheap insurance. That's why I never case check ammo for local matches although I do check for proper primer seat depth.

Practice and local match loads for Limited .40 get 180 grain BBI moly's, mixed brass and whatever SR primers I have on hand; bigger matches get Remington brass with Hornady HAP bullets and Federal SR primers. Major match rounds are also case gauged.

I load my ammo pretty much the same regardless of match or practice, with a few slight tweaks. First off, for big matches, I only use new brass with my Open guns. I spent $1500 to go to Nationals, I'm not taking chances on brass. Yeah, I've heard of cases without a flash hole, but the depriming pin should catch that. New cases give higher and more consistent velocities than even once-fired (even casepro'd). For Production, Limited and SS, I use once-fired 9 and .40, because I've got piles of both...new would be better, but free is hard to ignore.

When I'm loading up for a big match, I load 100, chrono (two strings), and zero check it. Then, I load up however many I need for the match, plus another 100. I'll detail clean my gun at this point. I keep the last 100 separate, then chrono (one string only), zero and function check with that 100. That way, if anything happened to the press while I was loading the ammo for the match, I'll know it by shooting the last 100. So, at this point, I've got a batch of known-quantity ammo, in a gun that's quite clean, but known to be functioning properly....best combination to have in the holster when the first beep of the match happens. That's why I never, ever think "hope my gun works" when I step to the line. If I'm going to practice after this point, I use the backup gun, which will get a good cleaning before I leave for the match if I've shot more than a couple hundred rounds through it. I can live with not function firing the backup gun before heading to the match (although I will, if at all possible).

Every round gets case gauged, then put in a Dillon box so I can check the primers one last time. I guess that just shows I'm a bit overboard about ammo, but it's worked perfectly for me and I have no reason to change.

I'll admit that if I'm really pressed for time before a big match, I won't case gauge my practice ammo, but I'm using brass that's only been fired in my guns (I mark them) and counted how many times they've been loaded. I don't like doing that, but sometimes it's better to have that hour on the range. R<

All my ammo is match ready. I gauge every round and keep it in a huge bin ready to go. All I have to do is box up enough for any match.

Yeah, I do gauge all my ammo with one of those EGW 50 round 40SW blocks. With so little practice time, I do not want to waste any of it with jams, etc.

Mark K

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess that settles my curiosity :)

G-ManBart, that does sound like a great strategy! I think I may adopt that one.

Treat locals like majors and the majors come naturally. Everything the same.

Very well put. Treat every match like the Nationals, ammo wise.

I load practice ammo at a brisk pace.

I load match ammo with Issac Hayes playing in the background while using an extra smooth stroke. :lol:

I inspect practice ammo for safety.

I inspect major match ammo to the point of paranoia. :roflol:

For big matches I use newer brass, case gauge every round, and sit each round down on on our marble countertop. Wobblers go into the practice/local match ammo box. If I am feeling particularly frisky and not shooting JHPs I will run the loaded rounds through the the tumbler again for a bit just on the theory that any loose primers will get jostled out. Haven't found one yet, but it gives the wife one more thing to giggle at me about.

Match ammo is the same as what I usually shoot in club matches, but with once fired single headstamp brass, extra QC plus a couple tweaks to satisfy the OC in me.

I CasePro all my brass, but will still case gauge every round going to a major match. Since having a problem with high or tilted primers, even after fixing the problem with a new shell plate on my SDB, I've gotten into the habit of double setting (push to seat, turn the case and push again) the primers for major match ammo - gets 'em good and deep in the pocket.

Since I run my Production loads at 135 PF with long established and previously chrono'd recipes, I don't chrono my match ammo any more, though I will shoot groups to be sure the gun is on (and it always has been, with the fixed S/W sights).