Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about getting a CZ

alphabrace

Depends what you want to do with the CZ. CZ Tactical Sport is very nice in 40. It could be a nice limited gun. I have a CZ Shadow Custom and it is a tack driver, You will have to get use to the heft of the CZ'S some dont like the weight others like myself like it.

Edited by G34 CORDY

I bought a shadow custom from CZ custom and it is the bomb. it is super smooth and very accurate. i can't speak for a 40 but i would say that you would not regret buying a CZ. I just need to buy more of 'em to get good overall feel :D

I have only shot one match and I was in production class. Would like to stay in that class. My m&p has a very good trigger and I am wondering how the cz trigger is. I can shot double taps no problem with the m&p.

Unless your M&P is just defective is should have good enough accuracy for USPSA production. A 40 in production is a waste at minor power factor and may not be accurate at the low power factor, stick with the 9 mm for production. I have a CZ Shadow Custom, extremely accurate, easy and fun to shoot, and I love it, but your M&P should be able to do the job. More Practice and Dry fire will improve the accuracy of the M&P.

My shooting friend has a CZ TS in .40. It has a LIGHT trigger pull, plus a magwell and extended controls from the factory. He was instantly a better shooter with the long sight radius it provided and the recoil taming long dust cover.

If you like a heavy gun, and a sizeable grip, a nice sight radius, and great trigger, mags that work, then get a TS and you wont be sorry. I really like mine. When I get done doing my thing with production, I cant wait to get her out and start working together again. I shoot as accurate as I can with that pistol. Easy to clean, load for, and just points well out of the box. I am the second owner of this gun, and it has been to Angus, but I don't remember what the original owner said was done to it there.

You indicated that you have shot all of one match with your M&P (presumably a full size in .40) and it was in Production Division. You also indicated your continued desire to shoot Production. So... why change?

Go shoot a few more matches with your current gun and take time to figure out what Division you want to shoot and what gear will work for you. You can shoot M&P in any of the USPSA Divisions except Single Stack and Revolver.

P.S. When you are ready to make your purchase, budget for the holster, mag pouches and mags.

P.P.S. If your M&P is a compact, you will want to buy a full size gun sooner. Then a SP01 Shadow is a top choice for many CZ Shooters. (Me, I am still tinkering around with a SP01 Tactical model (a decocker) )

Also if you reload, search in this forum for minor power factor .40 as there is no Major Power Factor Production.

Edited by Wideload

If your going to stay in production and have to have a CZ get a Shadow Custom. I bought one and Iam extremely happy with it, it has been one of the best guns I have personally shot and in my mind it is one of the best production guns. Its a heavy gun so there isnt much recoil at all, trigger is amazing almost 1911 like, 9mm is cheap and much more you would have to try for yourself. Your M&P is more than enough but like I said if you have to have a different gun go CZ. The CZ Tactical Sport isnt legal in production due to it being single action only. I love my CZ and have sold my other production guns XDM and Glock 34 because I just like shooting my CZ so much.

if you want to shoot Limited Division the Tactical Sport is a great gun and has the capacity to be competitive.

if you are going to shoot L10 or production the 75B in .40 would be a great gun.

so capacity will be your determining factor on which .40 to pick.

guns are accurate, reliable, easy to shoot.

there are a couple of .40s in the classifieds. There is a TS listed that sounds pretty good and I have a 75B in .40 listed.

Another possible choice which is good for both Production and IDPA is the CZ85 Combat model. I had a Shadow and I liked it, but I also had the CZ 85 and I kept that one. No worries about weight restrictions with the CZ 85 in IDPA.

Same great trigger as the Shadow also but without the extra weight and also very accurate. I have yet to own a CZ that was not accurate.

• 6 months later...

I have not gotten a CZ yet. I just borrowed a CZ75B 9mm and shot a few rounds. I am impressed with its accuracy! Hope to shoot it a little more today. The one thing I don't like about it is the mags don't drop free. Can that be corrected with out sending it to a gunsmith? If I get one it will be 40 cal. I would lose to much in scoring in the league I am in with a 9mm being minor.

The one thing I don't like about it is the mags don't drop free. Can that be corrected with out sending it to a gunsmith?

You don't need a gunsmith for that! Get a flat mag brake from CZ Custom for 10$. It's a drop in part if you can take off the grip panels and drift a pin.

Addict

Thanks for this thread guys. I'm a perfectly happy and heavily invested Glock shooter but have always wanted to try a CZ and Stephen Camp used to encourage me to try one someday. This has been very helpful.

Thanks for this thread guys. I'm a perfectly happy and heavily invested Glock shooter but have always wanted to try a CZ and Stephen Camp used to encourage me to try one someday. This has been very helpful.

I too was a diehard Glock-guy, but after a while I started thinking that maybe life was too short to live it out crisp-trigger-deprived. I spent a lot of money figuring out that while nice 1911's deliver the goods trigger-wise, they're way too moody and finicky when one is used to living with G17/34's and never could quite get used to the higher bore-axis and nowhere for my support-hand thumb to ride the same as I was used to with my Glocks. I've owned 1911's by STI, Wilson, and DW, tricked-out too, not garbage, but they still didn't convince me they would be any better for me than my tried-and-true Glocks..

I think the CZ's are the "best of both worlds" and bridge the gap between those two (Glocks and 1911's), leaning heavily more towards the Glock end of the scale in handling and reliability, but with the weight and kick-ass trigger of the 1911's, plus the CZ's actually feel better in-the-hand ergos-wise than both.

I should mention the fact that in my case, while I liked them, I was never blown away by the CZ's with the older duck-tail style frames (most 75's, 85's), but once I handled an SP-01 and 75SA with the higher beaver-tail frame I had to try one, even with the bone-stock proletarian models and their less-than-great triggers I was immediatly more accurate than with even my fully-blown Vanek-equipped G34, but once I shot one with a competition hammer installed I was sold and switched, now I'm fully drinking the Shadow kool-aid.

If you get a chance to shoot a Shadow, or really any CZ in good-order with a competition hammer installed, I think you'll be surprised and the experience will be eye-opening, CZ's are still not too well known and an unknown-quantity in the US shooting community even at many IDPA/USPSA clubs, that said, most guys I let shoot or even just dry-fire my CZ are SHOCKED by how sweet it is.

The main thing I experience is that compared to the Glocks I find the CZ to just be plain easier to shoot well and twice as forgiving. I always tell people: the same bad shot that I pulled that would've been off the paper at 25yards with the Glock, will land 6" left with the CZ...

Edited by ck1