Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you maintain focus in IDPA?

Six

I've been shooting IDPA for about a year and a half, steel challenge slightly less, and USPSA since this summer. I enjoy all three for different reasons, but in my attempts to improve my shooting somewhat, and paying attention to what I'm doing. I'm finding more and more that with USPSA and steel challenge, I can call my shots better, and feel like I shoot better.

In IDPA I'm struggling with the basics: sight alignment, trigger, follow through. I think much more. Am I behind cover? Two shots to the body, one to the head, move while shooting at these. 9, 10, 11, reload! It's very high-level conscious shooting, and I find that I'm not seeing what I really need to see in regards to the gun itself. The "muscle memory" I built up while dryfiring is gone, because I'm thinking about what I'm doing rather than just doing.

In steel challenge on the other hand, after the beep all of a sudden there are sights on a white flash, the gun goes bang, the plate goes clang, repeat four more times, and it's all over (possibly with a few more bangs than clangs). I'm not consciously thinking while I'm shooting. There's Focus, but not Concentration.

So the question is: How do you "just shoot" in IDPA? Is it a matter of practice and making the IDPA movements of cover, slicing the pie etc ingrained so you don't think about them at all, or is it a matter of learning to shoot while thinking?

Any insight welcome.

This may sound pretty silly/vague, but I have found it helps to just have fun!

My wife and I primarily shoot USPSA with the occasional IDPA match for fun. She does real well at readjusting as our local range does a lot of 3 to the head on target A, then 1 to the body and two to the head on target B, etc etc. For me it became more of a math game. I was spending to much time trying to memorize the stage rules, trying to not botch it up.

We just shot the "Blackwater Shootout in the Shoothouses" and I had a blast. Hands down the most fun I have had at a match. I think what really helped was that I had FUN and did not sweat the small stuff! Just trust your instincts and unleash the beast! :cheers:

I actually have the problem going the other way. While shooting USPSA I am constantly find myself thinking about my next position, my next reload or what target I need to engage from the current position.

The big thing in IDPA is everybody is shooting the stage the same so try not to over think the COF. When getting ready to shoot know which target you will be reloading on. During the walk through look at the targets from the positions where you are going to shoot from and make a mental note of where you need to be standing, then look at that mental mark while moving to that position.

Also knowing the rulebook in IDPA really helps. Knowing how targets need to be shot from different forms of cover is a huge plus. When you get to a wall you don't have to tell yourself....'slice the pie'.

Just to clarify a bit, it's not following the rules that are the problem, I think I got them down fairly well, it's the shooting that's the problem.

Bigpops, agreed. I started having a lot more fun with IDPA when I started to just have fun rather than try to win. But now I want to get better, while also having fun.

Gman, good idea.

You got it, you need to shoot enough IDPA to where the different things that aren't shooting, like drawing from concealment, using cover, target engagement, different types of reloads, etc. are no longer distractions, you just do them automatically. Once you get those things automatic, you're free to just shoot.

I find myself thinking too much when I haven't mentally prepared for the stage enough. I try and run the stage over and over in my head until it doesn't take any more thinking. During the walk through, pay attention to where you feet need to go, where the targets appear as you come around cover, etc. I thought I was doing a good job with this but kept having all sorts of little errors that would throw me all off (missing a mandatory reload, putting the wrong number of shots on a target, shooting something out of order, etc). Then I watched some really good shooters and did some more reading around here and realized I just wasn't putting in enough mental prep. It gets easier as you do it more but it takes a lot of work.

That, and make sure you are getting a lot of dry fire practice, not just shooting but getting into and out of positions, especially using cover.

because I'm thinking about what I'm doing rather than just doing.

Think first, then go shoot the stage. Think like a CNC machine, take your time to program in correct information then execute the program. You have minutes to sit there and think about a few seconds, use it. Don’t wait until the buzzer goes off to start thinking about what you are going to do.

If you have to think “am I behind cover” and it messes up all of your dry firing practice you should practice being behind cover so it is 2nd nature, I promise being behind cover won’t mess up your dry fire. Practice both at the same time…while stowing mags, etc.

Hello: This may sound funny but try using a different pistol for IDPA. I have shot IDPA with a 1911, 2011, Glock and even a revolver. Using a different pistol for me helps me with remembering the rules and also getting my hits. Shooting a clean match in IDPA helps alot and with me by changing pistols it helps me do that better. Note: I have never shot a clean match yet. Thanks, Eric

You got it, you need to shoot enough IDPA to where the different things that aren't shooting, like drawing from concealment, using cover, target engagement, different types of reloads, etc. are no longer distractions, you just do them automatically. Once you get those things automatic, you're free to just shoot.

Although I never shot IDPA, that is what I would have said.

be

So the question is: How do you "just shoot" in IDPA? Is it a matter of practice and making the IDPA movements of cover, slicing the pie etc ingrained so you don't think about them at all, or is it a matter of learning to shoot while thinking?

Just shooting in IDPA is actually quite easy. Think if it as a choreographed dance. Like Strick said, "Everyone will be shooting the stage the same way." Therefore, there is no real thinking about stage breakdown. The CoF and the SO will tell you exactly how to shoot the stage. There are usually only 2-3 shooting positions and 1 reload that you will need to remember. Other than that, just shoot. ;)

i do not count shots like this....

one.two

three.four

five.six

and so on....

I count targets. or it is something like this:

"hmmm, okay, once I get to position B I will have two rounds left, then the gun will go to slide lock and I will do a reload...and I only have four more shots to make after that....so plenty left in the gun"

with practice/experience, the choreography/dancesteps of it all goes to the mental back burner.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new competition shooter myself. At my last match i watched the the guys i thought were doing the best and talked to them after the match about how i could get better. one guy mentioned that practicing EVERYTHING at home has helped him tremendously. so i tried to think of way that i could improve every aspect of shooting, including breaking down a course of fire, at home. so i started setting up courses at home or have a buddy set up a course and then i go through and break it down step by step; how many targets, how many shots, how many reloads, where to reload, what cover? The guy that gave me this tip said that after a while it becomes second nature, you can walk up to the line of fire and break a course of fire down without even walking it, like a QB reading the Defense. Exercise the mind like you would your muscles, repetion repetion repetion. Good luck.

I don't count targets either for the purpose of when to reload. I plan my stage with the thought of "...this target gets one, then reload, re-engage with one.." I plan my reloads based on targets. I know which target is my last target engaged before I need to reload. If I have a make up shot I adjust on the fly, it usually means reloading before the one/reload/one target. You may also find people round dumping before this same target on a stage. I also look for areas where a RWR is advantagous.

100% of my limited practice for IDPA is leaning around something, over something, under something, or on the move. I (try) to shoot it all like I'm shooting Virginia Count (Limited Vickers) and aim (most of the time) for the down zero. The "IDPA DANCE" is almost as important as the shooting, and the better you shoot leaning and moving, the higher up the score sheet you end up. I don't plan on a "what if" because that tends to crowd out the "what I want to do" in my pea brain.

So I think the plan is to incorporate IDPA moves into my dryfiring, and then take my time visualizing each stage to burn it firmly into memory before I'm up.

Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a match this weekend and while I'm still waiting for the scores, I shot about as well as I'm able to.

It was a big difference in taking the time to visualize and go through the motions of the stage before shooting it. I know that there were only a few moments when I came out of the shooting zone to become actively conscious of what I was doing.

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Six

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i usually have a couple of shots of whiskey in my morning coffee. it's like playing darts when you're buzzed, you just focus and make good shots.....

Disclaimer :surprise: none of that is true. guns and booze don't mix. Just go with the slow. worry about making good hits, not so much speed. it's more important, and easier to do usually. :sight:

She does real well at readjusting as our local range does a lot of 3 to the head on target A, then 1 to the body and two to the head on target B, etc etc. For me it became more of a math game.

That stuff makes me crazy. I hate it honestly. USPSA field courses can be tricky as you have more targets to position for... however in IDPA there seems to be lots of variation to required shots.

At the IDPA indoor nats for example some stages were two/target some were three on various stages. I got to one stage and did 2-2-2 reload then started doing three on the next target! I was like WTF did I just do! I rarely make mistakes like that but my club doesn't mess things up like that too much. Some around here will do 2 to the body, one to the head or 3 each- to get round count up on small ranges.

You are essentially practicing for what may be the ultimate showdown of your life to save you or your loved one's life, which is what IDPA is about. More is at stake, it's not just about the score. So, your concern is justified. My take is once you get the basics down, then your concentration can be directed at the COF. Practicing and time behind the trigger are crucial.