Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack - why .40 S&W?

Pro2AInPA

Just wanted to get some input from you guys on why you may or may not choose to shoot a 1911 in .40 S&W for USPSA single stack division. .45ACP makes major easily and there are certainly more guns to choose from chambered in .45 as well.

Do some folks just prefer the way .40 feels in a 1911? My 1911 is a .45 and I've never shot one chambered in .40.

I just purchased a STI trojan in 40 S&W. I have shot both, and I prefer the recoil impulse of the 40. The other advantage is that mags seat easier because most mags capacity is 9 and you only load them to 8 giving you plenty of extra room in the mag. The down side is that mags are a little on the finicky side. Once you figure out the combination that thing out to run awesome. I just shot my first match with my new SS and I dont regret getting a SS in 40SW

cheaper to load, one setup for reloading if you shoot LTD, some say there is less felt recoil in a 40 over a 45.

on the flip side, there have been numerous issues with feeding probs in .40 1911s. once the ammo/mag issues get worked out, i guess they run like champs :). i personally shoot a 45 b/c its what i have and what i reload for.

Cheaper bullets

Cheaper Brass

I like the feel better

Same load as my limited guns

Don't have to change the press over to Large primers

Don't have to have a barney mag

The chicks dig it

Somehow I knew you'd be along with all the answers. :roflol:

Cheaper bullets

Cheaper Brass

I like the feel better

The chicks dig it

Somehow I knew you'd be along with all the answers. :roflol:

Eh the last part is the only one that matters :devil:

There is nothing wrong with a single stack in .45. Hell if all the above fit the .45 I would shoot it instead.

Edited by steel1212

Cheaper bullets

Cheaper Free Brass

I like the feel better

The chicks dig it

+1

Getting once-fired .40 for free makes all the difference, but I do really like the feel of the gun better. I'm wondering if a lot of it isn't the way the gun is sprung, but either way, it's no decision for me. R,

Cheaper bullets

Cheaper Free Brass

I like the feel better

+ I bought Bobby's (FGW) 40 Trojan... B)

You will find, almost invariably, that those running a single stack .40 are Limited shooters crossing over to Single Stack. The facts that they don't have to change over the press to load a different cartridge, that they already have a goodly supply of .40 brass and ammo, and their press is already perfectly adjusted and their .40 load sorted out are the overriding factors. If they happen to like the feel better, hey, more power to 'em.

Some say the recoil is the same and some don't. Me, I can notice and prefer the recoil impulse of the .40 better as I feel less torque than with a .45. I also agree with steel1212 on the rest although I'm still waiting on the Chicks to dig it.

I like the feel better

If you used the same bullet weight and loaded to the same velocity, would it feel any different? Just the different diameter bullet?

(A heavy .40 and a light .45 could be the same weight, in the 180-210 grain range, right? My carry load for my compact .45 has 165 grain bullets.)

I have a 40 Limited and lots of 40 brass. I also have a 45 SS and lots of brass. The load for the 40 and the 45 not much diffence. Price to load the 45 is minimally more than the 40 and makes major a whole lot more easily. I think it comes down to a matter of preference. In SS i stuck with the 45 since I don't need to mess with Mag issues. No real patients for that. + the expense of mags to find what works could offset the loading costs in long run. JMHO

• 2 months later...

Hello: You need an excuse to buy a 1911 in 2011 :roflol: I like the 45 shooting 200 grain bullets. I want to try the 40 using 200 grain bullets soon. Then I can see what I like better. No issue with mags since I use 45 mags in my 40. I have more 40 brass but I get most of my brass here so that is not an issue. Everything else is about the same cost. Thanks, Eric

My lame duck excuse was the abundant supply of brass. The minus side is that 1911's in 40 S&W are a bit finicky with respect to feeding. In contrast my 1911's in 9mm and 45 ACP have been flawless feeders right out of the box.