Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock or Not for Single Stack Division?

BoldasLions

My limited gun will not lock open, but my limited-10 gun and my Single Stack guns both DO. I shot SS all year this year and you NEED to have it lock open. Even the best plans can fall apart, if the gun does not lock open you are just adding other possible time wasters to the stage. Some SS guns are picky about slide lock reloads, just work with your ammo length and magazine selection until you get the combo that works best in your gun. Mine took some testing, but I eneded up with a comob that workes for me. My testing determined that standard length .40 ammo (1.125), in a Tripp Cobra mag, with an EGW high mag catch has been the magic combo in my Jim Joyce Custome(JJC)tuned STI Trojan. She shoots like a dream, and ALWAYS closes from slide lock. Good luck and safe shooting!

I am having my single stack built right now. I am going to have it lock back, with only 9bb's I want to know when it runs dry, although I can feel my limited gun when it goes dry, by the difference in recoil. I don't want to have the adrenaline flowing and not feel the gun go dry. This will be a uspsa/idpa gun so the slide lock will come in handy.

Mine is disabled, as I have had past issues with locking open when I don't want it to.

With only 8 in the mag and the prevalent 8 round strings we see now, it is not hard to keep up with your rounds. If you shoot a miss, and pick it up, you need to rack the slide. Hasn't been a big problem.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

I left my Trojan alone until Area 8, when it decided to lock back repeatedly all by itself. About as fun as it sounds.

After some vigorous home "gunsmithing" it will never ever lock back.

I think this might be a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

FY42385

I have working slide stops on all of my guns except for Open guns. If you need a makeup shot on an 8rd array, it's faster to do a slide lock reload than racking the slide (and the mag seats much easier). Dimple the face of the slide stop for the plunger, trim the nose of the slide stop so bullets can't hit it, and you should have no problems with premature lockback. R,

It is disabled in all my guns just for consistency sake.

IMO: The reason being a long time ago, tuning mags was part voodoo magic and part skill. It was fairly common to have Limited guns go to slide lock on the second to last round in a magazine. So many shooters just had it disabled either by the slide release or magazine follower. It only takes a couple of times to be finishing as COF and needing that second to last bullet and have the gun go to slide lock to have it disabled.

Now days it seems the followers are so much better that it is not as common to go to slide lock with two rounds left in a mag.

IMO: The reason being a long time ago, tuning mags was part voodoo magic and part skill. It was fairly common to have Limited guns go to slide lock on the second to last round in a magazine. So many shooters just had it disabled either by the slide release or magazine follower. It only takes a couple of times to be finishing as COF and needing that second to last bullet and have the gun go to slide lock to have it disabled.

Now days it seems the followers are so much better that it is not as common to go to slide lock with two rounds left in a mag.

+1 on this. Disabling the slide lock is probably a passing fad. good riddance.

It's not just the locking back with 1 or 2 rounds left in a double-stack gun, but also the fact that's it's easier to over-insert a mag and jam a double-stack with the slide locked back.

mine is functional. the obvious abswer is to avoid going to slide lock in teh first place, haha. but then you get the stage designers who think its a great idea to have an empty gun starts then 4 8-rd arrays <_<

none of mine lock back except for production. I have been shooting SS for about 4 years now and have watched a number of people reload to a locked back gun and have over inserted the mag and had the jam from hell.

I vote for keeping the slide lock enabled on SS or Limited 10 guns. If I run the gun dry I want a visible indicator, I dont want to have to guess when Im out and waste precious time. If your gun has a premature lock back problem it is commonly caused by your grip locating a thumb to close to the underside of the slide lock. Although I have also encountered it due to cheap mags and/or a weak plunger spring. Also an aftermarket slide stop installed without proper fitting.

I have been shooting SS for about 4 years now and have watched a number of people reload to a locked back gun and have over inserted the mag and had the jam from hell.

How can you over-insert a standard length 8-round mag?

Dawson no gap ICE magwell and basepads that have to be cut down to function in the magwell. Take a little too much off the front, slidelock reload.....jam from hell.

I have been shooting SS for about 4 years now and have watched a number of people reload to a locked back gun and have over inserted the mag and had the jam from hell.

It all comes back to tuning your gear. I have over insertion stops on the front of my mags and there is NO way it will over insert on my .40s or 9s. I haven't shot my .45s enough but I'm pretty sure they have them also :D

Dawson no gap ICE magwell and basepads that have to be cut down to function in the magwell. Take a little too much off the front, slidelock reload.....jam from hell.

The Dawson mags I have over insert with no modification. They work fine for the first mag but can hang the slide up during a reload from slide lock. :angry2: