Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock or Not for Single Stack Division?

BoldasLions

Dawson no gap ICE magwell and basepads that have to be cut down to function in the magwell. Take a little too much off the front, slidelock reload.....jam from hell.

Are you using the Dawson basepads they make for the No Gap Ice?

I run Wilson .625 basepads. I have to cut them down to fit the no gap insert and to fit in the box. I isolated the ones I had cut down too far and allowed over insertion on my Wilson 8 rounders and refit new basepads. So far, I haven't been able to make any of them do it again.

all of my slide locks are in working order except for my open gun. when i shoot ss i would rather know when empty than hear a snap. i usually keep a good round count if the stage goes according to plan but you never know.

I always find it interesting at how many times a shooter will try to pull the trigger when the gun is at slide lock. All one needs to know is how to count to 10 and if that's too high to count to you can always learn to subtract.

Rich

I always find it interesting at how many times a shooter will try to pull the trigger when the gun is at slide lock. All one needs to know is how to count to 10 and if that's too high to count to you can always learn to subtract.

Rich

I think it's a lack of practice. I can (and I'm sure most can) feel when the slide doesn't go forward.

Rich

I think it's a lack of practice. I can (and I'm sure most can) feel when the slide doesn't go forward.

Usually once per match, I see a new guy do that. Slide locks back and you think he's going to reload. Instead, he carefully aligns the sights on the target . . . and squeeeeeezes the trigger . . . and then lowers the gun to look at it and see what's wrong. Everyone but him saw it go to slide lock. So he inserts a fresh mag. This blows 3 or 4 or 5 seconds. Then he hurries the shot and misses that one.

I still make a lot of newbie mistakes. I think I only did that one once, and it's been a while.

What really kills me is seeing someone go to slide lock on the last shot at one position, run to the next position with an empty gun (no one says anything because we're all sure he knows, but), then try to shoot at a target, then the moment of confusion, then reload.

Edited by mgood

Rich

One can tell if the slide goes forward on an empty chamber also.

Rich

I have been shooting SS for about 4 years now and have watched a number of people reload to a locked back gun and have over inserted the mag and had the jam from hell.

How can you over-insert a standard length 8-round mag?

I actually sold a Caspian Race Ready framed gun because I had problems with over insertion with mags at slide lock. I do not use mags anymore that do not have the basepad that you can/must trim to allow the mag to be inserted....

I use an SVI magwells now and Tripp mags with the fat base pad trimmed/sanded to where it will "just" allow the mag the go in far enough to lock in place.

By shoving it in an officer size frame. :mellow: I broke an ejector that way.

Same Here.

When I got my little Kimber, I didn't know nothin' about nothin' with regard to 1911s. (Still don't know much.) Even then, with 8-round mags, I saw that "The mag can be pushed in far enough to hit this thing here during a slide-lock reload." I was careful with it for a while. But I eventually got it. On a positive note, I've fired several hundred rounds through it since I broke the ejector and I've never had a failure to eject. I talked to Dennis at Kimber and he told me he ran one like that for a couple years before he got around to fixing it.

By shoving it in an officer size frame. :mellow: I broke an ejector that way.

Same Here.

When I got my little Kimber, I didn't know nothin' about nothin' with regard to 1911s. (Still don't know much.) Even then, with 8-round mags, I saw that "The mag can be pushed in far enough to hit this thing here during a slide-lock reload." I was careful with it for a while. But I eventually got it. On a positive note, I've fired several hundred rounds through it since I broke the ejector and I've never had a failure to eject. I talked to Dennis at Kimber and he told me he ran one like that for a couple years before he got around to fixing it.

By the time that I noticed it, I had shot my Kimber Ultra Cary enough to need a full spring replacement :sight: there was something else going on at the time which is why I took it in to the smith. I have thought about shooting Revo with it using the "Stock" Officer's magazines :devil:

There are little plastic "collars" (for lack of a better term) that you can slide over and down the length of the mag tube, until they butt up against the top of the baseplate, specifically intended to prevent over-insertion of a standard length 1911 mag into a cutdown compact's short butt.

Yeah, both Wilson and McCormick make base pads for full-size mags to make them stop at the right place when using them in the compact frames. I'm going to get some. (The McCormicks are about half the price of the Wilsons, BTW.)

Better solution is for me to get a full-size 1911 for competition. :closedeyes:

But since I carry the little Ultra CDP, and I use the 8-rounders for spare mags, I still need some of those doo-hickeys for them.

• 4 months later...

Awesome thread! My first IDPA match I shoved a 8 round mag into the officer sized STI Guardian. The Ejector bent up and prevented the slide from riding home until my week hand forced it closed. I bled like crazy from the rear sight contact. The gun finished the match with two more shots.

Now I have a STI VIP, it's a double stack 40 S&W with officer length grip. My gamer mags and backup carry mag will be 140mm. My two questions are:

Do double stack STI's have over-insertion problems with long mags?

Does anyone make mag spacers/selves similar the XD design?

I prefer slide lock on SS and limited guns.

Edited by teejay

I've shot almost nothing but single stacks, for 14 years, and never had a premature lock-back with any gun/caliber/mag/ammo combo, so have never considered deactivating lock-back function. If my gun(s) did have issues, I'd get them fixed.