Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 High Plains Shooting Challenge

I'm interested in shooting rimfire, but I'd like to know how it will differ from centerfire. How would you negotiate a texas star or falling plates for example? What would be the maximum distance for rimfire or centerfire. I'm looking forward to this match, even if it is six hours away.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys, why would I have a texas star with plates that won't fall from a rimfire hit?

Why would I have ANY plate that won't fall from a rimfire hit?

If I'm going to have a rimfire division!!!

All steel will be at least 4moa x 4moa, that means I can have 1" x 1" targets at 25yds or 4"x4" targets at 100yds or 12"x12" targets at 300yds. Right now the furthest rimfire targets will be around 100yds which means at least 4" x 4" targets, which by the way were delivered yesterday to my house. i also intend on giving you 1"x1" targets at 25yds, they will fall to a rimfire hit because they are Sportsman Team challenge type targets, we shoot them strictly with rimfire.

I guarantee any plate we use for either division will fall IF you hit it, if you THINK you hit it and it doesn't fall, you can call for a calibration, at which point Mr Miller will gladly bring out his trusty 22rf or .223 and shoot the target for you, at which point you'll either be happy to get a reshoot or sad because you don't. Last year we had one calibration call, Kurt was so happy that he got to shoot a round at the match!!!! granted that was a SG match, but all steel targets are checked to make sure they will fall to a proper hit.

the furthest centerfire steel targets will be around 300yds, do not get hung up on the distances or the target sizes. be prepared to shoot offhand, sitting, kneeling, prone, swinging, standing on one foot, moving, off a rope, with the pope, through a door, on the floor, from a train, in the rain, in a house, at a mouse, from a saloon, at a balloon, all while eating green eggs and ham, with an RO named SAM!!

Thanks Trapr

I'm interested in shooting rimfire, but I'd like to know how it will differ from centerfire. How would you negotiate a texas star or falling plates for example? What would be the maximum distance for rimfire or centerfire. I'm looking forward to this match, even if it is six hours away.

6 hours? That's the closest drive i can find for an out of state major match. I'm excited for the short 6 hour drive matches!!!

My app is in the mail and I can't wait to shoot my Nordic Components 22lr. I am not worried about the plates falling, I am just worried about being able to hit them after Trapr and Kurt get through setting up the stages!

Seriously, if these guys set up a match it will be right. Bring what you want to shoot and worry about your shooting, not the stages.

Can't wait.

Trap.....you can count on me shooting 22RF....either Iron or Optics. And Don, you won't have to worry about my abilities....however, I believe my son may also be shooting 22RF as well. He's already beat me in one match (badly I might add) and he's only 15yo. SO if he can keep his head on straight, and let it get tooooo big, he could do well. BUT.....I might convince him to play with the big boys with a centerfire to save me some embarassment.

Tim

My app is in the mail and I can't wait to shoot my Nordic Components 22lr. I am not worried about the plates falling, I am just worried about being able to hit them after Trapr and Kurt get through setting up the stages!

Seriously, if these guys set up a match it will be right. Bring what you want to shoot and worry about your shooting, not the stages.

Can't wait.

Hey Don, it's not just Trapr and Kurt you have to worry about. The whole crew down here in OKC is pretty twisted when it comes to setting up a match! :)

I too will be shooting Rimfire Limited with my trusty Nordic Components .22.

OK guys, why would I have a texas star with plates that won't fall from a rimfire hit?

Great! Now I'm "That Guy" with the stupid questions. :( What I should have asked is if the stages are going to be totally different for rimfire and centerfire, which it appears they will be, thanks. Feel free to DQ me for asking any more stupid questions. :ph34r:

Because you're evil, mean and nasty??

Assaulter, you are not the ONLY one asking about stages, just the only one to ask in public :devil: Seriously, I honestly think everyone that shoots in the centerfire division will be wishing they had shot rimfire when the match is done. Rimfire will have some really cool targets, and target presentations not to say that centerfire isn't going to be a challenge, just that you really can't do anything with centerfire that hasn't been done before. But rimfire is a whole new ballgame, and you can put targets closer thus making them smaller, and still have 100 yard shot that is like having a 500yd shot with a centerfire, its right at the edge of the cartridge and rifles capabilities, but it fits in a bay or range that most everyone has.

i'm glad to see the rimfire division will be well represented, BTW who is that Don_B guy????

I forgot to add, I just got back from the range, and shot a Texas star at 500+ yards, all plates down, so its doable.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Can't wait.

Hey Don, it's not just Trapr and Kurt you have to worry about. The whole crew down here in OKC is pretty twisted when it comes to setting up a match! :)

I too will be shooting Rimfire Limited with my trusty Nordic Components .22.

You're right Mike, I should have said "Kurt Trapr and crew". It was not intentional to exclude any of the devious minds. :-) Just didn't want to scare too many people!

Trapr, not a request, just a curiosity...

Are you going to attempt to squad rimfire folks w/ rimfire and centerfire w/centerfire or just go with normal squad requests?

Thanks, app should be on the way shortly.

OH!!! go help your wife keep the bunnies from assaulting the quail?????? :cheers:

I think we answered that on the previous page, one optic for magnified. Targets will be incredibly easy to see,.....trust me, if you've ever thought you may have seen good target presentations (not referring to you KN3) you will know what they look like after this match. you will not NEED more than 4x to see our targets, they are being set up by IRON SIGHT shooters.

Trapr

I'm at work and bored again, so here is some stuff I'm working on.

Use of armor piercing, tracer, exploding or other ammunition whose projectile is made of materials other than copper and lead, will get you Disqualified and Fined. (amount of fine to be determined by damage caused)

Magnified Division: NO Bipods, Tripods, Quad pods, Quint pods, or Mono pods, resting off of magazines is acceptable, Muzzle brake allowed 1" x 3" internal dimensions, One optic only, Minimum caliber for C.F.-5.56x45/.223,

R.F.-22 lr. only.

Unmagnified Division: Same as Magnified, however no magnifying optics, 1x optic or iron sights only, one or the other not both.

These are the only items that are not normally seen at other matches, and a complete list of rules can be found on the website, shortly.

Trapr

Hmmm... I'm sure this word is going to be an understatement by the sounds of it, but I haven't gone "Plinking" in a long while. I'll be back from K9 school in May, and I'd still have plenty of time to put in for leave. Haven't shot my 10/22 in a couple of years either. straight up stock config, but with a huge scope. lol. I will definitely have to see about this one... just for kicks. B)

App is out today. Just booked flight,hotel,and car. Looking forward to this one. Never taken a plane to a match. So this is kinda like waiting for Christmas.

No Butch the way I drive the 2500 doesn't count as a plane.

The match will be a 2 division match, with 2 classes in each division. We will utilize our LPH scoring matrix, we are working on a new twist to it that will allow 308/7.62mm to compete head to head with 223/5.56mm, but we'll get into that later.

Any updates on leveling the field for .308?

I need to get with my stats guy and see how much trouble it will be to develop a new scoring matrix, but its looking promising. Although I'm really questioning the validity of coming up with yet another scoring system??????? It may be something we do this year and never again, I guess it depends on how much trouble it is and how well its received by the shooters.

Trapr

Trapr, I know that you and Kurt have way more experience than me, but take a look at the Steel City Carbine rules in Birminham. You could also contact DT1 and ask him since it's his match. Those rules make scoring very simple and quick. It might also level the field with .223 VS .308. Just a thought