benos

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shogun

Band of Brothers,

Lonesome dove

There was a prequal to Lonesome dove minisieries that started off great then about episode 3 or 4 turned into a boring soap opera I barely made it through.

I am not a prude and cuss some myself, but Deadwood seemed to go out of there way to squeeze as much profanity into each episode as possible, most of which wasnt even period correct, it was such a turnoff I couldnt even get into the story. Only made it one episode.

Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

The Shield

Deadwood

Firefly

Six Feet Under

Breaking Bad

Band of Brothers, by far.

The girlfriend has never seen The Shield, so we have been getting them via Blockbuster mail so she can watch them. I'm getting to enjoy them all over again. Just watched Season 1 ep 5-7 tonight.

The Shield and Breaking Bad are more series, than mini series, so since you opened that door, I'll add The Wire.

Not in any particular order as many have been mentioned. Roots, Lonesome Dove, Band of Brothers, Shogun, I guess I can't remember much more that I liked but If Jesse Stone counted I would vote for it. later rdd

Firefly was pretty awesome but the original Lonesome Dove will Always be my favorite!

Yea, that was a great one.

And yea, I screwed up on the title, I should have just put series. So to get unconfused, let's go with either series or mini series.

Looks like I'll have to check out Band of Brothers from all the heavy nods it got.

be

Are we talking mini-series.... or just TV series in general?

Band of Brothers is by far one of the best mini-series I've seen! Awesome stuff, especially with the commentary from the real guys the characters are based on, etc...

Definitely like Dexter a bunch, and we've always been loving It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia... Currently working on our next series to start watching through - we have the first DVDs of Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, and Lost in the house...

My impression of a lot of the HBO series (Deadwood, mentioned above, True Blood) is that they go way out of the way to smack you in the face with the fact that you're not watching broadcast TV - so much so that the story lines in between the violence, language, and sex seem to be overlooked, and what you get is a show that seems like some 13 year old boy wrote it.... I don't dig either of those shows, in the end, and I suffered through a season of both of them, trying to like them after all the positive press that they got...