Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reshoot

9mmalpha

I shoot a major match recently , I think I performed well on a difficult stage with fast time and good hits / possibly a stage win . suddenlly the RO told me that I had to reshoot because someone had taped one metric target just before he gets there to call the hits , despite the plea by the shooter who taped the target that he knew what the hit is , and that he though he was already asked to start taping. the RO insisted that I have to reshoot.

the shooter apologized to me , I knew he had an honest mistake , but Im not sure if the RO made the right call about asking me to reshoot. are they not suppose to trust the competitors they asked for help taping ?

If it was a USPSA match then it is covered by rule 9.1.3. If it was an IPSC match then rule 9.1.3 covers the situation. In both cases the RO was correct. For the reasons posted above that is why the rule exists and should be followed.

You will become a better shooter if you take the time to study the rules in respect to what you cannot do and what you are allowed to do.

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

At a few major matches I've seen RO's tell the squad something along the lines of "we're going to start with this target, and work in that direction, please don't get ahead of us". Pretty smart idea!

I've seen that as well. Terrific idea!

At a few major matches I've seen RO's tell the squad something along the lines of "we're going to start with this target, and work in that direction, please don't get ahead of us". Pretty smart idea!

Except when someone is flapping their jaws and not listening to the instructions :angry2:

Except when someone is flapping their jaws and not listening to the instructions :angry2:

Does that ever happen? LOL

We do need shorter WSB's. (hint to the RM's and MD's) Those things tend to grow

the RO was correct I hope your re-shoot was better than your 1st

thanks for the answer ' The RO's call is right" thank god I didnt even try arguing about it lol ...

my 2nd went bad finishing 5th and cost me 20pts + / the re shoot is fun its like eating extra apple for free it just happens that apple is rotten

And then they go a different direction.

LOL! I remember having arguments with my school teacher about clockwise vs counterclockwise rotation of the planet Earth. The so called counterclockwise rotation is only true when viewed from above the North pole. Since she never stipulated in the test question from which point of view, either answer should be correct.

So when RO's say that they will we pasting in a clockwise direction, is there an implied point of view?

LOL! I remember having arguments with my school teacher about clockwise vs counterclockwise rotation of the planet Earth. The so called counterclockwise rotation is only true when viewed from above the North pole. Since she never stipulated in the test question from which point of view, either answer should be correct.

So when RO's say that they will we pasting in a clockwise direction, is there an implied point of view?

You have... literally... made this into rocket science.

Epic fail. roflol.gif

From above the ground, at the range. Where you'd be if you were pasting.

I think you are confusing which way clocks run with the direction of the earth's rotation.

Not mine.... Engage as visible. :)

That is just the procedure. There is the rest of the book requirements to the WSB. And then....all the extra.

You have... literally... made this into rocket science.

Epic fail. roflol.gif

I just point and say we will start on the right (or left) and work our way around—and no one touches a target until we pass. No need complicating a one horse parade.

Curtis

That is just the procedure. There is the rest of the book requirements to the WSB. And then....all the extra.

Where things usually go crazy is the procedure, esp for local matches. The book stuff that has to go in there isn't to bad and is usually about the same length....

JT

Where things usually go crazy is the procedure, esp for local matches. The book stuff that has to go in there isn't to bad and is usually about the same length....

JT

Well, that was not what I was talking about when I brought the point up. I probably wasn't clear.

"Welcome to the 20xx __________ match.:" (Like everybody doesn't know what year it is and what match they are at. Oh...any number of match officials have already welcomed them at the shooter's meeting.)

"This is Stage 5, Charlie's Payback." OK...the stage number is fine. We want folks to get the right stickers on their score sheets. But, nobody really ever remembers the stage names. Look through any report on a match where they talk about a stage...it is always described by the prop. "You know...Stage 8, the one with the stomp pad that activates two movers."

"Gun is loaded and holstered per 8.1.1 & 8.1.2" Jeez...what is the point of that? It is easier to just say the gun ready condition. Or..."default". George covered this best as RM at an Area 8 match a few years back. In the shooter's meeting, he covered that the default gun ready condition would in place unless otherwise noted. The CRO's didn't have to read it over and over all for 4 days. Simple and sweet.

And, on and on. They often fill up a page of paper.

Having read a gabillion on these at major matches, I can tell you that everybody looses interests. Then, when you are done, they ask you again what the start position is, how many rounds it is, and how much steel. huh.gif

"Gun is loaded and holstered per 8.1.1 & 8.1.2" Jeez...what is the point of that? It is easier to just say the gun ready condition. Or..."default". George covered this best as RM at an Area 8 match a few years back. In the shooter's meeting, he covered that the default gun ready condition would in place unless otherwise noted. The CRO's didn't have to read it over and over all for 4 days. Simple and sweet.

To clarify just a bit (if memory does not fail me)....

We were going to be working in bad rain and wanted to minimize any wasted time. There were a couple of "this will be the same for all stages" items in the shooters meeting. One was that all barrels were soft cover. I don't immediately recall the other item.

But Flex is right about the gun ready condition. I did not include the common "8.1.1 and 8.1.2" reference. I personally dislike wasting time on that. Why do we feel the need to quote those particular rules? If they are so important, why do we not quote rule numbers for everything else we mention in the WSB? My suspicion is that because it was used at a major match in the past and everyone assumed it was encouraged or required.

Here's another one: Why do we mention that time will stop with our last shot? It's in the rules. Just a hold-over from way back when we changed from stopwatches to timers, I suspect.

But here's the best one: Why do we mention that the match will run under the current USPSA rulebook? It's a USPSA match, what other rules would we possibly be using?

Keep the WSBs short and to the point. Rule 3.2.1 covers all the required information. Anything else is mostly unnecessary, although some optional items may be a good idea (such as the default competitor ready position) for those shooters who aren't very knowledgeable about the finer points of the rules.

:cheers: