Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 226 Or Glock 17

Rosshooting

What is your opinion if you must take a decision for IPSC production division gun to compete? If you have to choose between Glock 17 and Sig Sauer 226 which one will pick it up? Is there Sig some disadvantages in that division and is there some good points? I am asking that question because I am in big dilemma ( Sigs are my weakness ) but I am watching for maximum efficiency! :huh:

For IPSC (NOT USPSA):

Glock 17 compare/contrast to Sig 226.

Capacity is a wash: both can get 17. Of course the Sig needs an aftermarket mag.

Sight radius is a wash.

Reliability is a wash.

Out of the box factory accuracy is a point for the Sig.

Price is a point for the Glock.

OEM sights availability is a point for the Glock, but Sig sights are finally becomming available.

Reloadability is a point for the Sig. I still believe that the SIG is a fantastic gun to reload.

Grip is a personal thing. Does the Glock bite you hand? Does the Sig sit too low in the hand.

Slide stop position is a wash. I rarely lock back either the 226 or the Glock when I run the gun dry.

For many, trigger is the real question....

Would you rather have a heavy LONG first shot pull followed by a relatively light and short follow-up shot. -- or -- Would you rather have the same short heavy shot each time? By heavy, I mean the IPSC mandated 5lb pull.

have fun

The Glock would be my first choice solely based on the trigger. I have a 226, and love it, but the first shot can be a pain in the butt.

If you are only going to be shooting USPSA, and not IPSC, I would also take a very serious look at the Springfiled. I like that better than either of the other two guns, but that just me. ;)

I'm a glocker, but it's hard not to be impressed with Sig's accuracy. See if Ernest Langdon can fix the DA trigger and you should be good to go. Sig accuracy in SA mode is top notch. The stock DA trigger is a disaster, however.

Don't go by what anyone *tells* you. Take the guns for a test drive. Ergonomics are going to determine speed. And the ergonomics between me and mag changes on the Glock aren't for squat. You mileage will vary - considerably.

Back here, I can get a Glock and another gun for the price of a Sig. They're that expensive! But if cost is a non-issue, I'd probably be getting a Sig for IPSC Prod. Not downgrading Glock but I've seen a fair number with broken breech faces and kb's, and I'm not even shooting that long. Plus the fact that warranty work for us back here is next to impossible.

David nailed pretty much said it all, but I must take issue with one of his, uh, issues...

Does the Sig sit too low in the hand.

Shirley, you must be joking. I think the major drawback of SiG pistols is their excessive height above the hand and high bore axis.

It all has to do with personal preference. I think you can reach World Shoot winning performance with any handgun that doesn't have major flaws.

I would say: if you like the SIGs, buy one or use the one you have. If practicing with a SIG makes you happy, you'll practice more with yours.

As for the SIG and the gun sitting too high in the hand:

I was the first production GM and to get there I used an OLD Sig 226 that I bought used. The trigger and custom sights (.090 front & .110 rear) were done by EGW. I used Blade-Tech DOH and Blade-Tech mag pouches.

I probably still be shooting the Sig EXCEPT that for me, my right thumb nearly always holds the slide stop down preventing slide lock. For IPSC this is probably not a big deal because you should never be running a 17 round gun dry. But for USPSA and the 10-round limit, there are times that you actually plan to run the gun empty. It is even more important when shooting IDPA to have a gun that goes to slide lock when empty.

Now if a 226 were made with a smaller slide stop and a grip that somewhat enclosed it.......hmmm

I would go with glock for ipsc. It’s a bullet proof gun, you don't have to take care about safety’s just load and shoot. The price for the gun is very good as well as for the mags and spares. It may not be a precision gun like the sig which i would prefer for 25m static precision shooting disciplines but for ipsc the glock is more than good enough to shoot double alpha and it's very reliable to.

Load and get ready

DVC Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Glock, and a Sig 226.

The Sig is more accurate, and has always been 100% reliable. I believe the Sig also gives me less "felt" recoil than the Glock.

The things I don't like about the Sig is the trigger reset (which an earlier post said could be taken care of), and the small slide release, because, when shooting USPSA production, or IDPA, you are limited to ten rounds. Especially in IDPA, because, it is faster for me to do a mag change out of slide lock, than a mag change, with retention. I have a little trouble finding the slide release, at times.

I used my Sig in 2001 and 2002, to win the Wisconsin, state IPSC (actually, USPSA) match, in "production". I used Glock in 2003, and threw the match in the toilet. Although, I did have some malfunctions, with the Glock, I really believe I could have had a chance, winning the match, if I wouldn't have my head up my a$$. But, it is ALWAYS nice to blame the gun, for our mistakes!

What it comes down to, is that either will suit your purpose. It is a matter of what feels best, in your hand.

David,

About how many rounds through your 226 and how many malfunctions (really) have you had? Just been playing around with my 226 in 40 and am getting an EL trigger job on it. If nice enough, I might get a 226ST in 40 and play a bit with it. Bue want to see how good the trigger is first. After shooting 1911's forever, I need to see how good the trigger can get first. Was yours a 40 or 9?

You also might want to talk to a Sig owner that has had to deal with the factory concerning service after the sale. This may just be a US thing but based on some fellow shooters' experience, I'd think twice. Glock tends to be VERY good about service after the sale should you need it. Sigs are usually high quality so YMMV. Let the buyer beware. :ph34r:

I just picked up a 226 and the night sights are off. POI is 2" low. Called Sig and they were as friendly as could be. The lady was very helpful. Told me when My gun was manf. and gave me the info to contact Trijicon as the sights were put on by the dealer not the factory. Called Trijicon and expected to have to buy a new sight. Nope they are on back order but as soon as one comes in they will send me the needed sight to correct the POI :) . I install it and send them the old one on there dime. I would have to rate Sig and Trijicon as top self in CS. Maybe I am the exception but I doubt it, they were great!

• 1 year later...

I shoot a P226 in USPSA production class and love it. So far alloy frame on both my P226 & P220 are just fine. Though to avoid any problems I change the recoil spring out about every 2,000 - 3.000 rounds. The only thing is that I shoot with IPSCDRL and we did have a freind get a raw deal from Sig on a broken gun. Either the Glock or the Sig will normally shoot better than the person holding it at least with me. But try them both out for yourself and pick what works for you.