Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Use Blackhawk Serpa Holsters in USPSA?

USPSAShooter

Hi Y'all,

I was wondering if anyone uses the Blackhawk Serpa Holsters in USPSA and could offer any tips on not getting caught up during the draw. I have used Blackhawk holsters in the past but they weren't the Serpa versions but have recently switched to the Serpa holster for my Ruger SR9. My problem is that I"m forgetting to press the button to release the gun. Does anyone have any tips or drills that they do to not get caught up on the draw like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SR9Shooter

I know that you asked about using the Serpa in USPSA, but the detectives in my police department use this holster and I believe that the answer to your question is just repetitions. I have used this holster a lot in a "on duty" staus and have found it to be a very natural and quick holster, for one that has a mechanical release. Just spend some time and you'll be fine.

Deactivate it?

+1

Frankly, if you use one of these and don't take the time to practice with it, this is the best solution, especially if all you use it for are matches.

I don't use one, but I've RO'd enough shooters to see that a number of them have problems like this with the holster. If you choose to not disable, then practice like heck. Otherwise, take your time on the draw when the buzzer goes off so you don't do something foolish in your rush to make up time.

Edited by vluc

+1 on deactivate it. I have the same holster and after the first match I came home and was able to walk the pin out the bottom that holds in the lever and completely remove it. Be careful there is a little bent piece of metal behind it to act as a spring. Adjust the screw for the actual holster tension and it works great. And if I ever want to it's easy to put the lever back on.

Jeff

I have one I use with a Beretta 96 in production and it works well. You just need to dry fire practice a lot so hitting the button becomes automatic. Depending on where your finger winds up on the draw you may want to deactivate it anyway. With the Beretta my finger lands on the frame just above the trigger. I shoot with a guy that had one for his Glock and he said that his finger wound up on the trigger when he was coming out of the holster because of where the button was located.

I started with one of this.

But ended up switching to a bladetech holster.

The thing that helped me a bit when I used the serpa, was to slow my draw down a fraction of a second. Just to eliminate any jerkinnes and replace it with smoothness.

I feel the serpa is very touchy to lack of smoothness.

If you slow down a fraction of a second you will hit the release naturally almost with out thought. This may also help you get a more consistent grip with your strong hand.

Anyway if you are not using your comp time as a suplement for training (as in your doing it for fun) I would seriously suggest you switch to a holster with no retention divices or locks.

Cheers,

Los

I think the only problem with using the serpa with no lock is that the holster loses all retantation. Which can be a problem if you have a non standard shooting position.

Like laying on your back.

There's a chance the gun could fall our of the holster and turn into a dq.

If you find the price of the blade tech to high then look at other options with no retention divices, maybe a leather holster?

I started with a Serpa and had a few problem with it at first. But after a little practice, I found that my finger not only started hitting the release right on cue, but it put that finger right along side the slide and kept it away from the trigger until I was indexed on the target. IOW, it's actually a good training aid.

One other thing, because of the lock, they can cut the front of the holster down further than many holsters that rely exclusively on passive retention. This can actually make it easier to get the gun out once you learn to use it.

Lastly, you can do cartwheels without your gun falling out, if you've a mind to.

I shoot with a guy that had one for his Glock and he said that his finger wound up on the trigger when he was coming out of the holster because of where the button was located.

Yes, we had that happen to a local (new) shooter this year, and he put a bullet through his leg at a match when this happened. :surprise: I'm not saying it's bad, unsafe, or anything like that, but it is something to be aware of. R,

I started with a Serpa and had a few problem with it at first. But after a little practice, I found that my finger not only started hitting the release right on cue, but it put that finger right along side the slide and kept it away from the trigger until I was indexed on the target. IOW, it's actually a good training aid.

One other thing, because of the lock, they can cut the front of the holster down further than many holsters that rely exclusively on passive retention. This can actually make it easier to get the gun out once you learn to use it.

Lastly, you can do cartwheels without your gun falling out, if you've a mind to.

+1 I'm pro-lock.

Also, I like it because I don't have to "jerk" it out to over come the "retention" of the blade-tech style. Once it is deactivated it is almost loose in there so the draw feels smooth.

ymmv just something to consider...

and then there is the frequent need for cart wheels to consider...

I shoot with a guy that had one for his Glock and he said that his finger wound up on the trigger when he was coming out of the holster because of where the button was located.

Yes, we had that happen to a local (new) shooter this year, and he put a bullet through his leg at a match when this happened. :surprise: I'm not saying it's bad, unsafe, or anything like that, but it is something to be aware of. R,

We also had a shooter do the same thing at a local match. I think it is a matter of improper technique/lack of training with the holster and not enough practice. Some training schools have banned the use of Serpas due to training accidents with them and I know of at least one club that considered banning them.

I can't understand why a competitor would want to use a holster with a demonstrated, documented risk of shooting yourself in the leg. If you don't want to spend the extra money for a Bladetech (my personal favorite in Kydex holsters) then find another alternative. There is no way a person can guarantee that a mistake won't be made during the draw even after hundreds of repetitions. Any increase in the probability of a self inflicted bullet wound is too much for me.

I use the CQC for my single stack as well, like it alot. Ready Tactical is another option for Kydex rigs. I do have a Serpa holster for a J frame though and didn't like the lock. I just put a small o-ring, like 1/2 inch o.d., under the lever. It keeps it deactivated and is easy to reverse if I ever wanna do cartwheels. Probably a bit of thick rubber band would be ok too. Just my .02, YMMV.

Kevin

I can't understand why a competitor would want to use a holster with a demonstrated, documented risk of shooting yourself in the leg. If you don't want to spend the extra money for a Bladetech (my personal favorite in Kydex holsters) then find another alternative. There is no way a person can guarantee that a mistake won't be made during the draw even after hundreds of repetitions. Any increase in the probability of a self inflicted bullet wound is too much for me.

So, by that logic you most definitely don't drive a vehicle with a demonstrated, documented risk of getting in accidents....correct?

Misuse or lack of training is just that, blaming an inanimate object is silliness in the extreme.

So, by that logic you most definitely don't drive a vehicle with a demonstrated, documented risk of getting in accidents....correct?

Misuse or lack of training is just that, blaming an inanimate object is silliness in the extreme.

Actually there are documented cases of ADs (mainly in FoF simulations but I believe it has happened in live fire training iterations as well) from guys who would be considered by most to be well trained.

The point is that there are far too many other choices out there for the OP to be using something that forces him to use his trigger finger to do something other than press the trigger.

Edited by spanky

Check this thread. As Flex states, Gomez knows what he's talking about. I have trained with him and hung out with him a good bit over the past few years and the guy knows his stuff, period. The guy is a freakin' walking encyclopedia of anything and everything shooting related.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67485

Specifically post 6 (which came from Tactical Responses' FAQ site) TR is not the only training school that specifically disallows the Serpa holster

I'll get off my soapbox now. :D

Edited by spanky

• 3 weeks later...

Deactivation is too easy on a SERPA. All you have to do is insert a small screw through the plastic so the tip holds the retention lever down. It allows you to have retention when you want just by removing the screw, or for a match, insert the screw and have no worries. I've tried it and it works great!

+1 on this. I have never had an issue in almost 2 years where the gun tried to "jump" out of the holster.

As others have said, the SERPA is an excellent aid in reinforcing the proper drawing motions and trigger finger position. One of the officers that shoots with my club said his department just switched to the SERPA Lv 3 and he really likes it. He did say that a lot of the officers with "bad shooting habits" are having some trouble because they try to jam their finger into the trigger guard BEFORE the draw and come close to giving themselves a wedgie! :roflol: :roflol:

All in all, give yourself some dry-fire repetitions to get your finger in the correct spot and you should not have any problems.