Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are M&P's more prone to problems than other guns?

tobin

Hello All

I have been competing in IDPA and IPSC for the last 10 years and have gone through a lot of guns. My two most commonly used guns now are the CZ 85 Combat in IPSC Production and my Glock 17 in IDPA SSP. I have shot a few M&P's and I like the grip, accuracy and trigger. However, I do hear a lot about the M&P's having problems.

I shot an M&P Pro recently that would not reset the trigger about once every mag. This was with factory ammo and about 1000 rounds through the gun. I have heard the strikers break frequently and are on the third version. I just wonder if I am buying problems as my CZ's and Glocks are relatively trouble free. Since I am in Canada, warranty work is not quite as simple as down south. The fellow with the non resetting trigger was quoted 2-3 months for a repair.

I have also considered a Glock 17 Gen 4 but I have read some interesting comments on this board about those as well.

Any advice would be appreciated as I can't get the M&P Pro out of my head!

Dont know about the Pro, but i have 2 M&P 40 full size, with over 10,000 rds on each of them with ZERO failures, Daniel at Powder River Precision did trigger jobs on both, and they work flawless, i would not hesitate to but another, hope this helps.

Hello All

I have been competing in IDPA and IPSC for the last 10 years and have gone through a lot of guns. My two most commonly used guns now are the CZ 85 Combat in IPSC Production and my Glock 17 in IDPA SSP. I have shot a few M&P's and I like the grip, accuracy and trigger. However, I do hear a lot about the M&P's having problems.

I shot an M&P Pro recently that would not reset the trigger about once every mag. This was with factory ammo and about 1000 rounds through the gun. I have heard the strikers break frequently and are on the third version. I just wonder if I am buying problems as my CZ's and Glocks are relatively trouble free. Since I am in Canada, warranty work is not quite as simple as down south. The fellow with the non resetting trigger was quoted 2-3 months for a repair.

I have also considered a Glock 17 Gen 4 but I have read some interesting comments on this board about those as well.

Any advice would be appreciated as I can't get the M&P Pro out of my head!

Do a search on the pro. There have been lots of threads on it. Some love them and others, uhh, don't love them. Personally I had issues with mine, got tired of nursing it, and sold it. As far as I know the guy who bought it is happy with it. I went to a G34 and it has been like night and day. It has never failed me in any way.

I love my M&Ps but I have to admit, I have had some problems.

The early ones, a 9 and 3 .40s never had any trouble other than some light primer strikes when they got above 10K rounds, 35K in one case. I have also had light primer strikes in one of the newer 9Pros I got this year so I run the extra power striker springs in all of them and haven't had any problem with light strikes since.

I did break the lower portion of one striker (the part that engages the sear). Was swapping parts around so not sure which gun it came from.

I got one of the 9Cs when they first came out. It had the common problem of the mags falling out. I sent it back, they fixed it, I put another 800 or so through it with no problems before selling it.

One of the 9Pros I got this year had a terrible trigger. It was like 2 trigger pulls, once to move the firing pin stop and another to drop the sear. I put the Apex sear and firing pin stop in and it is wonderful, now.

The other 9Pro had a decent trigger but I still put the Apex parts in to make it great. From the very first match I had some trouble with it not resetting the trigger (like you mentioned). It happened 6 or 8 times that first match. I swapped parts (frames, slides, etc) around with different M&Ps until the problem went away.

Do I think they are as reliable as a Glock? No. Will I switch? No way. I love the way they feel and shoot too much.

I have a Pro with close to 10,000 rounds throughout it. I've never had a problem with it. You'll hear people say they love it and people say they hate it. The best you can do is try one to see if it works for you.

I have both a Glock 17 and a M&P 9L. The M&P has been 100% while the Glock chokes occasionally.

The M&P has more rounds through it in the 2 months I have owned it than the Glock has had in the 9 years I have owned it. The Glock is stock, the M&P has had light trigger work.

Light strikes are the most common issue with the Glock.

I used to blame it on striker fired guns. Then I got (2) Kahr P9s and an XD. All three have

run 100% with whatever ammo I feed them. So it isn't the striker issue, at least on them.

Only the GLock has problems. I will probably dump the Glock. Other than being the simplest

gun to disassemble and reassemble, it doesn't have anything on the other guns I own.

Just my experience.

Craig

Edited by spd522

Strikers break from dry firing and S&W released a new one that's supposed to last 70,000 this year. Did the Pro have any trigger work done to it? I hear most of them not resetting because they were modified.

Strikers break from dry firing and S&W released a new one that's supposed to last 70,000 this year. Did the Pro have any trigger work done to it? I hear most of them not resetting because they were modified.

No, this M&P Pro was box stock and has had issues from the start. One thing I have seen on another forum is to try a heavier bullet as I think the 115 gr. load was all he has used till now. A 124 gr. or 147 gr. might be interesting to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks to all for the input!

Totally stock, Glocks will run. When modified, I've seen them malfunction. That S&W is continually coming out with revised parts is a good thing. Look at how many things have changed on the Glocks too. Spring loaded bearing (different lengths and colors), Extractors (angles have changed and included LCI now), etc. It seems that every once in a while they change something for better durability or function. Same with S&W. I didn't know that the Pro's were having issues, even when stock. Bummer. Maybe it's the "tuning" they get from the factory, or lack of it. At least they're on top of it and have a really good turn around for repairs.

It's usually hard to choke a Glock, but the Glock 40 caliber likes short bullets with a round nose bullet. If you reload or like to use hollow points, then loading for a Glock takes special attention. As a starting point, an OAL of 1.135 is good. When it get around 1.150 or longer you are asking for a malfunction; usually in the magazine. At least that has been my experience.

On the other hand, my M&P seems to function on every bullet. I haven't had a gun malfunction yet on the M&P. Me likes it! :cheers:

It's usually hard to choke a Glock, but the Glock 40 caliber likes short bullets with a round nose bullet. If you reload or like to use hollow points, then loading for a Glock takes special attention. As a starting point, an OAL of 1.135 is good. When it get around 1.150 or longer you are asking for a malfunction; usually in the magazine. At least that has been my experience.

On the other hand, my M&P seems to function on every bullet. I haven't had a gun malfunction yet on the M&P. Me likes it! :cheers:

My M&P cant handle the Missouri bullet 125gr Lead RN unless its really short. like under 1.10 OAL. Other than that its great.

I like my .40C. I had an old striker and it did break while dry firing. S&W sent me a new replacement striker just on my word. It's held up for several thousand rounds and probably as many dry fires since. The chamber fully supports the round. I have had NO MALFUNCTIONS of any mechanical kind while shooting. I trust it.

• 5 months later...

I've been carrying a stock M&P 40 for a few years. It has about 4000 rds through it and I've never had a single problem with it. It's fed every round I've put into it - bulk, PD ammo, lead, handloads. You can't have mine, but I think you can do a whole lot worse than an M&P.

Just an update. I bought a FS M&P in 9mm and was a fairly new version with the newer notched rear sight. This gun had the Apex sear in it already so the trigger was great and I shot it for a while but I eventually sold it and bought a Glock Gen 4. I had no problems or stoppages with the M&P or any functional issues.

I liked the M&P for the most part, but I have been shooting Glocks so long, the M&P just never felt right to me.

Just an update. I bought a FS M&P in 9mm and was a fairly new version with the newer notched rear sight. This gun had the Apex sear in it already so the trigger was great and I shot it for a while but I eventually sold it and bought a Glock Gen 4. I had no problems or stoppages with the M&P or any functional issues.

I liked the M&P for the most part, but I have been shooting Glocks so long, the M&P just never felt right to me.

Understandable... If you've shot Glocks for a long time you probably have misshapen Quasi-Moto hands at this point. Once you're hands have reached this point a Glock is always the best choice! :devil:

I love my M&P. It's a standard 9mm with 5500-6000 rounds down the pipe and I have never cleaned it once. I am not nice to it and it Never fails to run. I take it apart every now and again to look at the fur growing inside. It's my little experiment.