Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Liquid chalk to help your grip?

bird

I tried Pro-grip once and it seemed to give me a better grip on my pistol with less muscle tension.

I do not know where to buy pro-grip  so I have tried weight lifters chalk (messy) and even pine tar (which was too sticky).

Is pro-grip a "trick of the day" or does it help?

Any other similiar products out there that you have had good luck with?

Thanks

bird, Pro-grip really helps me too!   I learned that I need to keep the bases of my thumbs pressed firmly together to keep my second shot in the same place as my first one.  If I leave a gap between the heels of my thumbs, the gun torques and my shots spread out.  Pro-grip keeps the heels from sliding on each other.  I tried pine tar too, and it works if I use it on the heel area only.   I get the Pro-grip from Brownell's like Bigbad does.   But I'd rather buy it here!

Thankyou all for  the help.

The guy who let me use his pro-grip gave me an internet link but I forgot what it was.

I wish Brian would sell it.

Bonedaddy, I too find that keeping my thumbs/heels of my hands pressed together really helps with keeping that 2nd shot in the A zone.

I also find that digging my rh fingers into my left hand gives me that 360 degree neutral grip in both hands.

I have been using pine tar along the areas where my thumbs/heels of my hands meet to give me a "sticky" reference point.

Thanks again for all the help and I find that by using "chalk"  it helps me to shoot with the relaxed aggression that seems to work for me.

When shooting use maximum muscle strength while being totally relaxed..

I like and use the pro-grip in humid conditions. In the dry desert at Rio Salado, I prefer just wiping my hands on the desert floor just before I shoot. The dust is great - maybe I should bottle it... ;)

The margin has to be good to consider stocking and shipping any product. But with small things, like Wilson or SV products, my grease and books, I suppose I could almost always through another product in the same package without affecting the shipping. (Big consideration.)

be

Just be warned, Pro-grip is like liquid "crack" - once you start using it, you just don't feel right shooting with out it, it almost becomes a mental NEED, whether you're hands are sweaty or not  :)

But I do like it......

Well, there are a couple of substitutes.. you could pop by a climbing gear store and grab a chalk bag or an 'eco-ball' (no chalky mess). I've also used some stuff I found in the Tennis aisle of my local sporting goods store. So far the Pro Grip is still the best for me..

(and we need it down here in TX right now..)

Shooter40,

I also agree, once you start using it, you want it everytime you shoot or it doesn't feel right.

The stuff shred is talking about in the tennis aisle is made by the company "Prince". They are a maker of tennis rackets, bags, balls and about everything else tennis related. If you guys are in a pinch and need something fast to replace your ProGrip and can't find any, go to a sports store and get the bottle of grip enhancer by "Prince". I tried some and it is exactly like ProGrip, color, drying, feel, etc.

BE,

So TGO doesn't use anything on his hands at all when shooting? Maybe dirt is the way to go, it worked for Russell Crowe in Gladiator?

• 2 weeks later...

Up in the great white north, where the seasons can be very wet, very cold, very hot, very dry or all of the above in one weekend, many of us like to use skate board tape shaped and wrapped around the grips and held in place by the glue and the grip screws. Its cheap and very effective. Give it a try.

I have been told that Pro-grip is pretty much just an industrial strength anti-persperint and that using it a lot is not that great for your hands, So now I use the pro grip once at the start of the match and I have a pouch of chaulk that i use to touch up the spots where it starts to wear off. I find that at the end off the match my hads are not as dried out as they used to be when I just used the progrip, and I don't find any loss in my grip when I go to the Chaulk.

I Had to buy the spray kind a while back because I was in desperate need of it and the guy was out of the gel.  I would not suggest getting the spray,  It seemed like it took more to get my hands dry and that it didn't last as long as the gel.

Shooter40 is dead on with his Crack analogy Ever since I started using a grip enhancer I can't shoot a stage without putting it on, Hell I even use it when shooting PPC and Bullseye.  Its just one of the things that I feel I need to do in oder to shoot at my best.

Even if you don't use it all the time it's good to have in your range bag just in case you get a really devilish stage where you have to start with your hands under water.

(Edited by Mike Dame at 1:50 pm on May 14, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

I use a tennis wrist/sweat band in conjunction with magnesium carbonate "chalk".... a side benefit when you shoot out of state, if you carry the stuff in a small baggie the white powder catches the attention of all the LEO's on your squad... Les

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I know it's an old thread. But I just found out the "Sticky Grip" (by Mueller) I've been using is leaving some residue on my mags and everything is sticking on it. A dropped mag takes one heck of a time to clean.

I can't find ProGrip here but there's FastGrip (I think the same one Eric G is using). Has anybody tried this stuff? Will it also leave some sticky residue on anything you touch?

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks.

I must be the only person who has to put stuff on the hands to keep them moist enough to get my grip. I am constantly putting lotion on. Seems weird. Thought about using Progrip. Heck, even bought some. Found out that my hands are more slippery when dried out. Odd.

Liota

Since I started using AGrip a couple of years ago, I find I don't need additional grip enhancements. However, before then, I didn't really like Pro Grip and started using a powder product that I liked much better called Cramer Firm Grip. I liked it because it gave me a firm dry grip without a sticky feeling. Here's a link to a picture of the bottle:

http://www.cpwsa.com/cramer_firm_grip.htm

Here's one for Things I Have Noticed:

Check your sunblock before shooting a major match - ProGrip or not, if it's on your hands and is not completely oil/lotion free (alcohol based gels or sprays seem ok), you might as well be trying to grab a greased pig.

i use pro-grip all the time. shooting in memphis, tn in the summer time is hell. hands sweating all the time. if you don't like pro-grip, you can use a alcohol swap, it cleans the oil of your hands as well as the sweat. this keeps your hands dry enough to finish a stage.

one note on sun block. i put sun block on at the house before leaving for the range. the stuff lasts all day and i can clean my hands at the house.

lynn