Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good 22LR pump or lever rifle?

Hello: I didn't quite know where to put this. I am looking for a good quality 22LR pump or lever action rifle. I have a Henry catalog that came last week and they have some great looking rifles in there. I was wondering what you guys are using and what is the best. It will be used for rimfire matches and plinking. It will be used by me for now but my sons may get a chance to use it once in a while :roflol: Any info is appreciated. Thanks, Eric

I use to have a Henry basic model. Shot every thing I feed it. Even mixed shorts, longs and long rifle rounds in the magazine at the sametime. Henry action is smooth thru the the lever throw, don't feel ejection or pickup of the next round.

I got a Browning BL-22 now and like it more than the Henry. Browning has only about a 25 degree lever throw to cycle the action. It is a bit crisper than Henry due to very short throw. Browning is accurate and and no malifuncations.

I would pick the Browning for a match, can be cycled quicker and I like the front sight.

Let me tell you a little story about Henry Repeating Arms.

My dad turned 60 2 years ago, he wanted a Henry for his birthday. The family pooled money together and I went to the store to buy him one, they didnt have a new one but only had a single used one in the rack that looked almost brand new. I got it, 200 bucks OTD. Gave it to him and then about 2 months passed before I could get him out with me to shoot it. It was a saturday and we went to my buddies place and set up various targets like a shooting gallery ..... he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn.

I got home that night and sent Henry an email asking if there was anything that could be done, the rear was drifted to the point where the ramp was about to fall out and it still was shooting about 6 inches right of POI. I told them that it was purchased used and didnt expect anything but was curious as if they have been having any problems. About 30 minutes later I recieved an email back from Anthony Imperato, if you arent sure who that is .... its the head of Henry. He told me to package it up and send it back addressed to him and that he would send me a replacement, UPGRADED to the octagonal barrel and buckhorn sights.

I packaged it up, and put it in the mail on the following monday morning. Shipped it out via UPS and cost me about 20 bucks IIRC. 2 weeks went buy and I got a call from my dad stating that his new rifle had showed up and it infact was upgraded to the octagon barrel and buckhorn sights, along with a note wishing him a happy birthday and an appology for the first rifle.

Now I never expected that kind of a response from henry but with that I will be a customer of theirs for life, and will share this story with anyone asking about them.

Between dad and I we each have a Henry rimfire lever gun.

I am with Dan on the Rem 572 pump.

I love mine it handles more like a rifle and is accurate.

Picked one up used to work on some "old time" trick shooting.

My wife has one of my "tricks" in her office.....a heart that

I "drew" with about twenty 22's in about three minutes off hand at 7 yards.

I post a photo when time permits

Patrick

I am with Dan on the Rem 572 pump.

I love mine it handles more like a rifle and is accurate.

Picked one up used to work on some "old time" trick shooting.

My wife has one of my "tricks" in her office.....a heart that

I "drew" with about twenty 22's in about three minutes off hand at 7 yards.

I post a photo when time permits

Patrick

Patrick,

My gun is trick, not my shooting. :roflol: I modified it to take box magazines so I could reload it faster for the side match I bought it for. Mike Plaxco had a long tube made for his that held the maximum of 20 rounds. I use 30 round mags in mine...

Dan you and Firebird Jim amaze me.

I have some machining skill and own both a 50's vintage SB Heavy 10 Toolroom lathe and

Clausing vertical knee mill, but you guys work magic with your minds and machines.

I would not know where to start on that kind of conversion (OK maybe having a mag in hand)

let alone get it done and running!

I swear, someday I will get to have a beer or three (coffee if that suits) with you!

It would have to make for good conversation.

Best

Patrick

Patrick,

Jim and I are kindred spirits! On that project, I did have the mags, and a 6" scale. I decided it would work, or be scrap.....I hate scrap! It was a no return project. There's no going back to the tube magazine, but, why would I want to. :roflol:

I hope to tip a cold one or two with you at one of the western matches.

Eric,

I have a Marlin 39 (1920's vintage) and a couple of Rossi Model 62's ( Winchester '09 copy). Both of these do multiple duty as Hunter Education, NRA Silhouette, Cowboy Side match and just plain fun in plinking. I personally have not been to impressed with the Henry, but having shot some original Winchesters in both pump and lever and owning an original Marlin, I am a bit biased :ph34r: .

Looking around the local silhouette match, I see Marlins 39 and 39A as the predominant rifle.

IMO the Marlin 39A is THE lever rifle. Man sized though. A Browning lever would fit a small person better.

Remington 572 is a really fun pump. I still have one from 30 years ago - If my brother who borrowed it has not pawned it... dry.gif

Hello: You guys are killing me :roflol: I think the pump will be faster for shooting steel but I do like the looks of the lever guns :cheers: I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Comp in 45LC now and love the looks of it. I just can't decide on which one. I know buy them all :devil: My name is not Merlin :roflol: Thanks, Eric

The Browning BLR has always been my favorite, and I'm a big man. The short throw lever means you never have to take your hand off the stock. Accuracy can be a crapshoot though, I've had one that would put 10 shots into a thumbnail at 25 yds, and one that wouldn't group into 2" at the same distance. My current one is a limited edition nickel barrel/receiver with silver laminated stock, beautiful gun.

+1 for the browning BL22 but (iirc) they're a bit pricier then henry's (which are also fine rifles). For a pump, you might do well with a remington fieldmaster. it worked great for me when I was 10, but I was happy enough to eventually hit the cans I was aiming at, not sure it's the best rifle for use on the clock. my recollection is that all of these come with rear notch or buckhorn sights, so would benefit from a tang sight or williams aperture sight.

A couple of years ago, I saw one of their commercials and was interested in a Goldenboy, so I sent off an email using a generic contact link (I think it was sales) I got off of their website. About 15 minutes later I got the reply. From Anthony Imperato himself answering all of my questions. So I go out and look at one and am so impressed I buy it on the spot. The fit, wood and finish remind me of the old Brownings, you just don't see that these days. I took it to the range and it was a tackdriver with several different loads. So I sent them another email stating how happy I was and how it was refreshing to see an American company delivering firearms like you could buy 50 years ago. And Anthony Imperato answered that one too thanking me for my business. Both of these emails were personally written and not just some generic automated response.

Dillon, Hornady, S&W and a few other companies all deliver outstanding customer service, but Henry just takes it to a whole new level. Where else do you get personal service from the President of the company? My suggestion is levergun from Henry.

Let me tell you a little story about Henry Repeating Arms.

My dad turned 60 2 years ago, he wanted a Henry for his birthday. The family pooled money together and I went to the store to buy him one, they didnt have a new one but only had a single used one in the rack that looked almost brand new. I got it, 200 bucks OTD. Gave it to him and then about 2 months passed before I could get him out with me to shoot it. It was a saturday and we went to my buddies place and set up various targets like a shooting gallery ..... he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn.

I got home that night and sent Henry an email asking if there was anything that could be done, the rear was drifted to the point where the ramp was about to fall out and it still was shooting about 6 inches right of POI. I told them that it was purchased used and didnt expect anything but was curious as if they have been having any problems. About 30 minutes later I recieved an email back from Anthony Imperato, if you arent sure who that is .... its the head of Henry. He told me to package it up and send it back addressed to him and that he would send me a replacement, UPGRADED to the octagonal barrel and buckhorn sights.

I packaged it up, and put it in the mail on the following monday morning. Shipped it out via UPS and cost me about 20 bucks IIRC. 2 weeks went buy and I got a call from my dad stating that his new rifle had showed up and it infact was upgraded to the octagon barrel and buckhorn sights, along with a note wishing him a happy birthday and an appology for the first rifle.

Now I never expected that kind of a response from henry but with that I will be a customer of theirs for life, and will share this story with anyone asking about them.

Between dad and I we each have a Henry rimfire lever gun.

Edited by Shadowrider

Hello: Well I talked to some cowboy shooters today about there 22's that they use for the Ruger Rimfire match and cowboy practice. The two popular lever guns are the Henry and Marlin 39. The Marlin holds more rounds so it has that going for it. They did say that the guns get better after 5000 rounds through them :surprise: The one I tried was a Golden boy with over 100,000 round and it was slick. The Marlin I tried only had about 60,000 rounds and was slick as well. The finish on the standard Henry lever is not very durable compared to the Marlin. I only saw one pump 22 and did not get a chance to see which one it was. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

I can't speak intelligently on the pump, but for a lever action you can't beat a Marlin 39A. I have a Golden Mountie made in 1967 and it's amazing. Still feeds and shoots smooth as ever and while not always relevent, the ability to shoot .22LR and .22short is nice to have. The easy breakdown and cleaning of it is a nice plus as well!

• 6 months later...

I've owned a BL22 Browning and loved it. It has a short lever throw and worked well for rimfire cowboy matches because it was fast. Another shooter became so fond of the rifle that he made an offer I couldn't refuse. I have a Rossi pump, and also a lever action Navy Arms '66, which is okay, but expensive (Uberti), neither of them worked as well as the Browning. One of our shooters had a Henry that he had nothing but trouble with, but I hear Henry's customer service is above reproach, still I would never want a Henry. I'd stick with a Browning if I were seriously going to shoot a 22 lever action, and I'd prefer a lever action to a pump. My 22LR of choice is a custom Ruger 10-22, but I hate their magazine, and a Sig 522 is looking pretty good.