Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Scopes for Action PIstol

Bafaction

I am sure this has been asked before but I just want your opinion on why you are using the brandof scope you have. I currently use a TASCO PDP3 Comp and I have had a it repaired twice for the dot going out (this is on 2 scopes) they have been great scopes except for that, I had a gilmore but the battery box fails on these and I have it fixed once and it has gone again. I am looking at getting another scope to use, I am not into buying a AIMPOINT, as they are just to expensive and I have heard of faults with them also (but you can get faults with any scope that is made) and the batteries are a bit harder to find.

Just suggestions will be great and comments of what you use and if you have had any trouble, I am really looking for a fine 3MOA dot and a very reliable scope that should last for years and very little paralax error.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brett,

I have killed all types of scopes except aimpoint. One of my 3 aimpoints had a problem and they fixed it straight away free of charge. They cost twice as much, but they last and dont fail in big matches, and they will fix them free of charge.

Save the dollars as an aimpoint will save you money in the long run.

I'm with Allan.

:surprise: Oh my god I agreed with an Aussie. I will now have to wash my mouth out, Makers Mark should do it.

Anyway I have 9 of the damn things, since Aimpoint discontinued the Comp series I have bought as many as I can sneak past the wife. I am not fond of the new Micro, but I now have one a project gun. It works, but I am just so fond of the Comp3.

I have a really old blue CompC and it is going great on my IPSC gun.

Tasco are OK (I still have 2, but only on 22lr), but you will have to buy a new one each year, and put in on the gun, sight it in, take it off, put the older one back on until it fails, which won't be long. I sell a lot of the new Phillipino made PDP3's and they seem OK, not as good as the old Japan made ones, but way better than anything I have found out of PRC.

A call to John Pride might be in order. Actionpistolero swears by his PFI. He has had that for 3 years now. 70K+ rounds as far as I know, so it will be worth a chat with him.

Edited by gm iprod

I'm with Allan.

:surprise: Oh my god I agreed with an Aussie. I will now have to wash my mouth out, Makers Mark should do it.

Anyway I have 9 of the damn things, since Aimpoint discontinued the Comp series I have bought as many as I can sneak past the wife. I am not fond of the new Micro, but I now have one a project gun. It works, but I am just so fond of the Comp3.

I have a really old blue CompC and it is going great on my IPSC gun.

Tasco are OK (I still have 2, but only on 22lr), but you will have to buy a new one each year, and put in on the gun, sight it in, take it off, put the older one back on until it fails, which won't be long. I sell a lot of the new Phillipino made PDP3's and they seem OK, not as good as the old Japan made ones, but way better than anything I have found out of PRC.

A call to John Pride might be in order. Actionpistolero swears by his PFI. He has had that for 3 years now. 70K+ rounds as far as I know, so it will be worth a chat with him.

Strewth ! :blush: 9 Aimpoints..... that's one for every other gun in EnZed. No wonder you have that big red truck :bow: - gotta carry all the Aimpoint batteries around somehow I guess.

C-More! Nuf said.

dot too big and too high on top of a moverbase.

my aimpoint is the origional comp. about 12 years old. still runs good even with the dents. well worth the $$$

the pfi is a little cheaper to buy.

gotta carry all the Aimpoint batteries around somehow I guess.

The great thing about the newer Aimpoints is that they run 4-8 years on one battery even if you never turn them off.

C-More! Nuf said.

Great for speed. Not so much for accuracy especially at 50 yards. Too much paralax, just ask TJ.

PFI is the only way to go. I usually only use the single dot but have used the other reticles when conditions get weird. I have used Aimpoints and they are great scopes. I just like the fact that with a PFI I can change reticles at the turn of a switch.

C-More is not the best for AP at all. I agree with Kevin, get the PFI if you don't like the Aimpoint Micro.

I have tested, in a jig from 10 to 50Yards, every scope that I could get my hands on. The Aimpoint came out the winner and not by a small margin. Now the PFI was not available at that time, and is still very difficult to get down here, and by comparison with the TAsco very expensive, but I know they work. If all my Aimpoints died tomorrow then I will call John and get a couple sent down.

No one has done any good at AP with a C-more, I can assure you that if there was an advatnage to using one someone in the top 10 or 20 at the Cup would have done so and won.

Now for IPSC and Speed very good and I believe one of the best, more importantly they are designed specifically for IPSC etc, I used one for a couple of years when I was serious about killing goats quickly with an AR, mounted a railway on the handle with a forward mount, rapid at short range and more than accurate for my needs to 100-200Y.

We are murder on scopes because of the high round count, and in the end the C-more went with the gun when I sold it. Should have kept the gun, but I do not miss the C-More.

Greg,

So many aimpoints the water pump in the big red beast died. This will hurt the pocket. Set a record a few months ago. 5 guys and 36guns and a really big cases of ammo, to the range and still had room for targets and lunch.

Do that in a Prius. :goof:

What price an Aimpoint when you sink thousands of dollars just to go to BC.Every year I go it costs me the price of a new AP open gun. To stand on the line and have your scope die 'cos you saved $100 dollars after spending $US6500 to get there just does not add up.

I have accumulated four over the years and the Comp C I bought in 2004 had the battery change before the 2008 world shoot as a precaution. Spread over the life of a gun the cost is minimal.

Richard, You can't use Makers Mark 'cos you gave it to me and I've drunk it, Ta! :roflol:

Coatesy

Thanks for all the info, I will contact John about getting one of these, I know Ryan McQuilty has one of these and likes using it, I will have to have a look at it next time I see him. I am needing a scope that is reliable to prevent losing points from equipment problems, the worlds are also coming up so I need the scopoe to function at all costs, this may mean that I will have to spend the $$$$ and get a AIMPOINT.

So if I was looking at Aimpoint, which would be the best Aimpoint? Comp, M2, M3 or M4? Not really into the Micro. I've had Comp XD's and had switch problems. I've got an M2 now on a rifle with way too big of a dot, but it's been reliable and I know I can get another with a 2 MOA. I've also got an M4 on my work rifle with a 2MOA dot that is rugged as hell but a bit on the heavy side. Is weight really that much of an issue? I'm leaning towards another M4 because of the battery life and durability. Any negatives to it?

I think a lot of folks are using the CompC3. They offer them in a 2MOA dot only now (discontinued 4MOA in January 2010). You can still find the 4MOA dot scopes on line if you search. I'm thinking of trying a PF Scope for my next open gun.

Edited by speculatorking

What about the BURRIS SPEEDDOT 135 RED DOT SIGHT has any else used one of these and are they any good?? I know that is what Bruce uses.

i have a couple of them, and like them. the quality doesnt seem to be quite as good as Alans PF ive shot with. A bit more parallax with the Burris, and dot clarity isnt as good on one of them. Dont mean to sound like im ragging on them at all, they are good sights. For roughly half the money, you get a really good sight.