Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't more people shoot single stack?

Pro2AInPA

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro2,

We both shoot in the same area, and your right, not a lot of SS shooters at the clubs we shoot at. Even at IDPA matches in the area that I have attended, there really aren't a whole lot of 1911's being used in .45 cal.

I often consider shooting single stack, and often look at stages when a shoot to try and figure out how I would shoot them with a SS. stage management does seem to be "challenging", to say the least.

Pro2,

We both shoot in the same area, and your right, not a lot of SS shooters at the clubs we shoot at. Even at IDPA matches in the area that I have attended, there really aren't a whole lot of 1911's being used in .45 cal.

I often consider shooting single stack, and often look at stages when a shoot to try and figure out how I would shoot them with a SS. stage management does seem to be "challenging", to say the least.

What clubs do you shoot at? Shoot me a PM some time if you want to shoot SS at a match. That way we can at least have another person in our division. :)

I think it is mostly seen as a "nostalgia" division. Limited 10 was well established here before single stack. If I want to get the 1911 out for a spin, I would shoot limited 10 because I get more flexibility in equipment and the extra few rounds are nice as well.

Why? Evolution, Is why Single stack is what it is,

The 1911 is still the foundation, of many pistols,,,, But more competitive guns are available.

A .40 with 20+ in the magazine. Less recoil good knockdown power, and more fire power.

In the what if world more is better.

In the 3 Gun world, most matches have no limitations on pistols,,,,, more is better.

I will be shooting the He-man Division at the RM3G, and will shoot my old .45 with 10 round Mag’s

They have a division for it, if they did not specify that your pistol must be .45 with no more than 10 rounds, I would not use it, because of the handicap. I have a hard enough time trying to keep up with the fast kids, I don’t need 2 or 3 Magazine changes extra per stage.

The 1911 is still the foundation, of many pistols,,,, But more competitive guns are available.

A .40 with 20+ in the magazine. Less recoil good knockdown power, and more fire power.

That may all be true but that is why there is a class just for the 1911. ;)

So far all the reason have been "it is harder" and "I have to think more"......seems like in the end it would make you a better shooter. :)

That may all be true but that is why there is a class just for the 1911. ;)

So far all the reason have been "it is harder" and "I have to think more"......seems like in the end it would make you a better shooter. :)

I built my.45,, with my own hands at my Buddies,, Gun Smith Shop, in the 90's

Back in the day .45 was king, I put everything on the gun that was the right thing to do,,,

But times are changing. So does the equipment.

Everyone is a better shooter now too.

people like to shoot more than reload? i too have started in SS and really really like it. im sure ill move on to other divisions down the road, but Ill never stop shooting SS.

Yeah I guess people don't like finding the 8's. Oh well.

Given that half of your section is NJ, and given that l10 and especially production were already healthy, established, (and in the case of production often hotly contested in a given class) divisions, I didn't find it surprising that SS didn't catch on here. It is more popular at some clubs than others. CJ offered it from the start, was even willing to pay prize money before it was officially approved for that by the Section, and we've never had more than a handful, and somewhere between 1-3 shooters is the norm...

The first time I shot at your club, I was the ONLY single stack!

Why are there so few in SS? My thoughts are this: I have no reason to Shoot SS if I want to go to the Nats. I shoot an Area Match to win a slot, SS does not have slots. Why shoot SS at an Area Match? If I am not going to soot SS at and Area, why shoot it at a Section? If I don't have a good reason to shoot it at a Section and Area, why shoot it at a Club match?

Now as has been said, IF I plan to go to the SS Nats, I will shoot SS in the early part of the year to get ready, after that, not a lot of reason. Move the SS Nats to USPSA proper, maybe have three matches, Open/Limited, L-10/Production and SS/Revo. Hold one in the East, one in the middle and one in the West. Rotate them each year and hold them maybe 4 months apart and you just might get some serious SS numbers.

Why don't more people shoot SingleStack?

Because it's hard.

(shrug)

thats what she said?

best i can tell from reading responses and talking with other shooters in the past, people dont like the 8 rounds in a mag, theyd rather blast away with 20+. i personally think that starting with SS is gonna make me better down the road bc ill have the advantage of forcing myself to do more reloads and breakdown stages very well.

I shot my first match in Single Stack last week. LOVED IT! I was slower then dirt (different grip angle and sights than I use on my glocks), but had the most points of any shooter in any division on the night... I definitely plan on spending more time in this division. The break down is similar to production and limited 10. Shoot, reload when moving, repeat, wipe stupid grin off face when stage is over....

I don't know. More should! I'm loving shooting limited this year, ...

That's because you shot Single Stack prior to that... (just teasing :sight: )

That's actually absolutely true. I've shot more single stack than anything else since I started in this sport.

Pro2,

What clubs do you shoot at? Shoot me a PM some time if you want to shoot SS at a match. That way we can at least have another person in our division. :)

We shot in the same squad at the last Topton match. I shoot at Topton and sometimes at York. I also shoot some of the Pa. Steel League matches that are at other clubs like Guthsville, Ontelaunee, and New Holland. In the off season I shoot some of the indoor IDPA matches that are within driving distance. I won't make the three man three gun this weekend.

All I know is when I am walking through a stage with my production rig and I here a SS shooter say, "That won't work for me, I have to reload before there", I'm like, :surprise: .

Like somebody said, production is cheaper to shoot and gear up for if you are going to be limited in capacity.

Pro2,

We shot in the same squad at the last Topton match. I shoot at Topton and sometimes at York. I also shoot some of the Pa. Steel League matches that are at other clubs like Guthsville, Ontelaunee, and New Holland. In the off season I shoot some of the indoor IDPA matches that are within driving distance. I won't make the three man three gun this weekend.

Ahh ok, Matt I presume? Nice meeting you and shooting with you.

Want to shoot Single Stack at the July Topton match? :devil:

I don't have any theories as to why SS is not more popular, but I don't plan to quit anytime soon!

I shot Limited for a couple of months this spring and realized that when I have 20 rounds on tap my game changes completely. Going back to the STI was like coming home to an old friend. I don't care about the extra reloads in SS or being limited to 8+1. For me that's part of the challenge. Embrace it!

I have been enjoying SS his summer. Appreciate the comments about the difficulty in stage analysis as I thought it was just me. The recent Area 5 was stressing me out trying to plan the reloads and remember where the targets were all at. And then the game plan has to change in midstream when you miss a target or 2 and have to make up some shots. I got around this somewhat as I shot it in 9MMM and had 10 rounds. However I still had to think fast on the fly a couple of times which went well from my point of view. All in all I think the whole of it improves my overall skill package a bit quicker then it would if I was hosing with my Limited gun.

earl