Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Single Stack Nationals

Supershooter

anybody know when they will give out the slots for this one? im planning on attending either way, just would be nice to know if i have a slot coming my way at all or if i need to prep the application to get it in early?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recieved this e-mail from one of the local match directors today. I thought for sure winning my class last year would have earned me a slot. :(

SINGLE STACK NATIONALS SLOT DISTRIBUTION POLICY

In order to fulfill USPSA's obligation to its club and section affiliates, the USPSA board of directors adopts the following policies effective January 1, 2010 applying to the Single Stack National Championship beginning with the 2011 match and continuing until specifically revised by USPSA.

1 Slot Year - For purposes of the 2011 Single Stack Nationals, the slot year began on October 1, 2009 and will end on September 30, 2010. Each slot year thereafter will begin on the first day of October and will end on the last day of September.

2 Activity Deadline - Activity generated by matches occurring within the subject slot year and reported to USPSA by the close of business on the last day of October will be used to calculate the number of slots earned by each club or section. November 7th.

3 Slot Value - The value of each slot shall be calculated based on the number of available entries (match capacity) and the amount of activity reported by the clubs and sections during the subject slot year. The number of slots earned by each club and section will be calculated according to USPSA policy.

4 Returning Champions - USPSA will automatically distribute slots to "returning champions" from the Single Stack National Championship which occurred during the subject slot year. Returning Champions are defined as:

a. Top 16 overall

b. Top 8 ladies

c. Top Junior

d. Top Senior

e. Top Super Senior

5 President - Eight slots will be set aside for the USPSA President which he may distribute at his discretion.

6 Notification - The Single Stack Nationals Match Director will be provided a master list of the members receiving slots as per items four and five.

7 Actions - The USPSA office staff will create and distribute the slot forms according to this policy. Those forms will direct the recipient to return the form and payment to the Single Stack Nationals registrar at an address to be provided by the Match Director.

8 All slots not returned with payment by the close of business on January 31st are void. Remaining match capacity will be available first-come, first-serve and will be administered entirely by SS Match officials including any wait list.

9 With the cooperation of the Single Stack National Championship Match Director, USPSA commits to support the match through prominent display on the USPSA web site, Front Sight Magazine display advertising and a pre-match feature article, and director member promotion distributed via email and the US Postal Service.

10 Within 30 days of the conclusion of the Single Stack National Championship match the Match Director shall remit activity fees in the amount of $1.50 per competitor to USPSA at its address of record.

Regards,

Dave Thomas

USPSA Executive Director

Edited by sperman

What about CRO's and RO's that shoot SS.

From my understanding you won't be able to do both after this year? I hope this isn't the case. It's almost a tradition to put up or have the rebuild performed (open/lim etc)while dragging out the old SS once a year. It will be sad to see the staff that love SS change so dramatically.

Edited by shoot

Probably not PC - but why 8 slots for top woman finishers from last years? That seems to be out of proportion to the number of entrants?

Only nine women and two juniors shot the match last year!

Sometimes you gotta wonder what people are thinking when they make policies like this. Unbelievable.

Edited by Carmoney

Looks like at least in 2011 staff shoots the 12th then work the next two days up to 200 shooters. I just didn't figure they would do the slots this year and wondered how it might affect the staff shooting the match.

My understanding is it will be made almost impossible even with an earned spot to shoot/work the match after this year. Only one shooter even bothered to shoot the extremely limited RO match at the back to back Nationals.

I just feel the terrific people that shoot and work SS nationals is what shooting at it's best is all about.

It's also a great way to break things and game up the stages to find the issues early if you know what I mean.

Probably not PC - but why 8 slots for top woman finishers from last years? That seems to be out of proportion to the number of entrants?

It's set in the corporate bylaws I believe which were written back before there were separate divisions and separate nationals for those divisions.

It's set in the corporate bylaws I believe which were written back before there were separate divisions and separate nationals for those divisions.

If thats the case, this policy is incredibly demeaning, sexist or both. Either the USPSA is saying we don't believe that women shooters can compete on the same level as the upper percentile of the competitors or at the same level as juniors/seniors/super-seniors/LE and therefore we must recognize them disproportionately or they're saying that we want to reward women shooters above and beyond their competitors because they are female. If I'm a junior and I finish 20th OA at the SSNationals and place 3rd Junior and don't get a slot to the next years Nationals...but a female who finished 115th OA (and places 5th female) does....how am I supposed to feel about that? And as that 115th OA Female, I'm supposed to feel good because I'm being rewarded because of my gender?

This policy seems to be a slap in face to female shooters as well as all of the other catagory shooters.

Edited by SteveZ

Either the USPSA is saying ...

It could conceivably be saying "We want to recruit more female shooters, and we think one way to attract them is to offer more of them slots at high profile matches. We think this is worth setting aside 8 slots in a match that typically attracts 200-300 shooters. If this means that 3 or 4 male shooters don't get a slot and have to enter the lottery to shoot the match, we can live with that."

If that's the case, I'm OK with it.

As a general note, I'm wiling to withhold judgment on whether they "ruined a great match" until we get through this year's match. There's still a lot of time between now and May, and they haven't even announced just how many shooters they will register this year. I plan to submit my registration as soon as they accept them and keep my ear open for available slots. I'd bet a box of primers that just as in previous years, most of the people who want to shoot the SS Gnats et to shoot the SS Gnats.

Edited by bbbean

Nothing in the By Laws about number of female shooters in Nationals.

The SS Nationals did not sell out the past two years. Plenty of room for more female shooters.

Now that people know, farther in advance, that it's back to the one-day format, that may change. R,

Nothing in the By Laws about number of female shooters in Nationals.

I'm impressed if you went thru the bylaws. Apologies that I had that wrong. I got my answer from someone associated with headquarters whom I thought would have been correct. However, I have to throw in with the camp that favors juniors and ladies. Not because it makes it easier to attend but because it has the opportunity to broaden the sport and increase it's longevity. How many of you guys would like to get your ladies/kids involved in the sport? Just think about how much the toy budget would increase! Besides 8 slots for the ladies out of the potential 200 slots available is leaving a lot of room (like 96%) for others.

It could conceivably be saying "We want to recruit more female shooters, and we think one way to attract them is to offer more of them slots at high profile matches. We think this is worth setting aside 8 slots in a match that typically attracts 200-300 shooters. If this means that 3 or 4 male shooters don't get a slot and have to enter the lottery to shoot the match, we can live with that."

That's what it looks like to me. They want to increase female participation in what is largely a male sport. In doing so, they want to make sure that the ladies already participating have every opportunity to continue.

I have no problem with that.

That's what it looks like to me. They want to increase female participation in what is largely a male sport. In doing so, they want to make sure that the ladies already participating have every opportunity to continue.

The only problem with that is "female/lady" is a sub-category just like Junior, Senior, Super-Senior, Law Enforcement, etc. USPSA doesn't create special slots for Super-Seniors or any other sub-category or glorify the high super-senior as the "Super-senior National Champion", whereas they do for "high lady".

The only problem with that is "female/lady" is a sub-category just like Junior, Senior, Super-Senior, Law Enforcement, etc. USPSA doesn't create special slots for Super-Seniors or any other sub-category or glorify the high super-senior as the "Super-senior National Champion", whereas they do for "high lady".

Actually they did set aside special slots for most of those sub-categories:

"4 Returning Champions – USPSA will automatically distribute slots to “returning

champions” from the Single Stack National Championship which occurred

during the subject slot year. Returning Champions are defined as:

a. Top 16 overall

b. Top 8 ladies

c. Top Junior

d. Top Senior

e. Top Super Senior"

Personally, I think it's silly to give 8 slots for ladies, and only one for Juniors. I'd rather get more juniors, regardless of gender, in the match. R,

Ok, No ones talked about this aspect yet; What about the class winners?

The Pres gets 8 slots and me, for winning B class last year, gets to suck up to my SC for a slot.

Im pretty sure that every time I won my class at one of the LPR/L10-open nationals in recent years, Ive gotten a slot the next year.

In a match with one division, I cant see how that is not possible.

Ok, No ones talked about this aspect yet; What about the class winners?

The Pres gets 8 slots and me, for winning B class last year, gets to suck up to my SC for a slot.

Im pretty sure that every time I won my class at one of the LPR/L10-open nationals in recent years, Ive gotten a slot the next year.

In a match with one division, I cant see how that is not possible.

I did a little digging into this, because I won C. If you win your class at an area match (and there are enough competitors) then you get a slot. But if you win your class at nationals (where everyone is shooting SS) you don't get a slot. It doesn't make much sense to me. I checked the results from this year's area matches, and none of them had enough SS competitors to qualify for a slot.