Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 powder for 9 40 45 ?

Clays, N320, WST or WSF. I use WSF in all three with good results, both major and minor loads. N320 is clean, but more expensive and if you are trying to economize by going one powder, the cost nullifies N320. WST will have slightly lower charges weights than WSF for the same PF, but WSF will be safer for .40 Major loads if you need that and don't load long (like for S_Is). Clays and WST are pretty close, but WST meters better and has less "flip-out" of powder than Clays on progressives. Of the 3 squibs I saw at a large match, all were Clays. Not that the powder is bad, just that the light flakes tend to bounce out easier when the shell plates jerks and it bridges more than the other three.

If cost is no concern, N320, WST, Clays, WSF.

If Major it important, WSF, WST, N320, Clays.

No major, low cost, progressive, WST.

thanks guys. I was just looking for more convinence of only having to find 1 powder. locally all i can find for powder usually is tightgroup clays wst . they seem to be the easiest to find.

I load on dillon square deal b

the guns are

9mm is springfield 1911

40 is STI eagle

45 is custom 1911

thanks

Ben

Edited by motowrecker121

Look into Alliant Power Pistol. Pretty cheap, available usually (cause I'm the only one who shoots it! :P ), and it will work nicely for 9mm, 40 and 45. Their website has all the data. Last I bought was $48 for 4 lbs. In 40, about 5.6 will be a very good start for a 180 bullet, 9mm, I'm not really sure about as I don't load it, and I haven't loaded any 45 with it in a while, I'd have to get my load book out to see....

Power Pistol was designed for use in the 40 and 9mm, and will work in a 45, per their website.

I am wondering if anyone can recomend 1 powder that works well in 9mm 40 and 45. i shoot IDPA & USPSA.

thanks

Ben

Titegroup works great in all 3. Its cheap, is found every where and just works. Only problem is it heats up the gun but unless your doing 32 round bill drills its not that big of an issue.

Winchester 231, Hodgdon Titegroup and I've been playing with Accurate Solo 1000 and like it in the 9mm with heavy bullets. Haven't tried Solo 1000 in 40 or 45 but it's coming the next loading secession.

Winchester 231 is an old proven powder with lots of data out there, it's a little dirty but works well in the three calibers you asked about.

For a quick clean powder that is meant to produce low recoil, is lead friendly and good price. Solo 1000. Only issue is you really need a chrono to work your loads up. It varies lot to lot so any published data needs to be confirmed with a chrono.

I load 9mm, 357mag, 40sw, 10mm, 41mag, 44mag, 45acp, and 45Colt, been using Unique in all for 25+ years.

I've recently been trying out Universal Clays as a sub in search of something cleaner and think this just might be the answer but there's really not a huge difference.

Are either powders the ultimate for all, heck no, but nothing is. If your in search of the "ultimate" that will change with every variation of caliper, bullet, case, primer, OAL, etc.

Will either powder offer you 90% of the "ultimate" performance, heck yes. And with the added pluses of convenience and economy.

Sal

Edited by Sal1950

I use SOLO 1000 in 9, 40, and 45.

I have used it at Area 6 in my 9 minor load, Florida open 9 minor, RM300 40 major, SSC 45 major.

It is not super expensive and works well in all three calibers.

Randy

I found locally some vv 3n37 fairly cheap. Does any one have any experience with this powder. Is it any good for any of these.

9mm minor

40 minor

40 major

45 major

thanks

Ben

they also have

N165

N150

N540

Edited by motowrecker121

Ok here is the best deal I can think of.

9 mm with jacketed 125gr or 124gr MTG or Zero - 4.7gr of WST will get you 131 pf.

40 S&W with 185gr Precision Bullet 4.7gr will get you 171 pf.

45 with 200gr Precison Bullet 4.7gr of WST will get you to 169pf.

Now that is what I call loading just leave the Powder measure set and load three calibers. WST is clean and it is soft shooting in all 3. Yes there are others like N320 but then you will be making adjustments and spending a lot more money.

That seems almost too good to be true, one charge for all three.....I like it! Have you ever used that 9mm load on a moly 125gr by chance? I have had a hard time finding published data for WST in 9mm. I have been using 5.2gr WST in .45 behind a 200gr moly SWC, I will back it off a little and see what happens.

Great idea! I can't find Win231 anymore and am heartbroken but I went through my first keg of WST today and like it. It meters great, sips powder compared to other powders, is as clean as I have shot, and most importantly I can find it on the shelf in town at $22 a pound.

9 mm with jacketed 125gr or 124gr MTG or Zero - 4.7gr of WST will get you 131 pf.

Now that is what I call loading just leave the Powder measure set and load three calibers. WST is clean and it is soft shooting in all 3. Yes there are others like N320 but then you will be making adjustments and spending a lot more money.

That seems almost too good to be true, one charge for all three.....I like it! Have you ever used that 9mm load on a moly 125gr by chance? I have had a hard time finding published data for WST in 9mm. I have been using 5.2gr WST in .45 behind a 200gr moly SWC, I will back it off a little and see what happens.

Great idea! I can't find Win231 anymore and am heartbroken but I went through my first keg of WST today and like it. It meters great, sips powder compared to other powders, is as clean as I have shot, and most importantly I can find it on the shelf in town at $22 a pound.

I have shot 125gr precison moly and BayouBullets in 125gr at about 4.4-4.5gr but did not crono them as I was shooting them in steel and fun matches with no power factor, but they should be at about 1000+ fps. For steel you can drop down to 3.8gr and it does real well and runs the gun even in 40.

You have to find old load books to find WST data. It is very similar to 231 normally .2 less of WST which means its a tick faster.

I found locally some vv 3n37 fairly cheap. Does any one have any experience with this powder. Is it any good for any of these.

9mm minor

40 minor

40 major

45 major

thanks

Ben

they also have

N165

N150

N540

3N37 is a good powder for 9mm Major loads, but not what you want for 9 Minor. It's a bit slow for .40 Major and will have a bit more recoil/flip than the faster powders. I'm sure you could use it in .45, but I suspect it would be similar to .40 in having more recoil/flip than you want.

N165, 150 and 540 are all rifle powders.

G-man - It will work in your 38Super - 9.0gr with a 125 its not a bad load in the right gun. 9 major with 7.8gr @ 172pf. Everything else its just not that good. But side by side I prefer Silhouette.

im using titegroup for 45 now. when I move to other divsions and calibers...I'll probably still use titegroup. its fairly cheap, usually available and meters super smooth.

Is N320 really that much better of a powder or are people using it just because thats what everyone is using?

i loaded some 45 at 168pf with clays and it still felt like factory with quite a bit of kick. i guess i had to high of expectations of i just have terrable form. i see guys shooting single stack 45 and ther gun never moves. the only think i can think of is they are loading softer than major or i am just not using proper technique.

the 9mm with tightgroup was nice and soft i liked that load.

havent had a chance to try the 40 with tight group yet. i loaded some up just not a chance to shoot

thanks

Ben