Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Becoming an RO

Corey

I was just curious as to how hard it actually was to become an RO. I know there are classes, tests, stage designing involved. Is there anything else? What does the test consist of? I see a lot of people quoting rules a lot on here, which is great, but do you all actually have them all memorized word for word?

To all the ROs, especially those who have become one recently, how hard is it to get everything done?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy enough to take the course and become an RO. The trick is to become a GOOD RO. That takes practice and confidence.

You don't have to design courses for the basic RO course. That comes when you want to become a CRO. Which you have to be an RO for a year before you can take the CRO course.

As mentioned, the RO course is a weekend of classroom instruction on the rules and duties of an RO with some range time thrown in to actually practice and show that you paid attention to class. Of course there is a written test as well.

Also a big +1 to what Matt said. It makes you a better shooter. It makes you much more knowledgable of the rules. It is a great place to ask those nagging questions and see first hand how many different opinions you will get on the rules.

I would recommend reading the rulebook, cover to cover, multiple times leading up to the class. It makes for a more relaxed weekend.

Take the RO course, then more importantly RO every chance you get.

I agree that everyone should take the RO course. Look for one in your local area. The RO course is about learing the rule book and where and how to find the rules. I keep a rule book in my range bag and one by my computer. Stage design comes in the CRO course.

Its not hard at all as long as you don't mind siting through 8 hours of lecture. I just recived my RO certification in the mail today if I can do it any body can and should in my opinion. I don't think it is possible to memorize the entire rule book but by the end of the course you will be very familiar with the rule book and it is easier to sight the correct ruling. I belive the course actually made me a better shooter.

Hardest thing for me was waiting for a class to come near enough.

I just took the class & became an RO.

There is nothing special about the test. It just takes some time.

I can't remember what I got on this computer to look for, much less every rule word for word.

I carry the rule book in the range bag for those "senior moments".

I was just curious as to how hard it actually was to become an RO.

I got that curious bug a few weeks ago myself. Fortunately there is a class next month in NC, so my buddy and I are driving up to take it. I'm looking forward to learning a lot of good info, and like others have said, become a better shooter because of it.

I see a lot of people quoting rules a lot on here, which is great, but do you all actually have them all memorized word for word?

It's more a matter of understanding the concepts: What constitutes a safety violation and how to stop the shooter; how to score targets; how to apply procedurals; and knowing when something's off enough, that it's time to dig through the rulebook (for guidance/refresher) before making the call.....

It's an open book exam -- any one can pass it....

Becoming a good RO -- that takes dedication akin to becoming a good shooter....

Corey it will be good for you. The class room stuff is a little dry but then the field excercises put you into situations and give you a whole new perspective of what happens on a stage. The test is open book so you can pass it, you take it at home and mail it in. We don't memorize the book but we carry the book for those times when we need it. After a while you have almost everything committed to memory not the page number and paragraph but the meaning of the rulings.

Going to the class is much better than learning the rules by a self appointed shooter telling you this and that and maybe that was even true 20 years ago. Its best to know the real rules.

IF you RO major matches you will never have to buy brass again. Lots of other perks for RO's at majors like shooting free, free meals, shirts, special drawings, and some even pay hotel. So if you have low budget for big matches it can help you do a few. I kind of like shooting the whole match in one day at a nice easy pace with fellow RO's, then getting to see eveyone shoot your stage.

You can learn a lot watching 350 shooters run a course of fire. It would be tough to get squadded with Tomasie, Abbatte, Max Jr, Todd, Taran, Rob and Manny but they all have to shoot your stage at a major match, better pay attention they move fast.

Alamo shooter says even a cave man can do it. I did't know he was Certified, and I shoot with him all the time. Well I'm going to hand him the timer next time. roflol.gif

Edited by CocoBolo

I became an RO two years ago after taking the class at Sir Walter Gun Club in Creedmore NC.It was a very informative class. I actually enjoyed the class very much, and the practical that was completed on the second day.

The big thing is getting used to handling the practical aspects of "running" a shooter. You don't have to have all the rules memorized, but you have to know about them and where to find them in the rulebook.

Heckler, you shoot at Spartanburg Practical Shooting? If so, I'm sure I've seen you there.

I was wondering which CZ shooter you were. Check out my videos and you will remember me. www.youtube.com/wroberts

Thanks for the 411 on the class.

Bill

Easy enough to take the course and become an RO. The trick is to become a GOOD RO. That takes practice and confidence.

+100 here!!

Which you have to be an RO for a year before you can take the CRO course.

Starting either June 1 or July 1 you will also have to RO two matches at a Level II or higher. Personally I think this is a great thing, it gives you a chance to really get into it with both feet before you take the CRO test. This also weeds out those who go for their CRO just to get that title and not really carring about the sport.

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

Bill, that's too funny....yes, we know each other. Of the two CZ shooters at SPSA, we're both named Glenn....I'm the, uh, how should I say this....the physically bigger of the two of us. :rolleyes: We are both going up for the RO class.

From the SC State Match

Edited by CZinSC

Corey,

I took the RO class in Erie PA back in April. It was an excellent class and gave me a lot of insight into the sport. I agree with others, that everybody should take it. As stated previously, the final is 50 question (100 points) and open book. I read the entire rule book before I went to the class, just to get myself familiar with the structure of the rule book. I completed the exam the weekend after the class (you have 30 days after the class to complete the exam) and got my RO certificate this past weekend.

If you look at the NROI Schedule you will see that the closest classes are in Rockford, IL and at Miami Rifle & Pistol here in Cincinnati.

-Andy

You don't have to design courses for the basic RO course. That comes when you want to become a CRO. Which you have to be an RO for a year before you can take the CRO course.

As mentioned, the RO course is a weekend of classroom instruction on the rules and duties of an RO with some range time thrown in to actually practice and show that you paid attention to class. Of course there is a written test as well.

Also a big +1 to what Matt said. It makes you a better shooter. It makes you much more knowledgable of the rules. It is a great place to ask those nagging questions and see first hand how many different opinions you will get on the rules.

I would recommend reading the rulebook, cover to cover, multiple times leading up to the class. It makes for a more relaxed weekend.

Great post.

It's not hard to get certified. It makes you a smarter competitor. You don't have to ask what you can and can't do, because you already know and/or know how to find out.

It's also an asset to those running matches. Having experienced ROs readily available is a blessing for them. That alone can make or break a match.

Great post.

It's not hard to get certified. It makes you a smarter competitor. You don't have to ask what you can and can't do, because you already know and/or know how to find out.

It's also an asset to those running matches. Having experienced ROs readily available is a blessing for them. That alone can make or break a match.

As a MD I would love to have every single shooter RO certified! You will be a better shooter because you will know the rules better. WIth that said just because your RO certified doesn't mean I'm going to turn you loose with your own squad, we will let you take a squad with some seasoned shooters/ROs and you will learn the ropes if you want to or not lol. The past few years I think we have had one or two people take the class and actually RO squads. One guy is now a CRO and is my go to guy for rules I'm not 100% on, we look them up and we both learn from it.

I'll tell you on Monday! My class is this weekend.

Taking a refresher class this weekend to brush up on the ability to understand what the rules are trying to say instead of what I think they say.