Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Makes a 1050 Faster?

What makes a 1050 (supposedly) faster than a 650? On both presses, you pull the handle and you get a loaded round. How can the 1050 be faster? Shorter stroke?

I ask this because I'm tiring of some of the 650 quirks... sizing seems to take too much muscling; downstroking off the pistol expander ball often sticks; seating primers takes way too much effort.

I think it is the priming system. I think the 650 priming absolutly freaking SUCKS........

I always get high primers and I have to go over them again. The 650 needs a priming system like the 1050.

Smoothness

Adjustability

If you have a problem or wrong brass size the 1050 doesn't shoot the primer down a ski slope.

1050 1050 1050

Rob

Hi Erik,

Well fortunately I have been lucky with both (as I have both and they're running happy).

The big thing for me why the 1050 is faster, is that I don't have anything on the upstroke. Too, it's a smoother and frankly better built machine. I'm not totally happy about the plastic index cam thing on the 650 as I can see it either throwing the shellplate out of whack (technical term and symptom of an older 650 I had and sold). I'm glad Dillon has the roller handle for the 650. This was a big plus in the loading productivity in my opinion. I hate presses with the ball handles.

All things considered, the 650 is a great press. It's just that the 1050 is better. At each station, it performs perfectly and precisely. The only problem that I've ever had on the 1050 is the primer slide bar seperating from the little arm doo-dad that pulls and pushes it to index the primer disc. That's usually though a function of me having done something wrong.

Like I said though. I do have both. I do use both. And I do love both. :D

Rich

P.S. Next time you come out to Yolo or NCPS, if you want, on the way back, we can stop at the house and you can work the 1050 for a spell and evaluate it for yourself.

On the 650, it's like priming is this whole 'nother step. Gentle on the stroke until you feel it start to seat cleanly, then a ton of muscle to seat it flush. (Even then, I still get a lot of high WSR primers in Win .40S&W brass.) That's in addition to the huge hitch in the stroke trying to get the brass off the expander; I have to give the lever a solid, sharp whack, without letting it get away and crushing or igniting the primer.

So when they say the 1050 primes on the down-stroke, you have the resistance of sizing and the resistance of seating at the same time? (Maybe sizing a little bit before the seating?) How can you distinguish the two feels? As much as I hate the stiffness of it, I like to feel the primer seating in the 650.

It's pretty much impossible to feel the priming in the 1050. But the upside is the new primer will always be right where you want it, since seating depth is adjustable and very consistent.

The roller-cam action of the 1050 seems to give it more leverage too-- handle movement can be much less than on a 650. Also the dies moving and the cases only rotating on the shellplate may allow your fingers to track better and get into place more efficiently.

I haven't used a 650, but I have timed several 100 rd production runs on the 1050, its about 5-6 minute per 100. Having a 9mm telescoped inside a .40 will slow things down for a couple seconds, but I have my pre-programmed, TRB-like, clearance for that down to a science. With pre-filled primer tubes, 1,000 rds an hour is nothing special.

This is a good post. I bought a 1050 from a friend (I am picking it up this weekend). I have never used one. I have been loading on a 550 for 6 - 7 years. The 550 is a great machine and has loaded probably 75K rounds. But it was hard on my shoulder (the resizing and primer seating). I had shoulder surgery last year and that helped a bunch, but it still gets sore when I load. I can load about 400 rounds and then I have to rest and stretch the shoulder out. From what I am hearing, the 1050 is easier on the primer seating. Am I understanding correctly that the primer is seating is done on the regular stroke and you do not have to push up on the arm? So, priming must be done at a separate station? Cool.

My caliber conversion should be here tomorrow and my Casepro dies, too. I can't wait to get started with it. My friend has his 1050 set-up where he can swing the colator over and feed the cases from the colator directly into the Casepro. I can't wait! I need to cut my reloading time so I can practice more and still attend to my other duties. Take care.

JAck

oddjob,

That would mean I would need a larger shop! Hmmmmm. A new project..... :rolleyes:

I am definitely keeping the 550. I'm going to leave it set-up for large primers. I have so many toolheads set up for it I would hate to ge rid of it. It is so easy to change calibers on it.

Well, I am off to design a new shop......

Jack

Erik, I had the same problem with my 550. With some cases it was very hard on the upstroke of the handle. I completely cured this problem by adding a little car wax to my polishing media.

Nickel plated cases were the worst offenders.

Hey Flex! I found this stuff that really works great!!! Its called One Shot! :D

No, seriously, I have been using One Shot for my rifle cases for years. Never thought of puting it on pistol cases. Well, I was out in the shop cleaning magazines tonight and I looked over at my bench and saw the can of One Shot. I remembered your post and decided to try it. What a difference. Running the press was practically effortless. I never thought about reading the label on the can (you know the part that says it will not affect primers or powder). I never used to leave it on any of the cases I resized with it - I always tumbled my rifle brass after sizing. It is awesome on a 550.

Thanks for the tip.

Jack

One-Shot rocks!!!

I can't believe you weren't already using it. ;)

Something else that should save the shoulders is doing the heavy pushing of the handle (the top and bottom of the stroke) with a straight (nearly) arm...using you body weight to do the actual work.

You might have to change how you stand in relation to the press...height-wise. You want to be able to stiff arm it at the top and bottom of the stroke.

Last year in Phoenix I had the opportunity to play with a 1050 that had a self indexing and automatic bullet loader....that rock'd. All I had to do is crank the handle. One problem, the cost was outrageous. Has anyone heard or found someone making this addition for the 1050 commercially?

something that really increased the production rate of my S1050 was to replace the lockout gizmo on the charging bar, with a bell crank from an earlier powder measure that had the spring to return the bar..... now if I can just keep it from sticking a large primer in one of the proprietary .45 Glock cases with the small hole.....not used to culling them out yet.... regards