Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dogs at the range

Canuck223

When i first began shooting IPSC, my buddy used to bring his Aussie Shepherd to every outdoor match. Tucker was actually given his own Black Badge by IPSC Ontario. I can't recall anyone getting bent out of shape by Tucker being there.

This weekend, I'm hitting two matches in one day, and my kids are spending the day with granny while MrsC works.

With nobody home for the day, I'm tempted to bring Muttzilla with me. He's a 3 year old Lab/GSD mix. He's been to two small matches before, and loves getting out. He's well behaved. I can't imagine he's likely to be a buzzkill for anyone, but I'll pose the question here.

Does having a dog on the range bother you? (He gives the place a quick sniff then tends to hang out well back of the line.)

Great improvisation! Given how sensitive a dog's hearing is, I can't believe that our four legged friends wouldn't have the same hearing damage potential that we face. Most likely, it is more severe for them.

I was worried about the noise issue myself. His first match was an NRA Action pistol match, and he wanted to stand right beside me on the line for the first string. MrClean looked at me and asked what Muttzilla would do when the gun went off. I said we'd find out in a few seconds.

Muttzilla just stood thier, looked up and then walked over and sat under the picnic table where I'd placed his water dish.

Both the ranges I'm going to are 80+ meters deep, so he has room to roam outside of the heavy decibel zone.

Initially I'd go overboard to to avoid even the perception that he'd be a problem. You may know he won't wander down range but others, particularly the shooter, might be concerned - and distracted. Keep a close watch on him when you're not shooting and tie him up or have someone else actively in charge while you are shooting.

Does having a dog on the range bother you? (He gives the place a quick sniff then tends to hang out well back of the line.)

The only time I've ever seen it cause a problem is when one got loose and the match had to shutdown shooting to chase a dog around the stages.

There is a very nice Australian cattle dog that frequently comes to matches, and his person always has a bowl of water out for him. I usually have dog treats or granola bars in my bag since my dogs have taught me it is impolite to eat without offering some to any canines that happen to be watching.

100% depends on the dog.

My dog of 18 years (left range) was more than happy to sit in the shade under the tail gait of my pickup and spend the day watching the action. NO - I made damn sure he was not close to the noise. He loved the movement of people and the excitement in the air. I am very sure he could pickup on the different "scenes" in the air.

My dog could go just about anywhere and was the perfect guest. Seen but not heard.

Jokes aside, he was my EWS (Early Warning System) as I often noted to the cold callers from alarm companies.

If your dog has manners and no potential too effecting fellow competitors, then in my opinion bring away.

Now, I am just trying to figure out how to bring the cat to the range. It's de-clawed and it just cant' get that 40 brass up out of the grass and into the bag.

Best Regards

You might want to check with the range holding the match to see if they allow dogs

on the range. We do not allow dogs. Club members bring their dogs down to the

range early, before shooting time starts to scrounge for brass etc.. They

do not clean up after their dogs so we had to ban them outright.

Tom

Edited by Tom Mainus

As long as they are leashed I'm fine with it... I hate dogs coming up and licking me... they all seem to be attracted to me for some reason. :mellow:

I'd hope they weren't kept close to the shooting for hearing issues as mentioned.