Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anyone here doing the classic shaving thing using a brush, soap, and a straight or single blade safety razor?

If you are what is your experience with it?

Color me curious.

Edited by smokshwn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used a single-blade safety razor for years - personally, I prefer feather blades, my brother prefers merkurs. Vastly cheaper, and a much better shave, and better for your skin, IMO.

My brother occasionally uses a straight razor, I find them difficult to use, and too time consuming.

Soap and safety razors are the way to go - better shave, cheaper, and really doesn't take longer. I've tried straight razors, and frankly I'd rather shoot my stubble off with my .40, but that's probably lack of practice - cut myself 6-7 times.

There are lots of great shaving supplies online, for not a lot of money. Do yourself a couple favors: get a real badger brush, and shave immediately following a hot shower.

I actually enjoy shaving again. PM if you have any questions and I'll try to help.

You may want to see if there is an "Art of Shaving" store near you. They will shave you with either a straight razor or a safety razor as per your choice. I looked into it a while back but haven't had the chance to get into the city recently.

Adam

Might have to give it a try.

I had looked at the Feather blades but does anyone have suggestions on pre shaves/soaps/aftershaves etc? Looks like quite a huge gap in pricing on products. Where does the performance stop and name related gouging begin?

I've been using a safety razor from my great grandfather's attic for a couple of years now. I don't use any pre-shave oils just a badger brush and good soap. I like http://www.thebeersoapcompany.com. Their soap gives a good lather and doesn't leave a lot of soap scum on your brush. Feather blades are definitely the way to go. They are twice as sharp as anything out there. The Art of Shaving and Crabtree and Evellyn make good aftershave balms. The Art of Shaving is expensive but one bottle lasts me about a year and works very well. Crabtree and Evellyn is cheaper and also works well. Avoid anything with alcohol in it. Here's a good article on wet shaving: http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

I use Merkur classic razor and blades with Proraso cream. I just love how shiny & the heavy weight feeling of the safety razor. There's no tugging feeling.

Edited by edison

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain the difference between feather and merkur blades?

And what is the benefit to using a safety razor/straight razor vs the more common gilette/schick razors?

Feather's are absurdly sharp. Now that he's gotten used to them, my brother also uses feather. However, the first time you use one, you will probably cut yourself, but you most likely won't feel it...

As for the benefits, much cheaper cost per shave, much less skin irritation (once you learn how to use it), and almost no chance of ingrown hairs.

straight razors are kewl. i have 3 of them from my uncle's old days. got them sharpened, bought a razor strap and went at it. yes, time consuming, but once you get the knack for the angles, and avoid a mole here and there, they are tough to beat. +1 on right out of the shower.

craig, if you wanna try it, im sure you can find an old barber shop around yer area where they still do shaves. you'll walk outta there feeling like someone took a belt sander to yer jibs.

Honestly, shaving with a straight razor scares the hell out of me. There doesn't seem to be much room for error. If things go wrong it could get ugly.

I use one of the 4 blade razors in the shower. I have a really sensitive face (awwww) that gets irritated from shaving, so I ususally only do it about 2 times a week.

It seems the longer I wait to shave, the closer and less irritating it is.

Butch

I like to keep it clean shaven. I shave often for me which is every-other day. I use the Gillete Custom Plus Razor. It is smooth shaving, and I get no razor burn. I don't use anything but this stuff on my face. Really good, last a long time, and cheap. One bar last me 9-12 months.

http://MuellersShaveBar.com

You can keep your straight razors. I'll take the disposable lubri-strip and shave bar shave anytime over them.

Edited by JimmyZip

I just started with some stuff from that same store myself. I picked up a Dovo Shavette (cheap way to start, rather than spending $100+ on a proper straight razor), and this set which includes the brush, bowl and soap. Yeah, I nick myself every time, but I'm taking it slow and working on learning part of the face at a time. So far, I really like it. It feels great, will be cheaper in the long run, and requires some concentration and focus on what I'm doing right now, which I also really enjoy.

My suggestion is to go for it. I doubt you'll regret it.

I found a soap with glycerine is much much much better than just soap. Also the whole hot towel on the face helps too. Straight razor is wonderful if done right. bad if done wrong would be an understatement. Go find a real barber and have them use a straight razor on you. The first time some little old man is poised over you wielding a razor and has that murderous glint in his eye (at least you think he does) it's a trip.

I forgot to add this: after your first straight razor session make sure they splash pleanty of aftershave on. Just for kicks.

Edited by J-Ho

You may want to see if there is an "Art of Shaving" store near you. They will shave you with either a straight razor or a safety razor as per your choice. I looked into it a while back but haven't had the chance to get into the city recently.

Adam

I have used the Art of Shaving products for the last 3 years and have gotten exceptional results. They sell a kit that costs $100 that includes a brush, pre-shave oil, shaving soap, and after shave lotion. You supply the razor. I go with the Gillete Mach 4 with 4 blades. I shave in the shower with a fogless mirror I got from Amazon for $15. Its made by the Ace company (they are famous for plastic combs) and it works wonderfully well. The steam helps loosen up the beard and clean up is a no-brainer in the shower. You can buy the art of shaving stuff from Amazon too or Drugstore.com.

My barber has been doing straight razor shaves for 35 years. She (yes, she) would go down to the docks and shave homeless guy's faces when she was an apprentice in NYC. She says there's nothing like it and I might take here up on it the next time I'm in there.

Barbers rule.

I started shaving with a straight razor a few years ago. Sure it's a bit more time consuming than zipping along with a disposable. I have two decent razors that I alternate. Not cheap by any means, but like a quality firearm, if I don't do something stupid, they will last a lifetime.

I'm a lax shaver and often have a couple days growth which really makes it harder. It's MUCH easier to use them if you shave every day. Very simple that way. Prep is the key, but it's much less important if you shave daily. I use Col. Conch glycerin soap and a nice badger brush.

I recently came into possession of some of my great grandfathers razors. He was a barber for many years. I hope to clean a few of them up and hone them and put them back into use.

I also have one of my maternal grandfathers safety razors from the late 50's early 60s? I bought some Merkur blades for it.... jeeze, that thing sliced my face to pieces. Safe my butt. I'll take my straight razor any day.

I've been collecting straight razors since before I was a little shaver.

Only tried to use them once or twice...even have the strop hanging here in the man cave ready to sharpen them if I ever get brave again.

I couldn't get the hang of the "weak" side shaving.

But if anyone wants to try one I can set you up for a trial run...band-aids are up to you.

Straight razors are an example of manufacturing/art at its highest form...maybe I'll sharpen one up and try again.

FWIW - I can't find a barber shop to give me a shave at all. Even the oldest shop around say they just won't do it anymore...most of those guys are too shaky these days anyway.

I've been collecting straight razors since before I was a little shaver.

Only tried to use them once or twice...even have the strop hanging here in the man cave ready to sharpen them if I ever get brave again.

I couldn't get the hang of the "weak" side shaving.

But if anyone wants to try one I can set you up for a trial run...band-aids are up to you.

Straight razors are an example of manufacturing/art at its highest form...maybe I'll sharpen one up and try again.

FWIW - I can't find a barber shop to give me a shave at all. Even the oldest shop around say they just won't do it anymore...most of those guys are too shaky these days anyway.

Yeah, barbers are getting hard to find, much less ones that can or will give you a shave. I've been using a Merkur with Feather blades for a while now, and you just can't beat it, especially with the proper prep. Plus, you can't be sloppy about it--pay attention, do it right, and enjoy the results. Made shaving a pleasure for me again.

Troy

You guys have talked me into it. I'm going to try to buy a kit soon.

Man I hate shaving....I really hate those crazy expensive blades for a Mach (what ever number they are on now) razor. I might have to try this. What is a good economical safety razor? I would rather not spend 100 bucks for one and not like it. From what I'm hearing as long as I use good blades i should be ok right?