Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade tech DOH cant and production division.

Philo_Beddoe

Hello this is my first post. I recently joined the local USPSA club and have been shooting production division with a Blade tech DOH belt holster I purchased before I took up USPSA competition.

Before I got into competition I never really worried about how fast I drew as the holster was just for range use, so I blue locktite the adjustment screws for the holster straight down with no cant.

I have been thinking about playing with the adjustable cant on the holster, but dont want to try and break the lock tite if straigh drop is better then muzzle back or muzzle forward cant.

I am guessing it is because of the rules in the production division forcing one to wear the holster behind the hip bone. The screws are really hard to remove once you have loc tited them so I dont want to waste time if straight drop is the best method.

So what is best for blade tech DOH in production division? Straigh drop? Muzzle forward or Muzzle back?

Thanks for your time.

I played around with the muzzle canted forward for a little bit. I prefer straight up and down. I don't think I've ever seen a production shooter with the holster canted, just a few limited guys.

the only possible cant that would be beneficial would be muzzle rearward....i just dont like that idea, haha. I use a bladetech for my Singlestack gun and use it straight down.

and also, i dont believe the "DOH" part can be used for production (i know it cant for singlestack at least). i just took the DOH part off and turned it into the stingray holers and im good to go.

someone correct me if im wrong there...

Edited by Corey

the only possible cant that would be beneficial would be muzzle rearward....i just dont like that idea, haha. I use a bladetech for my Singlestack gun and use it straight down.

and also, i dont believe the "DOH" part can be used for production (i know it cant for singlestack at least). i just took the DOH part off and turned it into the stingray holers and im good to go.

Okay, your wrong.

DOH is okay for production. You are correct about SS.

Okay, your wrong.

DOH is okay for production. You are correct about SS.

thanks! wasnt 100% on the Prod side of things. :mellow:

Edited by Corey

Straight drop all the way. Muzzle rear can't is really only used to make guns more concealable, not make them easier to draw...it requires that you break your wrist angle, which isn't a good, or fast, thing to do. Muzzle forward can work, but not if the gun is anywhere near the center of your hip...the gun has to be away from your body and forward of the point of your hip for it to work (why you see folks with Limited, L-10 and Open with holster setups like this).

Once you develop a fast, reliable draw with a straight drop, you'll prefer it for pretty much everything. Even my normal work holsters are all vertical belt scabbards that are straight up and down. R,

If you do decide you want to change the cant just for giggles, break the locktite...if you do happen to mess up a screw, several of the forum vendors sell blade-tech stuff and should have an extra set of hardware available.

Hello: I used to use the Blade Tech DOH but found out I was just as quick with the Comp-Tac belt holster :cheers: You can try moving the holster around either forward or back within the rules. I use a straight drop as well for Production and Single Stack. Slight cant forward for Limited and Open. You will find that you will be trying many holsters till you find the one that works for you. I would suggest you try different stuff and you may not use all the same brand of stuff in the end. Thanks, Eric

If you do decide to move it, a little heat on the loctite should free things up and let the screws turn.

What do you mean by heat? Soldering iron?

And thanks for everyones replies, I will probably just leave it the way it is for now.

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

If you do decide to move it, a little heat on the loctite should free things up and let the screws turn.

Bic lighter for a few seconds. only had to loosen loctite a couple of time but it was on metal, not plastic. gotta be careful not to melt anything.

And thanks for everyones replies, I will probably just leave it the way it is for now.

I would start with a hair dryer. It shouldn't take too much heat to get blue loctite to let go.

Ok, am I really the only guy using a muzzle forward cant? I think if you try it you will see that your wrist breaks on a no cant holster more than on a muzzle forard cant. Try it and see what you think. I run my production and limited holsers that way.

Ok, am I really the only guy using a muzzle forward cant? I think if you try it you will see that your wrist breaks on a no cant holster more than on a muzzle forard cant. Try it and see what you think. I run my production and limited holsers that way.

No, you're not; I do, too. With the downward angle of my belt (viewed from the side, from back to front) puts my wrist in a better position than with the holster in straight-drop setup.

It is all about what works for you. Experimentation is part of evolving in the game. Break the screws loose, it's just blue loctite. Try it in the other positions (just ensure it's legal) and if one feels better for you, work with it for a while. See what you see.

I shot with Flying Change today who uses the DOH without a cant. We compared wrist breaks and hers is A LOT more than mine with the muzzle forward cant. LeRoy, I will move my holster back. :mellow: