Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

77's vs 69's

35WLN

Is there an advantage of the 77's over the 69's? The ranges I shoot are out to 400 and I currently shoot the 77's but a new lower I have is a 1 in 9 twist and I am not sure if the 77's will stabilize. What is your experience?

Thanks

In my 18 inch barrel, the greater velocity I get from the 69's outperforms (less windage) the slightly better bc on the 77's.... and the 69's shoot flatter also.

The 77's take over at about 600 yards if I recall correctly.

YMMV.

Good luck

+1 on the 70's having the bc advantage @ 500+ yards. Also, not mentioned is the additional kinetic energy carried by the heavier bullets at longer distances which assists with "ringing" different target types.

Cheers,

Kyle

Is there an advantage of the 77's over the 69's? The ranges I shoot are out to 400 and I currently shoot the 77's but a new lower I have is a 1 in 9 twist and I am not sure if the 77's will stabilize. What is your experience?

Thanks

Try some Hornady 75 BTHP's in the 9 inch twist barrel. They work great in mine.

So what I am reading is there isn't much difference between the two at up to 400 yards. I ran the calcs on the energy and they are pretty close with 77's at 2700 and 69's at 2850 within 50. The 69's should shoot flatter but not by much. So I guess it comes down to what the barrel likes is the consensus. Thanks

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting Adam's old thread to see if there is any new thinking on this in the last 2 years. I have a prize cert from Sierra, so trying to figure out which to buy 500 of for a 18" 1in8 twist barrel on a DPMS 3G1.

~Mitch

i have a 1 in 8 Sabre and has shot a boat load through a 1 in 8 JP. I standardized on 69 gr SMK running between 2850 and 2900 fps using VV 133 powder and LC brass. The Sabre is 1/2 MOA and the JP is 1/3 MOA in a no wind concrete 100yd tube.

I run this load through a Valada 1.5-8x scope. I am pretty close on the reticle. I sent the scope back for some minor issues but when it returns I will be developing the actual drops.

I am pretty happy with the SMK 69s. I live in the southwest, not known for no wind especially with the afternoon thermals in summer time.

Mitch,

When I buy in bulk, I prefer the Sierra 69 SMK. It is the only bullet I have been able to get MOA or better results with across of a huge variety of barrels. Every barrel I own prefers a different load, but I can always rely on the Sierra 69 SMK to get decent performance.

Kalani

Mitch,

When I buy in bulk, I prefer the Sierra 69 SMK. It is the only bullet I have been able to get MOA or better results with across of a huge variety of barrels. Every barrel I own prefers a different load, but I can always rely on the Sierra 69 SMK to get decent performance.

Kalani

Same here. The 69gr SMKs seem to be the most consistent in my various barrels.

Those powder recommendations are spot on. Pat has spent alot of time with load development and has good data to back it up. The price difference is something to think about between 69s and 77s. For me 69s will do everything I want to do and at a better price. Both stay supersonic at the ranges you'll shoot them at. Both buck wind and deliver good energy downrange. 69s are a little flatter while a 77 will make a flasher target work a little better. Plus that TOTALLY depends on what YOUR barrel likes. Saying one is better than the other is too broad of a statement.

Edited by 9X23Guy

I am running an 18" White Oak 1:7 barrel. So far after extensive testing with both 69 and 77 SMKs, the 69s shoot tighter groups and are more consistent across the board. 300 yards is the max I can shoot at my range.

I am running 22 grains of H335 as my current match load. I am seeing 2580 FPS average velocity with the 69 SMK. I intend to kick this up some more on my next batch as my best load has been 25 grains of RL15 @ 2824 FPS avarage. However, I do not get consistent powder drops on my 550 with RL15.

Edited by Kyreb

I won't try and compare this with people that have been shooting .223 for quite some time, I'll just put this out there and you can take it for what it's worth. I took my DPMS 18" 5.56 rifle (1:8 twist) to a long range course and was doing fairly well shooting out to 600yds with 69gr SMK's over AA2230 at about 2900fps. Pretty consistent load and the gun shoots better than I do, so I never reached the limit of what it could do.

I know that faster twists and 77gr and up bullets are technically better. But until you reach the point where your load is the limiting factor, I think you will find that 69gr bullets do a pretty darn good job.

YMMV.

When you guys are loading ammo that is for accuracy, are you also loading it on your Dillon 650's or single stage loading (or at least measuring each charge?). My 55gr MG loads with 24.0gr of H335 at 2.260" COL are terrible (3" groups). I don't know if it's my load or my process or my gun or my shooting. For comparison, same gun at the same sitting shoots 52gr BlackHills Match in the blue box at about 2", and with my bolt gun (Kimber 8400 in 308) with my single staged reloads I'm easily around .5". I would hope that with my own 55gr reloads I'd be as good as Black Hills ammo...

~Mitch

When you guys are loading ammo that is for accuracy, are you also loading it on your Dillon 650's or single stage loading (or at least measuring each charge?). My 55gr MG loads with 24.0gr of H335 at 2.260" COL are terrible (3" groups). I don't know if it's my load or my process or my gun or my shooting. For comparison, same gun at the same sitting shoots 52gr BlackHills Match in the blue box at about 2", and with my bolt gun (Kimber 8400 in 308) with my single staged reloads I'm easily around .5". I would hope that with my own 55gr reloads I'd be as good as Black Hills ammo...

~Mitch

My dillon. My Dillon has got me groups like this with my precision rifle.

greatgroup.jpg

Good enough for me as well.

Pat

For those of use who don't reload...anyone have any comparison between various factory 69s vs 75/77s?

I'm looking hard at the Prvi Partizan 69 and 75 grain match loads, if I can ever actually find some available.

In response to the OP, never got the 77s to shoot tighter than the 69s in any of my rifles. Am told the 77s buck wind better but have been able to shoot 69s out to 700 yards. A buddy got hits on a Larue out to 900 with his 69SMK load.

As for the non-reloaders, try BVAC's 69BTHP Match load or Black Hills. Tried Prvi but it was disappointing- >MOA.