Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal single stack mags

Dave C

I have one of the first 40 caliber STI Trojans the STI produced and an early (pre-series II) 40 caliber Kimber, both single stacks.

The Trojan went to Tripp for a feed ramp reconfiguration 3 or 4 years ago and I fit a Kart barrel to the Kimber. Both guns are very accurate. I have fought magazines and slide stops with both guns over the years. The biggest problems I have encountered center around the slide locking back with rounds left in the magazine and/or the slide not locking back when the magazine is empty.

I have used MecGar 40 caliber, Metalform 40 caliber and 10mm, Chip McCormick 10mm, early production Tripp 10/40s and second generation Tripp 10/40 (I even replaced the followers with the latest Tripp split follower design). Maybe I am asking to much, but I want 45 ACP reliability with my 40 single stacks. I am hesitant to invest in 10 new Tripp Cobra mags and have the same issue.

What have you guys found that works the best for you?

Thanks

Dave

I don't have a SS in .40S&W-yet- but when I shoot my friends STI

I use my CM power mags in .45ACP. They all hold nine rounds but

work very well, never any problems.

Watch your post- won't be long before those SS .40 guys all start

kicking in! Don't give up there is a fix. :cheers:

I use 10mm Tripp Cobra magazines in my Bowling Pin gun and I haven't experienced any such troubles in my pistol although I have to disclose that I am not running as STI Trojan but instead a Springfield Armory .40 S&W. I settled on an OAL of 1.170".

I bought McCormick 10mm, Tripp System and Wilson 47NX mags to test in my Trojan (stock slide release that I dimpled). I haven't experienced the premature lockback with any of them. Overall, I prefer the Wilsons and I bought half a dozen or so. The McCormick worked well, but I had to make an extension for the basepad to get it as long as I wanted. The other negative is that they're a pain to take apart compared with the Wilson and Tripp mags. The Tripp System mag worked fine, but it won't drop free if it has more than about 6 rounds in it....feed lips spread out. Any mag I use for SS has to drop free regardless of how many rounds are in it...never know when you're going to run the gun dry and have the room to load twice before the next array so you can avoid slide lock reloads for the rest of the stage. I also tried various .45 mags (Wilson, McCormick, etc) and didn't think they work any better than the 10mm mags, so I decided to stick with the 47NX. R,

Dave,

I have two (one mine, one my son's) Springfield loaded 40's. After some light touch-ups both are super reliable with our 1.180" OAL ammo. For mags all we use is Wilson. I have 3 47NX's and 5 47D's and my kid uses 47D's exclusively. Both slide stops are 45.

Tripp makes super magazines and some folks use the CMC Power Mags with their 40s.

DISCLAIMER: These are my $0.02 and, as with anything, YMMV.

Good luck,

B)

:surprise:

When I was shooting the SS 40 S&W , I had caspians and used the TRipp mags and

Chip Mc Cormick , I ran the oal at 1.185-1.200. Tripps are good as far as taking them

apart also but I preferred the Chip Mc Cormick because of the follower, its easier to control

for differant bullet types. I still shoot the 40 S&W Caspians only in the wide body.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::lol:

I have always loaded my 40 SS to 1.2" OAL. The only mags I have found to be 100% reliable are the Wilson 47NX 10mm magazines. With 45 SS magazines I have been able to get to 97-98% reliability which was no where near good enough to trust in a major match. The last time I looked at prices for the Wilson 47NX mags Brian's store had the berst price as well. :mellow:

If you have a very early Trojan you will need to talk with Virgil. I had the first one they sold and had to have STI specific mags in .40. You can also correct this by replacing the mag catch with a EGW mag catch that actually holds the mag higher in the frame for positive feeding. You can pm Shooter_Rob for more details... as he had to do this for his Trojan.

Edited by pvhendrix

I use Tripp Research System mags with their .45 hybrid followers that Aaron mods for me, and he will you as well, to work with the .10mm magazine. The only time I've had them not drop free was with the flex follower, got over the slide stop, and when I put in a new mag catch and didn't fit it!

If I'm running factory-length ammo, I'll use Megcar mags, with the metal followers. If I'm running long ammo, like I use in my limited guns, I can use Chip McCormick, 10mm mags, Tripp Cobramags(without the spacers), or, my Wilson, ETM, .45 mags.

I currently have an old, Kimber, and a Trojan that I bought last year, or, the year before. I also used to own a stainless Springfield, and they all ran with any of these.

Wilson 47 NX working well at this time in my newer .40 Trojan.

Inspection of feed lips showed some tuning needed and same was effected by me.

This only on a couple of the mags, I spread them gently a little wider at the rear. I also checked and "tuned" the mags by deburring and polishing as applicable to facilitate feeding and easy insertion.

No problems with drop free or loading 8. Loading a "barney" with 9 results not so positive, so I use a barney mag for this.

They were what I would call a little tight at first, but have loosened up to my satisfaction so far.

I'm running my LTD load at 1.210 with no problems. So now I have the same load for LTD and SS.

Slide stop was not locking back at first, but inspection of slide stop revealed some imperfections, now remedied, and the slide will lock back properly on the last round.

Brownells also has the 47 NX but you may have to backorder . . .

2 matches with this new pistol, so far so good . . .

Still getting used to the .40.

I've run several magazine types in my 40 SS's...My earlier trojans that had the Tripp modifications worked well with the tripp mags...Though i had to modify (remove metal) where the slide stop hit to get them to run reliably and not lock back with one round left. getting 10 mags to work properly took several runs to the range. bullet profiles also made a difference, some Truncated cone designs would interfere with the function as well.

The latest Tripp mags with the all metal feed lips in 10mm have worked the best for me. they will not run 9 in the gun but 8 is fantastic.

im still stuck on what to get for my 40sw SS

a lot of friends recommend the Wilson 47NX

but a lot also said to try out the Tripp System Mags

to get a reliable 9 round mag...im confused and just

want to order the correct mags for this gun

• 2 weeks later...

I read and read on this topic before my final decision to buy a Trojan. I finally wanted it so bad I gambled and I went with one through Dawson incase there were big issues, took delivery in Dec.

I can run factory STI mags (with the Chip McCormack base Dawson sells) with factory length ammo, totally relable, but if you are looking for 9 rounds, these only hold 8.

The two Tripp .40 mags with factory length ammo would not reliably feed from a slide lock reload...in fact rarely, otherwise good.

I can also run the Wilson 10mm mags (47 NX) with ammo loaded long (1.180 OAL), that I get from Atlanta Arms and Ammo. I ran this round in my Edge and loved it. In my Trojan with the Wilson mags it has also been 100%. This is the combo I've decided to go with.

By the way, I tried two S&W mags I picked up through MidwayUSA and they were not reliable at all in my gun.

I bought two of each of the above makes and tried them before buying enough to shoot a match to keep from adding to my holster drawer! I'd recommend asking around to borrow and test some or buying some "tester mags" before investing in mass numbers.

FWIW, Last match two SS .40 guys were running Tripp 10mm mags, loaded long and loved them.

Good Luck!

Edited by CDRODA396

I just took delivery of my Trojan in 40. I plan to use Wilson 500, based on the recommendation of a shooter that runs them in his 40 SS. I also have some Wilson DE's that I am going to try. I will report more after the first range session and matches this weekend.

Matt

As promised for anyone that might care... Sunday I shot 2 local matches.

STI Trojan .40 with STI magwell

180 CMJ Montana Gold

OAL 1.18

The first was our monthly match about 150 rounds or so. I used Tripp 10mm and Wilson 500. No feed problems from either. I think the Tripp mags held after release a couple times but nothing big.

Second match was the weekly indoor match. about 75 rounds total through Wilson 47DE and Wilson 500. No problems at all.

I really didnt have seating problems at all.

Since I have the Wilsons (Tripp were borrowed), I am going to continue to use those, but I would not hesitate to buy Tripps.

I have a total of 18 of Tripp's 2nd Gen .40 mags... without issue they run. I also have 10 each of the 1st Gen .40/10mm mags the 10 round and the GM length. I've had good service out of them also. I am in the process of replacing the springs as I've had them since Virgil first began selling the Cobra mags. I have 10 in 9mm that I use when shooting steel and they have never failed me. I had 10 of the 1st Gen 10 rounders for STI specific SS frame and the guy that I sold the gun and mags to still runs that .40 Trojan hard.

I ordered the replacement spring and 2 of his 10 mm GM "system" mags for testing today.

I have been extremely happy and will in the future buy some for my .45's.

Virgil's service is second to none.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new Fusion 40 cal SS that came with what appears to be Mecgar magazines. I had problems running factory ammo thru 2 of the 3 magazines. I had a good friend of mine recommend me trying the Tripp Cobra magazines. I ordered the 10mm set up with the hybrid polymer/metal followers. I have had some issues with the mag/pistol/ammo combination. I believe it to be more ammo related than anything else however. All of the malfunctions I have had were from a slide lock reload. I only load 8 rounds in each magazine although I could start with 9 in the first one.

The issues were with bullet set back. The bullet would hit the bottom of the feed ramp and stop. I'd have to lock the slide to the rear, push down on the base of the case (while still in the magazine) which then pushed the nose of the bullet up, let the slide go and had no issues after that, or until the next slide lock reload. It wouldn't do this if a tactical type reload was performed. The OAL at the time was 1.170". I later tried loads up to 1.185", but with similar results (however fewer of them). No matter how hard I would crimp the bullet, it would still happen.

I ended up buying the EGW undersized die for resizing and I am in the process of playing with OAL right now (currently going to try 1.190"). I will be leaving shortly for the range and will post a reply on how things went.