Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal single stack mags

Dave C

I have a new Fusion 40 cal SS that came with what appears to be Mecgar magazines. I had problems running factory ammo thru 2 of the 3 magazines. I had a good friend of mine recommend me trying the Tripp Cobra magazines. I ordered the 10mm set up with the hybrid polymer/metal followers. I have had some issues with the mag/pistol/ammo combination. I believe it to be more ammo related than anything else however. All of the malfunctions I have had were from a slide lock reload. I only load 8 rounds in each magazine although I could start with 9 in the first one.

The issues were with bullet set back. The bullet would hit the bottom of the feed ramp and stop. I'd have to lock the slide to the rear, push down on the base of the case (while still in the magazine) which then pushed the nose of the bullet up, let the slide go and had no issues after that, or until the next slide lock reload. It wouldn't do this if a tactical type reload was performed. The OAL at the time was 1.170". I later tried loads up to 1.185", but with similar results (however fewer of them). No matter how hard I would crimp the bullet, it would still happen.

I ended up buying the EGW undersized die for resizing and I am in the process of playing with OAL right now (currently going to try 1.190"). I will be leaving shortly for the range and will post a reply on how things went.

Zerwas- I run Tripp 10mm length mags & will sometimes have problems if I run "short" factory length ammo in my 40SS. In my opnion the 10mm mags are best suited for loading long, I have no problems when doing that.

Just came back from the range....

No problems encountered with the pistol/load/magazine today. The new load set up appears to be perfect for this pistol. I have a PF of 170.1 and the accuracy is pretty darn good (1.5" at 25yds). Best of all with this longer 1.90" load the rounds fed like melted butter. No KERCHUNKS at all during feeding.

All is good in the universe once again.

Just came back from the range....

No problems encountered with the pistol/load/magazine today. The new load set up appears to be perfect for this pistol. I have a PF of 170.1 and the accuracy is pretty darn good (1.5" at 25yds). Best of all with this longer 1.90" load the rounds fed like melted butter. No KERCHUNKS at all during feeding.

All is good in the universe once again.

Good to hear...hopefully this :ph34r: year i do get my 40sw Singlestack and have the same results :cheers:

My gunsmith built me a .40 SS with a Kart bushing (non-ramped) barrel. After a year of experimenting and reading the great info on this forum, I finally found the combo that works best for me: Wilson 47NX mags with my rounds loaded out to 1.250. I also had to have my chamber reamed to accomodate the longer round. Knock on wood, my gun runs perfectly with the 47NX mags and ammo combo.

• 4 months later...

I have to resurrect this thread for a short time to ask this....the Wilson mags, both .40 and 10mm, are listed as "standard basepad" for use without a magwell...is there a different mag for magwells or is that a misprint? I am in the same position of figuring out what mags to go with.

• 3 years later...

The Tripps work just fine and the base pad does not extend too far. Here's why I recommend them. I recently got a STI USPSA single stack 40. I couldn't get it to run to I bought some Tripp 40 magazines since I thought I had a magazine problem, anyway I needed additional magazines to shoot single stack.

The gun still wouldn't run so I called Virgil Tripp. I wanted to run factory length ammo since it works in my STI Edge, and Virgil told me that he could either fix the gun for me or he would tell me the "formula" to relay to my gunsmith. Well my gun now runs on factory length ammo and it is totally reliable.

This is some incredible customer service.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the larger basepad still keep the mag length short enough so that the gun fits in a USPSA box? I've got 10 Wilson mags on order with my SVI. I figure I'll stick with the standard length basepads for awhile, but I am curious about getting the longer ones from Wilson at some point.

I have a few of the Wilson mags and they do not stick out past the mag well. What base pads are recommended that will stick out past the mag well?

Get the Wilson DE base pads. I trim the front down a little bit to make them fit the box easier, but they should fit the way them come from Wilson. I also dimple them with a soldering iron for a little extra traction.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Springer 1911 in .40s&w I just started to run. I have Wilson .40 mags, Tripp .40 mags, and Metalform .40 mags.

I had 2 problems: 1) some failure to feed with some mag's, 2) slide would not lock back on empty mag with some mags

The problems were not mag specific, but occurred intermittently with all mags.

For the heck of it, I installed a Wilson .45acp slide stop I had....Lo and behold the problems went away! Now all mags drop fine, and the slide locks back when empty.

I can also run Chip McCormick or Wilson .45acp mags with .40 ammo and they run fine!