Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 DQ (first time)

spanky

Don't know if this is irony, karma or poetic justice.

I DQ'd for a 180 violation. The stage (Which I drew) was this one - link.

I engaged T1-T3, started to the right and reloaded.

I learned several things. If I must go from left to right, I should reload then move (or at least do so more cautiously). I also learned that I probably should have stuck with my original drawing that had the table behind the fault line and the shooter behind the table. This would have made things more neutral.

Also, ironically, I was elected VP of the local club today. :roflol:

Video of the "run." -

I'll take a few lessons learned any day of the week. B)

Edit: Here is the video of the 3 1/4 stages I shot. :roflol:

Edited by spankaveli

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this is irony, karma or poetic justice.

I DQ'd for a 180 violation. The stage (Which I drew) was this one - link.

I engaged T1-T3, started to the right and reloaded.

I learned several things. If I must go from left to right, I should reload then move (or at least do so more cautiously). I also learned that I probably should have stuck with my original drawing that had the table behind the fault line and the shooter behind the table. This would have made things more neutral.

Also, ironically, I was elected VP of the local club today. :roflol:

Video of the "run." -

I'll take a few lessons learned any day of the week. B)

Tough one, but you've got to appreciate the irony! I really like your attitude. I hope I can be as level about it should/when it happens to me.

I am a lefty myself. I have been DQ'ed for the exact same thing. Mine was at the

SS Classic though. Starting from the left and moving right, while trying to do

a reload, is tough for a lefty to do. It is real easy to forget where the

muzzle is pointing. My DQ was years ago, but I remember it like it was

yesterday. I can almost guarentee that you will never do that again. It will

stick in your mind every time you look over a stage and realize that you might

have to move to the right. Whenever possible, I always start on the right and

work my way left. Learn from it and move on.

Tom

didn't see a 180. take one step straight back with your left leg first, then move to where you are going-this gives you room and time to reload-after a while it will become second nature and you won't need the step back. also, program your reload in the walk thru and cant your hand to exactly the angle and direction you want it to be in the walk through.

I see it being pretty certain, personally.

(I'm also a lefty)

Try this, righthanded guys: Pause the video when MUZZLE! is yelled. See how he's turned about halfway between square uprange and facing straight down the 180? He's at a 45 degree angle, roughly, from facing square downrange.

Face off to the left, just like he's facing to the right. Hold your righthanded airgun up gun with the muzzle up and off to the left, frozen where you insert the magazine.

See a problem? Your muzzle is right at, or slightly past, the 180. And he's still turning, too. ;)

Sorry bud. I usually use a combination of breaking my wrist slightly (think spiderman flicking a web) to keep the gun down range, and twisting my torso to keep my shoulders off the 180-line, if that helps.

I also really like to run to the right first, and running to the left. Like you said, that forces you to trip or really be a 'tard in order to DQ on the load.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

That stinks. I couldn't see the position when the safety officer called muzzle, however I did catch this angle which is a big no no and would have called it right here. That angle is setting up for a big disaster.

muzzle.jpg

Hopefully, it won't happen again and you can finish your next match with a great score smile.gif

Edited by sifu128

As a lefty I am sure you have noted (as all us lefties do) that almost all stages are set up to ideally be run from left to right. A consequence is easy reloads for righties and opportunity for a trip to Dairy Queen on reloads for lefties. Not complaining, just the way it is. I spend more than a little amount of time practicing so that I normally get my reload finished by my first step out of my shooting position. Actually makes for a faster run anyways but really cuts down on the disaster factor. Left to right is tougher for lefties reloading, going into ports and shooting on the move so all require extra time practicing.

Sounds like you got the lesson from this one. Soldier on!

Edited by Neomet

I'm sorry to hear that Spank. There's also the technique, where you drop the mag, reach for the fresh mag, haul ass to the next position, and as you are bringing your gun up, perform the reload there.

I take extra time practicing reloading to my left. I bet you'll beat that into your practice regime. Congrats on making the VP! :cheers:

That stinks. I couldn't see the position when the safety officer called muzzle, however I did catch this angle which is a big no no and would have called it right here. That angle is setting up for a big disaster.

muzzle.jpg

Hopefully, it won't happen again and you can finish your next match with a great score smile.gif

What's the no no?

As a safety officer the no no for me is the angle of the gun right here as captured in the picture. With that being said, let me say I would not have DQ'ed the shooter for that, I would have made a muzzle call. It is really hard to tell what happens after this because the shooters back is towards us and only the safety officer could see what was happening.

I have seen shooters (new and old) launch one where they shouldn't have. To me that angle doesn't constitute down range. If you look at the angle the muzzle is almost pointed straight up. If this has been a new shooter trying to perform a tactical reload (in IDPA), or had one in the chamber in USPSA and didn't remove his finger from the trigger and had an accidental discharge that bullet would go over any berm.

I can tell you from personal experience that you don't want the muzzle pointed in that direction. Lucky for me when I had my accidental discharge I had already changed the way I did my reloads. It is one HELL of an eye opening experience.

Edited by sifu128

muzzle.jpg

What's the no no?

I don't see the no no there either. Sometimes angles are tricky to determine in a video like this. If he broke the 180 he did it while we couldn't see it in the video based of what I can see... probably while inserting the fresh mag.

muzzle.jpg

What's the no no?

I don't see the no no there either. Sometimes angles are tricky to determine in a video like this. If he broke the 180 he did it while we couldn't see it in the video based of what I can see... probably while inserting the fresh mag.

I would not have DQ'ed the shooter for that, I would have made a muzzle call. It is really hard to tell what happens after this because the shooters back is towards us and only the safety officer could see what was happening.

Based on that pic... and not seeing the angles well. I wouldn't have yelled muzzle either. It looks to me like the muzzle was forward of 180 while pointing upwards. There is no call on having the muzzle pointing upwards during a reload- that was made very clear during the RO class, unless they break the 180.

Based on that pic... and not seeing the angles well. I wouldn't have yelled muzzle either. It looks to me like the muzzle was forward of 180 while pointing upwards. There is no call on having the muzzle pointing upwards during a reload- that was made very clear during the RO class, unless they break the 180.

Is that an USPSA rule thing? I know in IDPA most SO's will call you on that.

I'm not second guessing the ROs at all so I hpoe my post doesn't construe that intent. I think the infraction incurred after you could not see my gun any more. I could be wrong, however. Hell, even if it didn't happen I learned several valuable lessons so I'm okay with that.

Is that an USPSA rule thing? I know in IDPA most SO's will call you on that.

There is no rule in USPSA against pointing the muzzle straight up, as long as you don't break the 180. I'm not sure about IDPA rules.