Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO'ing major matches

CrashDodson

I do it to help my club and my region put on matches. there is always a shortage of certified RO's. As others have pointed out, without the RO volunteers we can't hold matches.

I have realised that I don't enjoy it quite as much as I thought. Personally the responsibility can be a bit wearing. I hate the fact that should a shooter I know commit a DQ'able offence I have to be the one to inform him that he's DQ'd. That's tough to do with friends, people you regularly shoot with. but in order to be a fair RO you have to treat everyone equally and apply the rules as written. That is not always a happy task. 

I do feel good about putting back in to a sport I love though.

RO'd level II...if you consider that a major match...

why:  because the MD asked me.  (the free match was  nice bonus)

Did i enjoy it:  Yes.  It was a great learning experience.  

Would i do it again:  Maybe.  It was a bit stressful watching a couple hundred shooters for hours with little to no break.  And not getting to shoot the match with buds was a downer.  

Edited by uewpew
grammar

If you are looking for an equitable trade in working a match verses being a consumer at the match its never going to be a fair trade. Donating your time, effort, and skill to RO a major match comes down to a labor of love. There are a few perks here or there but don't expect it to be an "Even" trade and it can't be unless the match fees are doubled or tripled.

That being said, this sport can't happen without the dedicated volunteer efforts from many to make it happen. When you help run a match take pride in your efforts as it is much appreciated by most. Sure there will always be a bad apple or two in the bunch that choose to make the match staffs life more difficult than it needs to be. But that is the same in everything. You can choose to allow those few people to ruin your day or blow them off and enjoy the bulk of the shooters who do appreciate your efforts.

There is another advantage to being an RO or even working up to being a MD or RM. Seeing a good match run the right way. It is sooo much work to put on a match I can't even really describe it. But when everything comes together, the competitors and staff have a fun safe match - it is immensely rewarding.

Heck, I even enjoy seeing people finding holes in what I thought was a bullet proof stage design. I enjoy seeing other people being clever or seeing other people *think* they are being clever. [emoji6]

This

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I've ROed two Nations Championships and one large match and have had a great time at all of them.  Who does it for the money?  No worth it compared to working that week, but you do get to meet many shooters you would have never had the chance to see.  The two Nationals were at my local club and it was a blast setting up the stages and then ROing.  I didn't shoot because I was too busy working them.

I think the large match was a National but I forget.  It was held in Las Vegas and that in itself made it worth it.  A small per diem and hotel was provided.  I ROed with a couple of great people and they really tested me on my ability.  One of the most fun matches to go to.

If you don't do it you'll never know if you can or not. Trust me it's not like running a local or even a state level match, I've done a World Shoot ( Bali) and a number of LIV matches ( New Zealand and Thailand) and by the end you need a holiday despite having a god time, so taking leave from work to do it can be actually a bad idea if you think you will be refreshed after your break. 

I enjoy working the matches almost as much as I enjoy shooting them. The people you work with are mostly a great bunch. And every one of them are there to provide a much needed service. Sad to say, but the average age of our RO and CRO staff is really getting up there. At the Prod/CO Nats this year, we were talking about it, and the consensus was that the average this year was probably at or near 60. 

We need more level 2 classes

1 hour ago, gmantwo said:

I enjoy working the matches almost as much as I enjoy shooting them. The people you work with are mostly a great bunch. And every one of them are there to provide a much needed service. Sad to say, but the average age of our RO and CRO staff is really getting up there. At the Prod/CO Nats this year, we were talking about it, and the consensus was that the average this year was probably at or near 60. 

We need more level 2 classes

Yes, and we need more shooters who aren't just "shoot and scoot", who understand that the matches aren't there just for their convenience.  

I'll build and tear down stages every time. I know what I'm good at and what I'm not. Giving me the timer is not playing to a strength.

I'm glad there is more than one way to help a match run and be enjoyable than just being a RO. Stage designer, stage builder, sign in and registration, assigned mentor for new shooters, clean up crew, ect.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

I'll build and tear down stages every time. I know what I'm good at and what I'm not. Giving me the timer is not playing to a strength.

I'm glad there is more than one way to help a match run and be enjoyable than just being a RO. Stage designer, stage builder, sign in and registration, assigned mentor for new shooters, clean up crew, ect.

And some have to do all of the above plus RO to keep the club going. Having said that, I do it by choice so I'm not complaining, just stating fact.

14 hours ago, rowdyb said:

It doesn't bother me if you prefer not to RO, but I just wonder why. What is it about running timer that makes it a weakness for you? Are you too slow to keep up with shooters? Do you not know the rules very well? Is your vision very poor? I doubt any of those are the case since you are a pretty good shooter. Are you just nervous or shy? If so, getting out of your comfort zone is a good way to learn and grow.  (btw, I am not trying to judge you or get in your face about this... just curious. If you don't feel like RO-ing that is fine, especially since you are willing to help in other ways).

I have found that RO-ing matches has improved my shooting significantly. I learn the rules better, and I get to see every imaginable mistake, and also many creative ways of attacking a stage.

I just got back from working a state match that I originally wasn't going to work because of job travel and stuff, but they were in a jam so I said I'd work it, and I'm glad I did. My stage ran perfectly with no reshoots or calls for calibration or dq's or arguments or anything. I take some pride in that.

Edited by motosapiens

In general I am a quiet and I guess you could say shy person.  I am very uncomfortable speaking in front of groups of people.  ROing and handling scoring at our local matches has helped me a lot with that.  

Edited by CrashDodson

I think Crash and I were in the same seminar (Dallas?).  FWIW, I just returned my exam for grading so I hope to be Level I relatively soon.  I'll primarily help out at local matches, but every local match I've been to has been run with RO's who are also shooters, so folks rotate in/out.  Typically one (maybe two) actual RO's per squad and folks helping out with keeping score on tablets.

I'm going to look for larger matches to work but the real caveat is time - I can't spend four days for a two day match (pre-match, RO shoot/one-day shoot, two day match) so I'm going to have to be choosy and plan ahead.

17 hours ago, mreed911 said:

I'm going to look for larger matches to work but the real caveat is time - I can't spend four days for a two day match (pre-match, RO shoot/one-day shoot, two day match) so I'm going to have to be choosy and plan ahead.

Yeah, this is why you probably see so many older (retired) gentlemen working area and national matches. I am fortunate in that I have more vacation time than my wife, so I can spend a little of it working a big match. However many sectional/state matches can be done in 2 days, one for the staff shoot, and one for the main match, especially if it's local to you.

Rowdy makes a good point in that you probably won't place quite as well, due to the extra distractions and lack of preparation and planning time. However, I think that having to shoot under those conditions is excellent training, and makes it much easier to deal with big match pressure. It's also a reason why I don't make any attempt to work EVERY major, just my home area and sectional and maybe nationals if it is on my side of the country. Then I can travel to another area or section match and it feels like I have all the time in the world to prepare and shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

To me, my biggest reason was to give back. Obviously these matches would never be possible without the volunteers and as someone else pointed out, you will learn a lot watching 300 shooters shooting your stage and how the top shooters do things a bit differently. It's kind of like a class when you start watching small details like footwork, manipulations, what their eyes are doing during transitions Etc. You'll also learn a lot about stage design and common mistakes. Yes there will be tough calls and disagreements but the best thing you can do is to keep it professional, admit your mistakes quickly and remember that the shooter is the customer for the business that you're representing. Like Troy says, don't be a dick!

• 1 year later...

I would highly recommend that every RO should try to work at least one major match a year.  As MReed911 said, forward planning is important.  The benefits, as a shooter and RO to working a major match, are tremendous.  I worked a production national match only two months after getting certified as an RO.  Talk about nervous, I was petrified.  I made mistakes too but not the same ones twice.  I learned as much in those 5 days than I had in the prior two years of shooting at my local club.  I also learned how to run a stage the correct way.  I cringe when I see local clubs bending or haphazardly applying rules because it teaches bad habits.   I love seeing young ROs or CROs.  The sport must not become stagnant by relying on old timers to carry the water. 

After I first posted to this thread back in August, I worked my first level 2 (Kentucky State).  I got what I was mostly wanting, which was that I learned a lot from the two more experienced ROs I worked with.  I certainly can be a labor of love - spent a good part of it in pouring rain.  I was also reminded over and over again about why I like the sport (apart from the shooting stuff).  Really good people, working really hard to put on a good match for the sport.  You can't do one of these things without coming away with a bunch more appreciation for those folks who put out the effort to make it all work.  And I can't remember any complainers or problem children.  I got to watch a lot of good shooters.  I'll be working BITB this year, and I'm looking forward to it.

For me I became an RO for the same reason that I became a Director (referee) in Olympic style fencing. I wanted to understand the sport better in order to become better at the sport. I have worked a couple of sectionals and an area match, and found the experiences overall enjoyable (both during and after). The benefits do not equal the work that I put in, but I would rather be enjoying a day at the range (or a day directing fencing) than at work. So the benefits (pay, etc...) is icing on the cake for me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy competing more than RO'ing or Directing fencing, but there are plenty of other things that I give my time to (willingly) that don't receive any compensation for.

Edited by Blueridge