Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack 9 vs .40 vs 45

jellyb

I have shot both and I would have to say shooting 45 is good for points if your not very accurate or accurate but not much speed in reloads, splits, transitions and movement. But if you are all of the above consider this. ⏬

The 9 will give you 2 extra rounds. If you are A-zone all the way, got speed on reloads, splits, transitions and movement then IMO this would be the best platform to play with.

Regardless there is and will be someone better.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm very much a rookie, but I shoot a 1911 .45 for my single stack and limited 10. The reasons: I feel a connection to the past with it as it is the all american badass, and (as someone mentioned above) it hammers down steel poppers and plates. With my limited gun I run a 40 limcat loaded to to 165-168 PF and I often find myself shooting heavy poppers twice just because I'm not sure if they're falling. I have seen guys shooing 9mm have to shoot big poppers twice to make them fall. I'd feel uneasy about that.

On the other hand, 9mm will be extremely inexpensive and available!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the information that is posted here. I want to get into SS but not sure which caliber to go with. I currently shoot .40 in Limited and the ability to use the same ammo is a plus but the soft shooting 1911 in 9 minor would be a dream. The extra rounds is a plus but since I'm not the most accurate shooter the point factor sucks. What to do what to do. 9mm is also cheaper to buy factory and reload. Can someone be REALLY nice and let me use their gun and gear in each caliber for a season to decide :D

3 hours ago, BLT said:

Thanks for all the information that is posted here. I want to get into SS but not sure which caliber to go with. I currently shoot .40 in Limited and the ability to use the same ammo is a plus but the soft shooting 1911 in 9 minor would be a dream. The extra rounds is a plus but since I'm not the most accurate shooter the point factor sucks. What to do what to do. 9mm is also cheaper to buy factory and reload. Can someone be REALLY nice and let me use their gun and gear in each caliber for a season to decide :D

Funny as you think that sounds. We use to do that all the time back in the day!

One of the M class open shooters in our area has what he calls a student gun and lets it out for about a month at a time to people who want to try open.

Make mention of it on a couple of squads you shoot on and you'll be surprised what offers you get about using someone elses gun for a while

On 5/31/2016 at 10:01 PM, Dr Mitch said:

With .40S&W you can use the same ammo in your Single Stack and Limited guns. Winner winner chicken dinner.

This is what I did. I started in SS 9mm, bought a LTD 40 gun, then went with a 40 SS gun so I could run the same ammo. That being said, there is something to be said for doing SS minor. 

As a not so accurate shooter myself, I had a chrono “incident” at a local match that bumped me to minor scoring. Cost me about 10% if I remember correctly.

I am switching my SV from 40 to 9.  WHAT and take the hit on scoring?  Yes. 

If you are shooting a USPSA match that has all divisions, combinations of steel, plate racks, no shoots, hard cover, then I think 9mm is the way to go.

Many years ago at the Mid Coast Dual Championship-SS/Prod.  Dave S points were significantly better than Taran B.  I talked to Dave about it and his response was he had two extra round and was able to go faster knowing he had make up shots if he needed them.

Last year, at the WSSSC I shot with the winner and the #6 shooter as well as some well placed women.  WSSSC is a tough match.  Lots of everything.  Steve and his crew go out of their way to ensure it is SS friendly.  Regardless, I saw many standing reloads with the major v. minor caliber.  So take that hypothesis, does speed (not having to do extra reloads or standing reloads) have the advantage over major scoring.  Yes, I know that a SS championship has never be won with minor but then again look at who has 17 or so of them plus Nils.

It might be interesting to what the women shot at SS Nats.  I thought Sara was shooting 9mm.  Not sure just a thought.

I'll probably shoot 9 next month at the WSSSC.

I like .40 just so I can load limited and single stack simultaneously.  Makes buying reloading components in bulk easier.  I also have a .45, but tumbling, loading, and shooting the same load is a huge time saver, especially when you have 2 shooters in the family 

18 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Funny as you think that sounds. We use to do that all the time back in the day!

One of the M class open shooters in our area has what he calls a student gun and lets it out for about a month at a time to people who want to try open.

Make mention of it on a couple of squads you shoot on and you'll be surprised what offers you get about using someone elses gun for a while

HOLY COW that is awesome is so many ways! I will try it and see what happens. Thank you sir.

3 hours ago, pjb45 said:

I am switching my SV from 40 to 9.  WHAT and take the hit on scoring?  Yes. 

If you are shooting a USPSA match that has all divisions, combinations of steel, plate racks, no shoots, hard cover, then I think 9mm is the way to go.

Many years ago at the Mid Coast Dual Championship-SS/Prod.  Dave S points were significantly better than Taran B.  I talked to Dave about it and his response was he had two extra round and was able to go faster knowing he had make up shots if he needed them.

Last year, at the WSSSC I shot with the winner and the #6 shooter as well as some well placed women.  WSSSC is a tough match.  Lots of everything.  Steve and his crew go out of their way to ensure it is SS friendly.  Regardless, I saw many standing reloads with the major v. minor caliber.  So take that hypothesis, does speed (not having to do extra reloads or standing reloads) have the advantage over major scoring.  Yes, I know that a SS championship has never be won with minor but then again look at who has 17 or so of them plus Nils.

It might be interesting to what the women shot at SS Nats.  I thought Sara was shooting 9mm.  Not sure just a thought.

I'll probably shoot 9 next month at the WSSSC.

Thanks for the insight sir. I will look up what the pros are using but still think 9mm is where I will start. I shoot a friends Rock Island in 9mm and it was very soft but need to try more then magazine. I don't plan on any major matches and most of the local matches would be fine with the 9mm. I'm not a fan of the limited number of factory made SS in .40 caliber. Nothing against the STI Trojan but I really want to try a Dan Wesson Pointman Nine PM-9. I have a STI Edge but want to try another brand. I have two kids I'm planning on introducing to steel and hopefully move them into USPSA, if they want to. So the 9mm would be better. They will more then likely start off with a PCC of some kind though and not a handgun. Come on the PCC is so FUN! Same ammo for PCC and SS so that a winner. I realize the .40 can be down loaded but I really like some of 9mm factory guns out there. I will contact some local friends in the USPSA game and see what the each option feels like BUT the extra rounds in SS minor will probably be the winner winner chicken dinner.

I have seen a lot of Sig Sauer  Max  1911 both in .40 & .45.  I own one in .40. By far a better gun than my RO or Kimber which are .45.  My son (12) has been shooting it for almost a year now. Best value on the market right now.  We don't shoot it in minor for matches, but have just to see if it would run, and it does.  We use the Wilson 47 mags with extended pads. It has EGW fire controls, Dawson Ice magwell and great aggressive grips! Good components for a $1200 gun. Only came with 2 mags tho.

It's the only Sig I own, but we have run around 14,000 rounds through it and haven't had 1 hiccup.  

I must be the last dinosaur shooting my SS in .38 Super.  But I also have a .45 And a .40 L-10 gun that would only need a barrel, and magwell swap.  .38 Super just gives me peace of mind on feeding.  None of them are guns you can buy as they are all frankenguns  I put together myself.  The .45 is the most accurate and I actually do better with it since I need points being so slow now.  Yeah, .38 Super and Comp is expensive but I shoot at a good club where I get most of it back.  The club is also small enough that classes don't matter...order of finish rules even if the PCC guys skew the results since they're the only ones who can shoot hi-cap.  I'll finish one or two places higher with the .45 than the .38 Super.

4 hours ago, BlueBulletBeaker said:

That's what I did. I have two .45s and two 9mm set up exactly the same. Having separate systems is a great way to go if you can afford it. Excellent choices by the way. 

I have three, 9mm for SS Minor, .40 for SS Major and .45 just cause you have to have one in .45.

The .40 S&W gun is an old Kimber converted. 

THREE SS.jpg