Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much do you spend a year on shooting?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot less than the $25,000+/yr I was spending on competitive offshore fishing ...

I find it interesting that most people don't seem to have any idea what they spend on this sport ... I assume that's not really true. But maybe it is ....

You don't have to worry about your wife finding out about things if you include her in your shooting activities. My wife is my best friend, so why would I not want her to enjoy having fun the way I do? Why would someone choose someone to spend life with who would not have things in common with that are main points of spending time and/or money?

You don't have to worry about your wife finding out about things if you just tell her, and continue doing whatever you think is best.

I pay the mortgage and buy most of the food and finance the vacations and fund the retirement accounts, so my wife doesn't really care what else I spend my money on.

:cheers:

Honesty is a virtue. I enjoy coming home and telling my wife about the great deal I just got today! She certainly isn't a fraction of the gun nut I am, but she enjoys my passion and take a genuine interest in the things I love. The important part is to reciprocate.

without a doubt. I spent more on wine for my wife at the Area 1 match (held in one of the world's premier wine regions) than I did on my new tac sport last week. She's definitely not being deprived because of my shooting habit.

I find it interesting that most people don't seem to have any idea what they spend on this sport ... I assume that's not really true. But maybe it is ....

I think for those of us who (like you) have had much more expensive hobbies in the past, it just doesn't really matter. I don't need to have any idea what I spend, I KNOW it's much less than we spend on quality wine every year. It's much less than I spend on house/yard improvements. Who cares how much it is?

Maybe not the dollar figure, but I suppose it is useful to know how much ammo or reloading components to buy to know what your expected consumption is to stay on top of it and have a buffer in case of supply interruptions. Last year was a pain in the neck to have surprises, shall we say--as in if you didn't have what you needed, you either paid a hefty markup and/or scoured the globe, or did with less or without.

Edited by yellowfin

Coming from being a car person to being a competitive shooter, I'd say that shooting is probably cheaper.

Like others, my wife and I shoot IDPA and 3-gun, so it isn't cheap, and it ain't gonna get any cheaper. Gonna start reloading this winter.

• 5 months later...

Reading this thread, I'm lead to believe I might be the only single guy on this forum (if not the entire sport.)

My one-time pay-in in the form of an AR, a reserve AR, a cheap shotgun and a glock comes in at about $4,000. Then the ammo I have burned through so far to attain at least a modicum of skill for a beginner...probably another $2,000. And somewhere between $500 and $1,000 in random gear. This was all in the last 6 months or so. It took me a long time to save up the funds for all of it, and I'm already feeling a sharp need to cull my ammo consumption. I fear that unless I either magically reduce my costs or magically increase my income, I might not be in the game all that long...

Reading this thread, I'm lead to believe I might be the only single guy on this forum (if not the entire sport.)

My one-time pay-in in the form of an AR, a reserve AR, a cheap shotgun and a glock comes in at about $4,000. Then the ammo I have burned through so far to attain at least a modicum of skill for a beginner...probably another $2,000. And somewhere between $500 and $1,000 in random gear. This was all in the last 6 months or so. It took me a long time to save up the funds for all of it, and I'm already feeling a sharp need to cull my ammo consumption. I fear that unless I either magically reduce my costs or magically increase my income, I might not be in the game all that long...

You're not alone, I'm also single and although doing my best to remedy that situation, after calculating up my potential 2015 expenses may stay that way for a while.

Memberships to local clubs/ranges - $450

Match entry fees - $1250

Mileage to/from (at IRS $0.575/mile) - $1250

Training courses, local or remote - $3000

Ammo - $5000

I tried to be as conservative as possible, but right at $11k a year. Right now, I only reload 9mm (and just started that two weeks ago, through Brian's links), but since that's 90% of what I shoot probably will stay that way. Doesn't count my NFA and subgun habits, if I attend Knob Creek twice this year to compete, that's an extra $1000+ in travel alone.

I'd suggest reloading to save costs, but it really doesn't - at least not directly. $2000 for the full setup - just means you have more time to send more rounds downrange per year; but over the lifetime of the gear, absolutely worth it.

Edited by jt15550

I find ways to cut my costs of my shooting hobbie.

One way, which I didnt think about till after the fact, was to have a kid.

My wife is limiting my away time and I am trying to fit in all the major in state matches and two out of state matches this year.

I buy reloading components and gun parts when there are sales or free shipping.

black fridaY and cyber monday were good times to buy.

I look at where I have friends or family living and then look at what shooting matches are in that area.

This gets me free housing and my wife uses it as a vacation!

I have ROed a few matches and paid for a lot of the costs of major matches.

Some give hotel costs and food and free match fees. U just need the vacation time from work.

Sell stuff u get and dont use and reinvest into gun stuff.

I work overtime and a part time job and special events and tell the wife I am only working all these extra hours so i can buy bullets etc. And not take money out of our regular fund for all these things i buy.

car pool to matches if i can.

I don't drink alcohol so this is my beer money!

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Just buy a 650 - easy way to reduce your ammo costs [emoji56]

As long as you're not spending the rent or food or other essentials money why does it matter how much you spend? It's not a business, it's just something to do ... Isn't that the whole purpose of working so that you have the money to spend on things you want?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know yet as I haven't started competing.But just on reloading components I've bought in the last 2 weeks it's gonna be a lot lol.The good thing (or bad) is the wife love shooting also.In the last couple weeks :

Bullets 180.00

Primers 90.00

Powder 191.00

New stag arms model 6 ar 980.00

Reloading yesterday and my powder measurer on my square deal old model has worn so much that it starting to lean on every up stroke so I'll have to order a new one seems like the metal is worn down .looks like around another hundred buck to get one.

I'm totally in denial and afraid to look, but I do make sure I meet my financial obligations and priorities first, and I don't use credit debt for shooting sports.

I just started shooting at the end of the summer though - I know I've spent thousands since I've got a couple of guns and a Dillon 650, in addition to the mags, rig, contests, ammo, etc. but hopefully I'll get to a point where I'm only spending on supplies, matches, and upkeep, and will be more comfortable with the total number of transactions.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

I don't know yet as I haven't started competing.But just on reloading components I've bought in the last 2 weeks it's gonna be a lot lol.The good thing (or bad) is the wife love shooting also.In the last couple weeks :

Bullets 180.00

Primers 90.00

Powder 191.00

New stag arms model 6 ar 980.00

Reloading yesterday and my powder measurer on my square deal old model has worn so much that it starting to lean on every up stroke so I'll have to order a new one seems like the metal is worn down .looks like around another hundred buck to get one.

Call Dillon, they'll probably warranty the part.

I have no idea, and I don't shoot half as much as many I know.

I started a business in retirement to finance it. That keeps the wife happy because she hasn't a clue and doesn't see the bills that support it.

And the motorcycle analogy is apt! Holy smokes, those were thousand dollar weekends back in the day...............road racing motorcycles.

yep,been there done that, a racing week end at the nationals was close to 3000 ,this just in tires, and race gas. add to this the hotel, trailer ,gas and the occasional low side.....pfft..i tell myself that spending 5 ks in matches over the year is sweet nothing compared to superbike racing.

Edited by sigsauerfan