Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX 155's what are your thoughts?

Majja

I am going to need to pick up a couple of new mags for my 38sc and I was wondering about the MBX 155's.  Is there that much improvement over the 140's with the xtra rounds or do they reload more like a 170.  Please let me have you thoughts on a 155 vs a 140.

Thanks

Matt

I'd much rather reload a 155 than a 170.  Capacity is about 3 more than a 140 and about 3 less than a 170.  Sits a little nicer on your belt too. Especially if it's tilted a lot. 

I have three 170's, three 140's and one 155... 

I don't use the 155 as much as I thought I would...  I'll lay it on a barrel on an all-mags-on-barrel start stage...  If I need more rounds at the start of a big stage, I'll start with the 155 and drop it for a 140...  I don't like dropping my 170's if I don't have to...

I'm used to reloading with 140's...  That's what I practice with...

I switched to MBX 155's & 170's and haven't had any issues.  Still dryfire and practice with 140's, but feel the only time the short sticks may provide an advantage is for a speed shoot or classifier that requires a standing reload.

• 4 weeks later...

I use nothing but 155's and 170's. Since I didn't come from limited I never found anything nice about handling 140's. Sold them all. Basically, always reload to a 170 and dump 155's on the ground. 

I cut one coil off the 13 coil Grams spring for my 155mm magazine...

I figured if a 140 has 11 coils and a 170 has 13 coils, a 155 (halfway between a 140 and a 170) should be fine with 12 coils...  Worked fine so far...

Edited by RaylanGivens

13 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I cut one coil off the 13 coil Grams spring for my 155mm magazine...

I figured if a 140 has 11 coils and a 170 has 13 coils, a 155 (halfway between a 140 and a 170) should be fine with 12 coils...  Worked fine so far...

Well numbers make sense but Im not sure why to do that.  Do you get an extra round in mag?

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I figured that would make the pressure the same...  Didn't try if before I cut the spring off...

If more pressure is better, why don't people use a 13 coil spring in a 140?

Because you'd lose a round in a 140.

Hello: If you use a Para base pad on a 140mm SVI mag you will get 26-27 rounds. With the stages they way they are setup now I may just go to the 140 setup and save the 170mm for stages that I don't have to reload on. Having lots of options is good. Thanks, Eric

I know Eric has been successful using Para pads on 140 mags, I can't get them to work. I've tried STI, SV old style, & I always get a stuck follower & a kinked up spring. With the 126 STI tube, the ribs go further down & my follower doesn't stick. With Para bases & Grams 11 coil guts, I get 25 reloadable. It's a handy mag.

That's a lot of rounds for a 140...  and they fit the USPSA gauge?

I've heard that some people can get 30 9mm rounds in the old style SVI 170mm magazines...  I've never seen one, or been able to find one, but 30+1 would be useful... 

I'm going to be picking up one of these 155 to try it out. Are you changing out the spring and follower to Grams or shooting as it comes before changing if at all. I'm not sure if I like the new black MBX follewer, I liked the green one better. 

I've got one with the MBX guts and another I bought as just a tube and loaded with Grams stuff.  Both work equally well, but I like the fact that I can get the Grams replacement springs in quantity for less money ($7.58 ea. for Grams in a 5 pack vs. $11.98 for the MBX).

Edited by tyler2you

• 2 weeks later...

Does a 155 take longer to break in the spring. I just got one and put 26 rounds in it and the slide does not close, have to push it close. I tried a old 13 coil spring its better but still does not want to close.  I never had this problem with my 140s or 170.