Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX 155's what are your thoughts?

Majja

I have not had to tune any of my MBX magazines (other than the feed lips and followers), but your post makes me think I should check them out further...

I assume you just remove the slide and put the barrel in the lower locking lugs and check for clearance to the magazine...  How do you check for clearance between the slide and the magazine?

Edited by RaylanGivens

The front of your mag will have dings or you can open your slide and see it is close or touching the feed ramp.  To find out if the slide is touching, you can also look with the slide open and by feel.  I also colored the mags with a marker or dykem and ran the slide, removed the mag and you could see the marks.  One of my guns would not even come close to running with them.  It took a lot of hours to get 7 mags to run in 3 guns.  I also ditched the mbx springs/followers.  They are junk. 

Edited by echotango

Opinions are like .....  never mind.  Mine have been flawless with the so called junk springs a followers from day one without a single tweek.   As have everybody's that I know.  As well as many people here.  Ford and Chevy thing I guess.  If you have trouble with MBX, if you have not worked with the manufacturer, who I understand stands behind his product, well that is on you as well.  

I wonder how many problems are self inflicted?  Thinking in writing and not really needing to know.  

If you have not had problems after running them stock, why look for problems?

Yes I understand opinions are like ....  everyone has one.  Fortunately, to me, mine is the only one I listen too.  ?

Mike

Not sure how rounds falling under the follower is self inflicted? I tried to work with them several times.  It came down to sending all my mags to them for x amount of time?  Not willing to spend weeks without mags after spending $900.  I fixed them myself.  After I switched to another brand of followers, my rounds under follower issue went away.  As did others with the same issue.  

Also not sure how mags not dropping, rubbing on slides and touching the feed ramp is self inflicted? This was on 3 guns.  2x FGW and 1x MCG.

That is great for you that they worked out of the box.  For most around here, that has not been the case.  For me 1 malf is 1 too many.  I am not a 1 in 1000 or 1 in 5000 fan.  I try to have zero. Since I fixed my mags, I am at zero.  Prior to fixing them, it was nowhere near that. 

Sorry to offend you if you are an mbx shooter, but it was a long road....

Edited by echotango

My 2 140s and 170 work good right out of the bag. It's just this 155, I did put a 6 month out 13 coil spring and a new Grams 13 coil and follow it did the same. The slide did not to close. I did check it without spring and follower it was fine, with new spring and follower it was slow, with used spring and/or new Grams spring and follower it was fine. Load the mag up it don't work. 

18 hours ago, echotango said:

Not sure how rounds falling under the follower is self inflicted? I tried to work with them several times.  It came down to sending all my mags to them for x amount of time?  Not willing to spend weeks without mags after spending $900.  I fixed them myself.  After I switched to another brand of followers, my rounds under follower issue went away.  As did others with the same issue. 

I bought my first MBX magazine complete...  had problems with rounds falling under the follower...  Tried bending the spring to straighten out the follower...  this helped, but never completely solved the problem...  Switching to Grams springs and followers solved the problem.

Since then, I have always purchased new MBX magazine tubes with an MBX base plate...  Then I purchase separate Grams followers and springs...  Saves a few bucks over purchasing a complete magazine.

19 hours ago, Steelix said:

My 2 140s and 170 work good right out of the bag. It's just this 155, I did put a 6 month out 13 coil spring and a new Grams 13 coil and follow it did the same. The slide did not to close. I did check it without spring and follower it was fine, with new spring and follower it was slow, with used spring and/or new Grams spring and follower it was fine. Load the mag up it don't work. 

I cut one coil off a Grams 13 coil spring for a MBX 155mm magazine...  Re-bend the new bottom coil to match a factory Grams spring and they work fine...  Not sure if this would make a difference for you, but it is something to think about after you have tried the items mentioned by echotango in his post...

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I cut one coil off a Grams 13 coil spring for a MBX 155mm magazine...  Re-bend the new bottom coil to match a factory Grams spring and they work fine...  Not sure if this would make a difference for you, but it is something to think about after you have tried the items mentioned by echotango in his post...

I did adjust that feed lips they were a little tight and got the follower to slide in tube better. With the old spring it worked all but first round at 26 had to push slide to close. Right now I have the new spring that came with the mag and going to let it sit all week with  26 rounds in it. The last thing I'll try is the current down Grams spring. I did email MBX and they had me check I few things out. I hope they just replace it, I think from doing some measurements that the mag release  hole is off, as not the same reading as my other MBX mags. 

On 7/5/2017 at 0:16 PM, RaylanGivens said:

That's a lot of rounds for a 140...  and they fit the USPSA gauge?

I've heard that some people can get 30 9mm rounds in the old style SVI 170mm magazines...  I've never seen one, or been able to find one, but 30+1 would be useful... 

Yup its true. I have 3

7 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Can you still buy them anywhere?

I can get 30 in my stock mbx mags. I also get 30 in SVI tubes using Bolen followers and the tube has been tuned at the bottom. The ribs have been smoothed giving the spring and follower more room.

Edited by AWLAZS

It's personal preference...
I spent some time dryfire reloading all 3 sizes last night...
decision I'm facing is: practice more with 155/170s and buy few more of those... (currently flub them about 1/3 of the time if I'm going for speed)

Or start with a 170 (as usual) and reload to 140s... I almost never flub a 140 reload due to a lot of practice in production/limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk