Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing lanolin case lube

ColoradoShooter

I've been experimenting with a light lanolin and alcohol mix on my 9mm cases to see if it makes resizing smoother on my 550. Not quite sold on it yet, but problem is removing this stuff from completed rounds. I have corn cobb in a Dillon tumbler and added some mineral spirits. No bueno. Any ideas? Hand cleaning is not an option.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have enough case lube on your completed rounds to feel like you need to remove it, you're putting too much lube on the cases. I use Dillon case lube and don't feel like I need to do anything after the rounds are loaded. I've done this on over 100K rounds and have had no problems. I spray the lube on the cases when they are on a towel, then roll the towel back and forth and then wipe the cases with the towel. Then into the bucket by the press.

Lube brass.jpg

I have a tube of Lansinoh left over from when we had little kids.  I put just bit on my thumb and first finger, rub them together, and (pistol) cases get lubed as I move them from the brass bin to station 1 on my RL550B.  It makes a huge difference in the effort necessary to size cases.  When the benefit feels like it's ceased, I rub a bit more into my fingers.  I don't remove it from finished cartridges.  

For rifle brass processing, I use the Dillon spray on lube, and have never had any issues with tumbling it off.  What sort of corn cob are you using, and how long did you give it?  You shouldn't need solvent (spirits) to tumble it off.

2 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

If you have enough case lube on your completed rounds to feel like you need to remove it, you're putting too much lube on the cases. I use Dillon case lube and don't feel like I need to do anything after the rounds are loaded. I've done this on over 100K rounds and have had no problems. I spray the lube on the cases when they are on a towel, then roll the towel back and forth and then wipe the cases with the towel. Then into the bucket by the press.

Lube brass.jpg

Maybe, maybe not. I mix mine pretty lanolin heavy and it feels like the brass isn't even being sized it's so smooth.

I tumble in very fine corn for half hour and it's all gone and the brass glistens!

3 hours ago, ColoradoShooter said:

I've been experimenting with a light lanolin and alcohol mix on my 9mm cases to see if it makes resizing smoother on my 550. Not quite sold on it yet, but problem is removing this stuff from completed rounds. I have corn cobb in a Dillon tumbler and added some mineral spirits. No bueno. Any ideas? Hand cleaning is not an option.

Shouldn't need the spirits. I just run in fine corn for half hour and it removes everything. :)

8 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Maybe, maybe not. I mix mine pretty lanolin heavy and it feels like the brass isn't even being sized it's so smooth.

I tumble in very fine corn for half hour and it's all gone and the brass glistens!

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Shouldn't need the spirits. I just run in fine corn for half hour and it removes everything. :)

Agree, I just tumble mine for a while 20-30 minutes and the look and feel great

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

For me that's a couple of extra steps I don't want to do (tumble and separate media), besides, I gave my vibratory tumbler away a couple of years ago. :)

11 minutes ago, oteroman said:

Poor clean brass on
cookie sheet, spray with Hornady one shot (lasts forever). Your done!!!! Load and forget...it is not rocket science, don't look back....

After two years of using OS I got my hands on some Dillon lube(lanolin). Lanolin based lube is easily 4 times slicker than OS.

Wow!  I use 2 oz lanolin in a qt of alcohol. Spray with a plant spritzer.

On 12/13/2016 at 7:48 AM, Sarge said:

Somebody once posted on here they kept thinning a bottle of Dillon lube with alcohol for years and it still worked great so I mix mine about 20% lanolin I think.

11 hours ago, oteroman said:

Sarge- I believe you. But isn't the issue he is now trying to remove residue? No residue with One Shot.

There is still a little residue with OS. Not like lanolin though. Tumbling in corn works for both!:)

I use a mix of 90% alcohol and 10% lanolin. Tumble in corn cob to remove the lube. When the cob gets a bit tacky add some mineral spirits and brass polish. My dry tumbler has only seen loaded rounds for the last couple years. 

So does everyone agree if I have to clean the lube off after loading...I'm using to much lube.

im going to try the suggestion of Dillon case lube in a flat Tupperware container and simply rolling the 9 mm brass around in it.....make sense ...how much spray to minimize cleaning afterwards?

Thanks........?