Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hats for sun shade

wingnut

I wore a hat for the first time last weekend, I don't see how you do it . it was waaay hotter with a hat than without.

Haven't got the nerve to wear those 'man' scarves - maybe in the winter, but summer??

Back when I was a kid we had a crazy neighbor who wore a black trench coat all summer - said it kept the heat out - maybe he was onto something :roflol:

I wore a hat for the first time last weekend, I don't see how you do it . it was waaay hotter with a hat than without.

Haven't got the nerve to wear those 'man' scarves - maybe in the winter, but summer??

Back when I was a kid we had a crazy neighbor who wore a black trench coat all summer - said it kept the heat out - maybe he was onto something :roflol:

We had an old guy that worked on our farm back in the '60s who swore that 2 pair of pants did the same in the summertime as that trench coat-wearing guy you mentioned! Maybe we're both missing something but.............I don't think so!

Tilley LTM6 Airflow for me. I can stuff it in my range bag and it pops right back to shape, and when it gets filthy chuck it in the washing machine and let it air dry and it looks like new.

I wear a visor at matches and a straw hat around the house when practicing or working outdoors. A visor lets the heat escape the top of your noggin & is secure, straw hat is a little hotter and blows off kinda easily but keeps the sun off my neck & face more.

I spent too much time in Florida seeing folks of all ages with skin caner, I'll look like a doofus to beat melanoma!

Tilley LTM6 Airflow for me. I can stuff it in my range bag and it pops right back to shape, and when it gets filthy chuck it in the washing machine and let it air dry and it looks like new.

+1 on Tilley Airflow!

This last weekend I wore one of the Huk full-face sun masks, long-sleeve fishing shirt and a ball cap while shooting/ROing one of our big matches here in So CO. It was wicked hot and we were setting-up/shooting/ROing for 4 straight days. I think it made a big difference - I didn't feel nearly as wrung-out and heat exhausted as I did last year shooting the same match. Keeping the sun off my arms and face seemed to be better than just wearing my wide-brimmed hat.

Would probably help if I lost 10 pounds too.

How do you all wear electronic ear protection with the wide brimmed hats?

Do you just use plugs instead?

Just plugs. Do the same thing in SASS and 3-gun. The right muff always rides up on me when I'm shooting long-guns, so I just use plugs for all shooting.

For the 2 minutes per match I'm actually shooting I put on a regular baseball hat and muffs. The rest of they day I just wear plugs.

+1

Just plugs. Do the same thing in SASS and 3-gun. The right muff always rides up on me when I'm shooting long-guns, so I just use plugs for all shooting.

Thanks for the solution here guys. I think I'll do the same - big hat and plugs, then switch to e-muffs and baseball cap for shooting.