Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pictorial Comparison RTS2 vs Deltapoint Pro

Smokin

46 minutes ago, hunt_fish said:

Hi all,

Sorry to reopen such an old thread - have a couple of questions. I run a sideways CMore and am getting fed up with having to jam my weak hand thumb into the gap where my thumb rest sits. More often than not I miss the grip (I dry fire a lot) and I'm tempted to go back to an upright CMore because of it. However I like the dot height of the sideways CMore and the lack of ejection issues - both of which could potentially be solved by going to an RTS2 or the Leupold.

@Shadyscott999 It looks like it's been just over a year since you tried the DPP - still running it? Any issues?

Does anyone have a measure of the height of the dot above the base of the scope for the RTS2 and the Leupold?

I'd like to compare dot heights above the bore for the upright CMore, RTS2, Leupold and sideways CMore; although I'd suggest those are roughly in the right order but RTS2 / Leupold are probably interchangeable?

Cheers, Ryan

I switched from a 90 cmore to RTS2 for 2 reasons. one was the thumb crowding on the left of the gun became annoying an second reason was the crappy zeroing method with slide rides just bending the plastic 'hinge' not giving very precise or repeatable adjustment.

I would say dot height from lowest to highest is: 90 cmore, RTS2, DPP, upright cmore. with mounts being equal the DPP will be a little higher as it's body is thicker.

the caveat is that some mounts are taller or shorter than others AND this will also be affected by the hole position in your frame. some are drilled slightly higher or lower.

My switch from 90 cmore to upright RTS2 was painless. I don't notice any height increase at all.

I have one RTS2 in 8MOA and one in 6MOA and trying to decide which I like most before I buy 2 more of them. I 'thought' I preferred the 8 Moa but the 6 is growing on me. 

One other thing I found. I regularly see the Cmore slide ride lease size quoted as 29mm diameter. I measured one and the actual glass diameter is more like 26mm. The bezel may be 29mm but the glass is not. So the lens size reduction is not as big as you might think. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So after more than a year since the original post, I believe C-more has all but rectified any issues with the RTS2 and it has become hugely popular as I see more and more people running this scope now, especial in Open div. as it has gained the top spot in the 2017 equipment survey.

I also see that the Delta Point Pro is averaging $325~$350.00 in most places, which is practically identical price point as the RTS2.

I'n reading this thread, most people seem to say that the Leupold scope is "much more reliable" , better made and has better ergonomics than its competitors. 

With that said, I wonder why the Delta Point has not gained as much popularity as the RTS2?

9 minutes ago, pitvpr said:

So after more than a year since the original post, I believe C-more has all but rectified any issues with the RTS2 and it has become hugely popular as I see more and more people running this scope now, especial in Open div. as it has gained the top spot in the 2017 equipment survey.

I also see that the Delta Point Pro is averaging $325~$350.00 in most places, which is practically identical price point as the RTS2.

I'n reading this thread, most people seem to say that the Leupold scope is "much more reliable" , better made and has better ergonomics than its competitors. 

With that said, I wonder why the Delta Point has not gained as much popularity as the RTS2?

A guess would be that C-More has been in the USPSA shooting sport longer.

Just a thought.

G

I switched to the DPP and then went back to the RTS2 for a few reasons:

- The dot in the RTS2 is crisper/rounder/brighter to my eyes. 

- The RTS2 had less distortion in the glass

- I prefer the extra bit of height in the window of the RTS2 (6mm if I recall correctly)

- The DPP gave me bad glare/sunburst in low light (indoor matches). 

- I hated the intensity adjustment on the DPP.  On the RTS2, you just poke the up button until it doesn't get any brighter where on the DPP you have to press--look, press--look until you get the dot blinking.  Then, if you go past the brightest setting, you get to do it all over again.

After getting my C-Mores upgraded to the V4 boards, I haven't had any reliability issues other than letting the battery go too long before changing and having it die on me.

Only guessing, of course, but the RTS2 is available in 3, 6, or 8moa with a larger window and thinner window frame than the Deltapoint.  For competition shooters, that offers pretty much anyone a choice that will fit their needs on individually specialized guns.  

The Deltapoint only offers a small dot or a larger triangle which has a shape that may be off-putting to competition shooters.  The thicker frame can potentially slow down transitions as well, at least for shooters trying to gain .01sec over the next guy.  I think many (if not most) competition shooters would follow that same train of thought.  

Now, having said that, if I'm building a tactical gun (or dual use firearm like a PCC) I'm going to look real hard at the 7.5moa "triangled" Deltapoint due to its motion activation and reinforced protective shroud.  Plus, the triangle concept sounds interesting to me as potentially serving as a larger "dot" combo'd with a precise point for distance shots.  That's only a guess because I haven't looked through a Deltapoint yet to make a truly informed decision, but I'd definitely investigate it.  

Remember, your question pertains to COMPETITION shooter choice.  The Deltapoint looks like a great dot, but I don't know that it was designed specifically for the competition market like the RTS2 was.  If you talk to a SWAT shooter, he'd probanly scoff at the RTS2 and rave about the Deltapoint's thick window frame for strength, etc.  It all comes down to the projected use of the particular gun and building the best system to support that use.  

Edited by jkrispies

The Delta Point has a wider Glass and the RTS-2 is a little taller. C-More was the Dot in IPSC and USPSA way before the Delta Point from Leupold. The C-More sights were the standard and had th USPSA and IPSC locked up until the RTS-2's circuit board issues. We all wanted something we know wouldn't fail. Enter The DP and later the DP-Pro. Leupold's DP Pro is built better with better quality parts and glass period. The warranty they offer is a no brainer, kinda like the Dillon no BS warranty. Lol almost..

Edited by a matt

If DP had bigger dot size it would be great. Right now I will stick with my RTS2 with the 8moa. I have old eye's and like the large dot size. I have shoot a friends gun with the DP it's to small, I don't care how bright it is, still just to small. 

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Now, having said that, if I'm building a tactical gun (or dual use firearm like a PCC) I'm going to look real hard at the 7.5moa "triangled" Deltapoint due to its motion activation and reinforced protective shroud.  Plus, the triangle concept sounds interesting to me as potentially serving as a larger "dot" combo'd with a precise point for distance shots.  That's only a guess because I haven't looked through a Deltapoint yet to make a truly informed decision, but I'd definitely investigate it.  

Very true,

The Delta Point pro is by far the most popular in Carry Optics Div., which would make sense if you subscribe to the TAC vs Competitive theory. 

But honestly I have been running a couple of RTS2 scopes practically since they came out, (rode that version wave too) and now I have one on my PCC, wouldn't have any reason to switch.

RTS2 is the best shooting micro dot. Glass size, frame size, dot sizes, glass quality, adjustments, etc. Until there is a better competitive shooting dot, I'll deal with the troubles, though they have been few for me since I adopted in early '16 and non-existent since v4. 

I think those that choose the dpp know they have a sub-optimal dot so they do a little extra rationalization to justify it. 

Edited by theWacoKid

Thanks folks - I've gone with an RTS2. Will get it fitted for the weekend and see how we go!

Went for the 3moa (as that was all I could find) - I use a 4moa in my slideride at the moment and hoping that with it on full brightness it will appear large enough...

Will let you all know how I get on!

8 hours ago, hunt_fish said:

Went for the 3moa (as that was all I could find) - I use a 4moa in my slideride at the moment and hoping that with it on full brightness it will appear large enough...

It probably won't. The 3 is crazy small. I compared it to a 2 MOA in a slideride and it was smaller than that. I shot a few matches with a 3 but it isn't ideal. 

Edited by theWacoKid

On ‎5‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:06 PM, theWacoKid said:

It probably won't. The 3 is crazy small. I compared it to a 2 MOA in a slideride and it was smaller than that. I shot a few matches with a 3 but it isn't ideal. 

Shot a club match this past weekend. Crazy small is right - but it's very precise and is bright enough even with the sun from behind.

Could aim for the centre of a 6" plate at 40m no problems. For now - I love it!

21 hours ago, hunt_fish said:

Shot a club match this past weekend. Crazy small is right - but it's very precise and is bright enough even with the sun from behind.

Could aim for the centre of a 6" plate at 40m no problems. For now - I love it!

That's good. I could say it was awesome on long partials and absolutely perfect indoors. Most around me shoot an 8, but I think the 6 works best given the little extra precision for technical stages. 

I have both the DPP 2.5MOA and the RTS2 8MOA and they are actually very similar dot size.  The DPP was very expensive but now is a similar price to RTS2.  I still talk to people who think DPP is too expensive to consider.

The RTS2 has a better way to adjust brightness but the DPP is better for me in every other way.  DPP has much better glass, zeroing adjustments and battery design.  Ideally, both sights could have lower profile base but after a little dry fire, it does not really matter.

post-40280-0-68256200-1464223629_thumb.jpg

8 hours ago, andersonj55126 said:

I have both the DPP 2.5MOA and the RTS2 8MOA and they are actually very similar dot size.  The DPP was very expensive but now is a similar price to RTS2.  I still talk to people who think DPP is too expensive to consider.

The RTS2 has a better way to adjust brightness but the DPP is better for me in every other way.  DPP has much better glass, zeroing adjustments and battery design.  Ideally, both sights could have lower profile base but after a little dry fire, it does not really matter.

Interesting photo to see them side-by-side like that, both in terms of dot and window size.

12 hours ago, andersonj55126 said:

The dot size variation between manufacturers astounds me... How a 2.5MOA and an 8MOA can look the same is ridiculous, when it should be measurable at 100yds. I've noticed this too. From your picture / description, I'm glad I went for the 3MOA RTS2 - 8MOA is way too big for my personal liking

Thanks for the pic.

7 hours ago, hunt_fish said:

The dot size variation between manufacturers astounds me... How a 2.5MOA and an 8MOA can look the same is ridiculous, when it should be measurable at 100yds. I've noticed this too. From your picture / description, I'm glad I went for the 3MOA RTS2 - 8MOA is way too big for my personal liking

Thanks for the pic.

the 2.5 dot looks much smaller than that picture in person. The photo is focused on the wrong spot to actually see the size comparison of the two dots. The DPP is bright on the highest setting, creating, to my eyes, a slight starbust effect which makes it appear slightly larger.

• 3 weeks later...

For the folks who own a 7.5moa "delta dot"...  Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I was just looking at the 7.5 dot on Brownells and they title it as an "inscribed" reticle, which makes me suspicious that it's not a true "floating" dot like on the C-More.  Midway also lists it as an inscribed reticle.  Can anybody confirm if the "delta dot" is stationary (such as on a prism-type scope) or floats like it should on a holographic type of sight.  Thanks, J

Edited by jkrispies

On the Leupold site they say it is an "inscribed" reticle but don't offer any other information.  Could be inscribed on the LED and not the actual lense.  Probably need to ask their customer service department or someone who has one.