Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading room - house vs garage

1eyedfatman

I'm just starting to get into reloading. I bought a used Dillon 650 and sent it off last week to Dillon to get it refurbished. I'm starting to gather the other items needed. I originally thought I would build a little reloading table in the garage and setup my reloader there. But low 30's temperatures have the garage feeling like a freezer at night. And being in TX, summers will have it feeling like an oven during the day and I'll be sweating all over the place. I'm not just concerned about comfort, but also keeping a consistent temperature range for powder and the reloading process. After talking to a few guys in the shooting club, I see its pretty common for people to setup their reloading table in the house/apartment...whether that be a closet area, spare bedroom, etc. Both on solid and carpet floors. So I'm looking at setting up in a corner of our workout room which happens to be my dry fire room. :D The room is just a carpeted, upstairs empty bedroom.

I'm just wondering if I need to take any precautions? There is a closet in the room with a lock where I could store the powder and primers locked up in case a guest wonders in. Other then that, I had no special storage plans. I do have a large rubber mat which an exercise bike is sitting on which I may put under the reloading table just to put a layer between it and the carpet to make sweeping up lost particles easier and make it less likely that power would get into the carpet. I could put a little fire extinguisher in the room. I do figure that is a safer situation then a garage with a floor heater.

Edited by 1eyedfatman

I've had both garage and living area reloading spaces over the years. I prefer the living space setup by far, and for exactly the reasons you stated. Sounds like you have a good handle on locking things up to prevent unauthorized access and safety. I'd go with your plans and never look back. Enjoy!

I store powder and primers in the house (avoids temperature extremes) but have all the equipment on a bench in the garage.

I try to load up enough ammo in advance that I can wait for a nice day to load. Even though it gets hot in the summer, I open all the garage doors and keep a nice breeze running through it with a big bug blower fan. During the winter, I just wait until the temperature in the garage is tolerable.

Bill

edit to add: I only run the brass tumbler outdoors. I let a nice breeze push that air borne crap over to the neighbors.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I have my benches out in the garage. My oldest press (RL550b) has been in my garage since 2008. I live in NE Ga, and have never had issues with rust. I do keep my presses lubed, and covered. My powder/primers stay indoors.

That said I should have my new reloading shop (10x20 building) finished by mid Feb. It will be climate controlled, with a dehumidifier. I will have 16ft benches down both sides, with a short bench across the back wall. I will have cabinets on each side before the benches to store primers, powder, and bullets. This has been my long time dream to have an area dedicated to reloading, and gun smithing away from the house.

You will use it more and enjoy it more if it's in the house.

You won't mind making 20 test loads if it's convenient, no dragging components in and out.

When I first started I had my press in the garage, would wake up at 5 AM in the summer to do some reloading before it got hot. In the winter, I had to set up heaters an hour prior to reloading. Started feeling like work, moved it inside and never looked back!

Mine is inside on a hardwood floor in the breakfast nook, the best lit part of the house and the nicest view. Makes reloading much more fun. If you have it on carpet, a barrier of some sort over the carpet would be good so you don't have to vacuum spilled powder.

I load in an room just off from our living room area. It's carpeted, but I use an office chair mat like this to catch most of the crap: http://m.staples.com/touch/product.html?catname=Chair%20Mats&catid=CL70205#447139

I tumble in the garage because lead dust from tumbling is the biggest lead risk in reloading.

I don't have kids, so I store my powder and primers unsecured in my loading room.

A lot depends on your location.I have a all season conditioned shop, but living in Seattle doesn't require extremes in conditioning in either direction, hot or cold. Seeing that you're in Texas, that doesn't apply to you, I spent a bit of time In Texas courtesy of the Army so I can't imagine trying to load in an unconditioned space. Since I can load basically any time of the year, I only load as I need rounds, which means I load about a thousand a week.

A way to approach it in your situation is to calculate what amount of ammo you need and then load it during more temperate times, but load more than the 1K per week that I do.

Here are a few pictures of my shop that I can use all year long.

i-fkW5nnh.jpg

i-j4MVgCz.jpg

i-bJ29sCN.jpg

And the obligatory watchdog. :roflol:

i-hCSWXSX-XL.jpg

There is a closet in the room with a lock where I could store the powder and primers locked up in case a guest wonders in.

First you need to address your security problem. If you have 'guests' wandering in that you don't think are trustworthy, you should consider changing the locks or something.

I leave my stuff set up all the time in the spare room. Any guests that wander in are interested in shooting and smart enough to not screw with stuff unsupervised.

If your table is going to be on carpet I would suggest putting a heavy 3/4"+ sheet of plywood down first. Any give/flex in your platform could have an affect on your press and seating primers.

I disagree. After time the legs on a loading bench compress the carpet padding and sink down to better footing. A hunk of plywood keeps that from happening.

There is a closet in the room with a lock where I could store the powder and primers locked up in case a guest wonders in.

First you need to address your security problem. If you have 'guests' wandering in that you don't think are trustworthy, you should consider changing the locks or something.

I leave my stuff set up all the time in the spare room. Any guests that wander in are interested in shooting and smart enough to not screw with stuff unsupervised.

I will say security is "normal". We don't have people just wonder in that we don't know. Just seeing if precautions need to be taken for stupid stuff that may happen.