Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on a 1911

shepheard

I'm in the market for a 1911 for target shooting, maybe if I get good enough I might do some IDPA or something along those lines. I was looking at a Springfield loaded ss with adj sights. It's right in my price range for about $850. I realize these aren't custom built hand fitted guns but will they last in the long run? What round count could I expect before something goes wrong, with the apropriate maintnence being done? I live in Kali so I'm limited by whats on our list of approved handguns. Is there some other brand or model that's in that price range that's comperable? Thanks much for any and all your input.

I'm in the market for a 1911 for target shooting, maybe if I get good enough I might do some IDPA or something along those lines. I was looking at a Springfield loaded ss with adj sights. It's right in my price range for about $850. I realize these aren't custom built hand fitted guns but will they last in the long run? What round count could I expect before something goes wrong, with the apropriate maintnence being done? I live in Kali so I'm limited by whats on our list of approved handguns. Is there some other brand or model that's in that price range that's comperable? Thanks much for any and all your input.

I would say an STI Trojan but in Cali the Springfield is probably your best bet in that price range ..

I picked up a SA loaded in October. Works great right out of the box.

I did change out the front and rear sights. THEN springs,SA mag well,

the ambi,mag catch ect ect. I think by the time I finished it I put

another $400.00 into it-stands me with tax $1,250.00. And don't

forget the hammer,trigger,sear polish feed ramp,Ti strut and cap ect

ect. BUT its what I wanted and I shoot it in UPSA SS matches. Good

Luck and have fun! :cheers:

I like the OP am looking at the same gun. My question is this. The SS version has: "Low profile adjustable rear, Dovetail front, Target". vs The parkerized:"Fixed low profile combat rear, Dovetail front, Tritium 3 dot". Is one more in tune for IDPA right out of the box? I ask because the sights seem to be one of the first mods made

Be warned on getting a 1911! Once you get one, they multiply in your safe while you're sleeping! :D

I thought on my first PISTOL forever, and after picking up a Kimber Custom II one day, I decided that's what I would get. A year later, after changing my mind a million and one times, I stuck with what I had originally decided on, a Kimber Custom II (actually the Custom Target II so I got the adjustable LPA sights) and don't think for the money that I could have made a better choice.

The thing with the Kimber pistols is that after getting past the Custom Target II in their model line up, you are basically paying for cosmetic improvements. The fit, accuracy, trigger quality, and the internals basically stay the same until you step up to the custom shop guns. But for a first 1911 for the money, IMO the Custom II is the ticket.

when i talked w/ Mr. skinner of STI a few yrs back he said because of our crazy laws, that he was not goingto be sending any more of his product into Kali...only wayto ge one is by 2 party transfer of one already in the state....next best option would be either or the springfield and kimber, both are on the 'approved' list, their base models will work, and you can upgrade parts on em as time and experience goes by...

I bought the packerized loaded for uspsa. I haven't done any mods (yet) and after 500 + rounds I couldn't be happier. I'm sure as I get deeper into the competition and my skill level improves i'll tune it some. But you really can't go wrong with a 1911. JMB was devinely inspired.

Kimber buys a lot of advertizing space, but Springfield directly supports our sport. If I ever wanted a single stack, I'd start with that thought.

Springfield should take the money they use to support our sport, and spend it on labor that knows how to build a tighter gun.

I'm glad that my American-made and manufactured Kimbers don't rattle like most of the Springers I've seen.

Nothing against Springfield, as they have some decent guns in their line, but there's a reason that there's a few hundred dollars difference between a Springer and a Kimber.

I have a Springfield Black Stainless Target that I use for L-10 and SS. It has been a great gun and I would certainly recommend it to anyone. Contrary to the previous poster, it is still very tight and accurate after over 20K rounds.

It did have one problem when the tip of the extractor broke off after about 17K rounds. I called Springfield and they had me send it in for repairs. They paid shipping both ways and had it back to me ten days later. Not only did they fix the extaractor, they replaced one other part and then completely refinished the top end to correct a finish blemish that was there when I bought the gun.

Springfields carry a life time warranty no matter whether it's the first owner or the 101st owner. Not many other gun manufacturers stand behind their products like that.

Kimber buys a lot of advertizing space, but Springfield directly supports our sport. If I ever wanted a single stack, I'd start with that thought.

Springfield should take the money they use to support our sport, and spend it on labor that knows how to build a tighter gun.

I'm glad that my American-made and manufactured Kimbers don't rattle like most of the Springers I've seen.

Nothing against Springfield, as they have some decent guns in their line, but there's a reason that there's a few hundred dollars difference between a Springer and a Kimber.

When match sponsors have contacted Kimber about some prize table fodder ya know what they got.....catalogs...YEA!!! I get to look at stuff I can buy dry.gif

Take that 200$ cheaper Springer and buy ammo and shoot it. If it doesn't work send it to Springfield and they WILL fix it, and typically very fast. Plus you don't have to deal with extra safeties and you can have a gun from a company that actually wants to help us instead of just buying advertising in another magazine. Not knocking Kimber....just their business practices and extra parts the 1911 doesn't need. I've won a lot of matches with my "rattling" loaded model. Nothing wrong with a rattling 1911 as long as it shoots well. If you want a tight gun then pay for it. I prefer one that works and is accurate.

There is probably also a reason why the store I worked at shipped back Kimbers twice as often as we shipped back SA's, when we sold 3x more SA's than Kimbers.

There is also probably a reason why we had to stop being a stocking Master Dealer for them for a number of years.

I'm glad your Kimber runs well, but I would put money on a SA working out of the box on a higher % basis than I would a Kimber.

Why do you figure Kimber couldn't build a pistol to the FBI's HRT specs, while SA could? I think SA knows how to build a pretty good 1911...

Well I took a turn in a different direction and ordered a Dan Wesson PM 7. I've heard great things about them and decided to buy one. I've been going back and forth researching different 1911's. DW was on the top of my list but funds didn't allow it. Oh well, buy once cry once.

There is probably also a reason why the store I worked at shipped back Kimbers twice as often as we shipped back SA's, when we sold 3x more SA's than Kimbers.

There is also probably a reason why we had to stop being a stocking Master Dealer for them for a number of years.

I'm glad your Kimber runs well, but I would put money on a SA working out of the box on a higher % basis than I would a Kimber.

Why do you figure Kimber couldn't build a pistol to the FBI's HRT specs, while SA could? I think SA knows how to build a pretty good 1911...

I'm glad the government thinks SA builds a better gun than Kimber, using substandard ammo and then complaining about accuracy doesn't seem to be a good practice to me.

My Kimbers are night and day better than anything on the market in their price range. New Kimbers, I concede, are not.

Nothing wrong with my Springfield Trophy Match. As for tightness of frame fit, I doubt there is any Kimber as good or better! And, as it is, I own 1 Colt, 1 STI, the rest is all Springfields.

I know I like mine......I would post a pic but I've put it on damn near every thread on this forum lol. My TRP is a little tighter but they both shoot great! Ok I can't resist lol

IMG_1318.jpg

And the HD gun:

SANY0003.jpg

Edited by steel1212

Well I took a turn in a different direction and ordered a Dan Wesson PM 7. I've heard great things about them and decided to buy one. I've been going back and forth researching different 1911's. DW was on the top of my list but funds didn't allow it. Oh well, buy once cry once.

Good Choice :D. :cheers: