Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B sanity check

I've read just about everything I can find to read on the Dillon presses. I've narrowed down to either the 650 or the 550. Based on BE's recommendation/write up, I should go with the 550 as I'll only be loading about 1k rounds before changing calibers (9mm to .40). However, I like the added functionality of the auto index and powder check die of the 650. Read the thread on this topic, some say yeah other nah and I doubt that will change with my questions.

Question 1: On a 550, is it realistic to expect 500 rounds per hours manually feeding cases, bullets, and manually indexing the press?

Question 2: How much simpler is it to change over the 550 vs 650 in time...30 minutes, 1 hour, etc

Question 3: Does my basic set up sound right; 550 press with conversion kit 9mm, Strong mount, 4 extra small primer tubes, spare parts kit, standard caliber conversion for .40, tool head for .40 dies, alum roller handle, powder die. Will use Lee dies, 4 pc set as I already have the dies. Should come in about $625 + shipping. Am I missing anything needed to set up and load for the 9mm and .40?

Question 4: Expecting that my wife and I will be running through roughly 1,200 per month (600ea 9mm $ .40). Will I be disappointed that I didn't save up the extra ~$450 and get the xl 650 with case feed and powder check die?

Thanks for any input.

Gary

I've read just about everything I can find to read on the Dillon presses. I've narrowed down to either the 650 or the 550. Based on BE's recommendation/write up, I should go with the 550 as I'll only be loading about 1k rounds before changing calibers (9mm to .40). However, I like the added functionality of the auto index and powder check die of the 650. Read the thread on this topic, some say yeah other nah and I doubt that will change with my questions.

Question 1: On a 550, is it realistic to expect 500 rounds per hours manually feeding cases, bullets, and manually indexing the press?

Question 2: How much simpler is it to change over the 550 vs 650 in time...30 minutes, 1 hour, etc

Question 3: Does my basic set up sound right; 550 press with conversion kit 9mm, Strong mount, 4 extra small primer tubes, spare parts kit, standard caliber conversion for .40, tool head for .40 dies, alum roller handle, powder die. Will use Lee dies, 4 pc set as I already have the dies. Should come in about $625 + shipping. Am I missing anything needed to set up and load for the 9mm and .40?

Question 4: Expecting that my wife and I will be running through roughly 1,200 per month (600ea 9mm $ .40). Will I be disappointed that I didn't save up the extra ~$450 and get the xl 650 with case feed and powder check die?

Thanks for any input.

Gary

I load on a 550 I prefer a manual index and I can load about 400 rds per hour with out a case feeder(100rds every 15min).Add a case feeder and that should go up a little bit.(this is after the machine is set up,primers in tubes,powder weighed ...) It only takes me 10 min to convert to a different caliber. For a first time reloader I would also recommend the 550. I don't think you will be disappointed with a 550 purchase.

The change out times for the 550 and 650 are comparable, both take me about 10 minutes. If i have to change to the large primer system, it will add another 15 minutes, less so for the 550.

If you are shooting the 1200 rounds per month you say, the 550 should work just fine. If you increase that to 2K i'd get the 650 with the case feeder.

Will you just be shooting 9mm?

I have both of these units, they work great. Get plenty of primer tubes.

I have always been happy w/ my 550b...no nned or want to upgrade as it were to more rounds per hour, as I am strange in that, reloadingfor me, is not tedious, its a form of relaxation, as for keeping up your wife's 'habit' of 1200 rds per month??? do a couple hundred a night, and it doesnt seem as daunting or painfull to do as it does all in one sitting....yeas....extra primer tubes to keep things rolling along smoothly

My best suggestion is to Give Brian Enos a call and talk through it with him. :D

Personally:

If you are mechanically inclined OR have a friend with a 650 that can help you set it up, with the volume you are talking about the 650 with auto indexing AND especially the 650's case feeder option would be really really nice.

I would not recommend a 650, and proper setup of it, to a first time reloader without someone handy that "knows what they are doing" to help out. It is a pretty complex system. It is not impossible for a first time reloader to set up a 650 but there is going to be a pretty steep learning curve without assistance of a person standing physically next to you that has set one up before.

Have you considered a Square deal B? It has auto indexing as well.

As a point of reference, I have a 550B and shoot ~800 rounds a month. If I sit down and load up 300 a night for a week I am set for a while but the thumb I use to index the press to the next stage is a bit sore for a while. I also STRONGLY recommend the roller handle no matter what press you go with. It helps speed you up and reduce stress on your wrist and arm. Friend of mine has a 650 with a case feeder and he shoots at least 1600 rounds a month and it takes him about half the time it takes me to churn out the same amount of rounds.

Really the benefit of a 650 over a 550 will be that you spend less time loading ammo with a 650 than a 550. I have a 550 and it works great, quick to change calibers and runs like a champ, but it is slower than a 650 or 1050. So the real question is how much is your time worth.

The 550 will retain value well and is a good press for a first timer to learn on, but I generally subscribe to the only cry once theory, buy the best machine you can the first time and don't look back. I wish I had a 1050 so I wouldn't have to spend so much time loading, but haven't pulled the trigger on a 1050 yet.

To clarify, the ~1200 per month would be about 50% split in 9mm and .40

I considered the SDB but kind of ruled it out due to not having much more output than the 550 and the more expensive caliber cahnge (buying new dies and all that).

Not new to reloading, I've been loading low volume on a turret style press for several years. Just don't have the time to dedicate at 150 rounds and hour.

I am really glad to see all the support for the 550b. I love mine. I can easily do 400 per hour as bkeeler stated. Get the extra tubes you mentioned and load them up ahead of time and you hardly skip a beat in the reloading session. Were I live it slows down in the winter as far as shooting goes so I reload alot in the winter. I can really stay ahead of the game that way.

I think too many people get talked into the 650 personally. Yes, it is a great machine, I would never knock a dillon press or anothers opinion of one. But the 650 is really a lot of machine when you hook up a case feeder. I know a guy who just had to have one after he checked into a 550. He does not load nearly as much as he led himself to believe. It sits in his garage for months on end without being used. :wacko:

I have a powder check on my 550b. I use my eyes to glance into the case as I sit a bullet in place. I like to look at each piece of brass as I sit it on the plate.

I have never used an SDB but I have heard some say it is pretty cramped due to its smaller size. But I really don't know for sure if that is the case.

Yes, get the strong mount, roller handle, etc. Great add ons.

I think you will be very happy with a 550b package from Brian.

Why buy a Corolla when the Lexus is there? I firmly believe that the XL650 is the way to go, first because just one double charge could cost you twice as much as the loader and 10 times the differece in the price of the two. If you really think you will never need or want a case feeder then get the Hornady LNL, its a very good press and auto index, loads everything and is the fastest caliber change of any auto index press. LNL is simple to set up simple to use and simple to maintain. No need for parts kit with a LNL, also life time no questions asked warranty.

I load about 1,000 rounds in a batch, I have two presses with case feeders, Horandy LNL and Dillon XL650. The Dillon is doing 38 SC most of the time, the Hornady is running 9 mm currently. I had 3 presses for a while, I sold one of the XL650's. Get the parts kit it is nice to have it, rather than wait on parts. I don't have the strong mount and don't want one, I have a roller handle some where just didn't like it. I have the powder check in a drawer somewhere.

A friend of mine can load 500 an hour on a 550 he is a GM and he loads as fast as he shoots can't see the hands moving. At the range most of the Squibs I have seen have come off of 550 loaders and not 650's. A lot of high primers come off of XL650's but I have not had any issues as I learned on the LNL and I send them all the way home.

Most of your time spent is putting the brass in and the bullet, with the 550 it is a 2 handed operation with the right doing the brass and the left doing the bullet, the LNL is one handed bullet and brass with the left right stays on the ram. With a case feeder you grab a hand full of bullets poke a bullet pull the ram much faster. Both are operator errors, but we all make mistakes we just need to do what we can to minimize them.

I realize it is just my opinion, but I would rather load on an SDB than a 550. The manual indexing on the 550 can cause you to double charge a case if you aren't paying attention. I agree the cost of the caliber change over is a little high but by the time you buy a tool head and high quality dies for the 550, you will spend almost as much. Change over time for a SDB is only 10 minutes or so once you do it one time. For about the same price as a 650 and dies, you could buy 2 SDB's and have one dedicated to each caliber and not have to change over anything. I have 1 SDB set up for .45 ACP and one for 9mm. I just set down and load without having to do anything. As far as the comment about the SDB being small and cramped, I don't find that to be true at all. They are compact but very easy to use and see what is going on.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that you can now get the casefeeder for the 550.

Why get a Corolla when a Lexus is available? Well, both will get you there and some of us have no need for a backup camera in the rear bumper. The 550B is a wonderful press and you can turn out fine ammunition at a very solid rate. Usually I shoot about 800 rounds a month and easily load up on the few days a month that I am home.

The 550 is the best press Dillon makes and EVERYONE should have one, even if you also have something fancier.

I get 300rds/hr out of mine, including filling primer tubes. Loading for 2 hours of weekend radio shows each week gives me more ammo than my wife and I can shoot.

I've read just about everything I can find to read on the Dillon presses. I've narrowed down to either the 650 or the 550. Based on BE's recommendation/write up, I should go with the 550 as I'll only be loading about 1k rounds before changing calibers (9mm to .40). However, I like the added functionality of the auto index and powder check die of the 650.

If I has a nickel for every time I've heard that on the phone, I'd be rich. ;)

Thanks for any input.

Gary

1. Yes - 4-500 no problemo, after some time pulling the handle.

3. Orders over $400 from me ship for free.

4. 1200 rounds/month max - no.

Back to my first comment, when I was sponsored by Dillon and they gave me Powder Check System, I never even took them out of the bag. Just one more thing to fiddle with, not only every time you change calibers but every time you change a load's powder charge.

You should teach yourself to look right in the case as you are setting the bullet on. A double charge or no charge are all you care about, and both are vary obvious.

You might not believe how many experienced Dillon customer's - who own a 550 and a 650/1050 - I've heard say on the phone - I love that the 550 does not auto-index. W/o a Casefeeder, auto-indexing doesn't slow down a loading cycle at all, and, the ability to flip the Shellplate in any direction at any time is a handy feature. Especially with 9mm, since you control the index speed, you can eliminate power spillage casued by the 650's auto-indexing/snapping the case to a stop.

be

Toll free: 877 219-5598

I would have got a 550b as Brian suggested. But couldn't pass on the deal of a complete 650 w/ Casefeed. Hoping to shoot lots when my Limited is paid off. Now I just purchased a Rockchucker to load for my .308 Rem.

It is easy to fool yourself into "needing" a 650. I started with a 450, upgraded it to a 550, then sold it and got a 650 with case feeder, powder check, etc. I just sold it and I am going back to a 550. The 650 is a bit faster, but like many others have said I tend to load a few hundred rounds at a time rather than thousands. I think the 550 "keeps my head in the game" better, which is a good thing when reloading. I also want to inspect each piece of brass again as I place it on the reloader. I had a case head seperation and don't want another one! Ever! Loading the hopper takes that step out of the process. I think that there is something to be said for the simplicity of design of the 550 and the compact space it requires.

My bench is blessed with 2 650's, a 550b, A lyman Spar-T and a RCBS Jr.

The 650's are set up one for large & one for small primers, so I don't have to change out the priming system. I find it a PITA to change. :angry2:

When I am loading my SASS 45 Schofield rds I use the 650 set up for that caliber, the same when I am loading for IDPA with the other 650 set up for .40 S&W

All the other pistol rounds .45 ACP, 44 Mag, 44 Special, 41 Mag get loaded on the 550b (up graded from the orginial 450 purchased years ago) as I only load about 500-700 rds a year in each of those calibers

The Spar -t and the RCBS Jr are used to load rifle rounds , 223, 308, 30-06, 32-40 Etc.

Based on using me using Dillons since the early 80's I normally recommend the 550B unless the reloader is going to load a LOT of ammo.

In the late 80's I was loading around 50,000-52,000 rds a year, in .357 for CAS shooting (using around 1000 rds a week in practice) :surprise: and they were loaded on a Dillon 450 then it was up graded to a 550. When the 650 came out I purchase one around 1992 and the other one in 2006 and kept the 550.

If any of them had to go, for whatever reason I would hang on to the 550b and it doesn't have the case feeder.

I haven't had to replace any parts YET for the 550B and I have replaced several parts on the 650.

Easy done with Dillon's NO BS warranty

Edited by Beans

Thanks for the feedback from all.

I settled on the 550B, and in fact, just placed my order though BE's site. A nice expereince and I found all the info there to be clear and presented nicely. THe Caliber conversion cross reference came in very handy and saved me about $30 in unneeded/duplicate parts.

Looking forward to getting it all set up. When I do, I'll have to post up a few picks of the reloading station.

Gary

Thanks for the feedback from all.

I settled on the 550B, and in fact, just placed my order though BE's site. A nice expereince and I found all the info there to be clear and presented nicely. THe Caliber conversion cross reference came in very handy and saved me about $30 in unneeded/duplicate parts.

Looking forward to getting it all set up. When I do, I'll have to post up a few picks of the reloading station.

Gary

dont look at it as "settling" for the 550. its a great machine and you will love it. I will never get rid of mine. Only reason i have a 650 is ebay had the 35% cashback going on last year, and i just couldnt turn down a 650 for $330:D. But the 550 would have been just fine.

Poor choice of words on my part. I 'settled' as in made up my mind...not decided I could make this press work instaed of getting the 650. I think the 550 will serve every need I have and provide the dependability I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input guys. BE, look forward to a delivery. Hopefully it'll come in in time for me to set it up and crank out 3-400 before the match in 10 days.

How lond does the drop shipment usually take? Rough guess will work.

How lond does the drop shipment usually take? Rough guess will work.

No longer than if the order was placed with Dillon. Which means it would have shipped today. AZ to your shipping address is approx. 4 biz days, Fedex Ground service.

And note that Fedex ground to residential address - delviery on Saturday but not on Monday. So if you get real lucky it will arrive Saturday. Otherwise, Tueday.

Email me if you need a tracking number for it.

support@brianenos.com

be

The 550 is the best press Dillon makes and EVERYONE should have one, even if you also have something fancier.

I get 300rds/hr out of mine, including filling primer tubes. Loading for 2 hours of weekend radio shows each week gives me more ammo than my wife and I can shoot.

Love my 550 and a lot of the set up stuff (primer tubes, etc), are the slowest part in my process (and are a part of any press you use), once ready to go, easily get 500/hr. I don't want to go much more than that, as I lose focus.

I'm not sure why Brian doesn't have it on his web site, but he made a reloading video for McGill that has a lot of good tips on setting up and running a Dillon press. It was made using a 650 but the info on how to set up the dies is extremely helpful.