Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Type of shells for 3 gun

npolley

Depends on the match and how it is set up. All of the above and lots of bird shot normally. Most targets will be shot with bird and every once in a while you need slugs and/or buckshot. Mostly bird though. Most common is probably 7 1/2 with some larger shot occasionally at distant or harder to knock down steel or such.

If there's stuff thats hard to knock down I use the hotter winchester black box trap loads, I use walmart value pack for most practice & sometimes matches. I work with 7 1/2 - 9 shot. 1 1/8oz shot - 7/8 oz.

Most ranges will require #4 or smaller birdshot for clays and steel, and slugs for paper targets.

If looking for some 3-gun matches near you please try www.orpci.org This the Owensboro Rifle and Pistol Club. We try to do 4 to 5 3-gun matches a year and 9 monthly USPSA pistol matches. You can contact me for more info.

the rules for the Blue ridge mountain 3gun states:

4.4 Shotgun ammunition shall be 20 gauge or larger, LEAD SHOT & SLUGS ONLY.

so for most competitions do they require both types of shell?

what do people bring with them for a regular competition????????????

At the Blue Ridge last year it was about 150+ rounds of birdshot and maybe 20 slugs. The rules state "lead shot and slugs only" because steel shot tears up targets and has a better chance of bouncing back at the shooter.

At the 3 gun matches at Owensboro, it's usually 50-75 rounds of bird and maybe every-other match 6 slugs. I've never used Buck in the matches at Owensboro.

I usually take twice the amount needed of #7 1/2 or #8 shells and a box of heavy #6 in case there are some far steel targets. Come out to the Owensboro matches this year, Gary Welborn always has fun stages.

Edited by Bryan 45

The rules state "lead shot and slugs only" because steel shot tears up targets and has a better chance of bouncing back at the shooter.

More like a 100% chance!

I use the cheap walmart Federal, either 71/2 or 8 depending on what they have. For slugs I use Brenneke reduced recoil. Most slugs come in a reduced recoil version and I reccomend them as full power will beat you up if there is a long slug stage.

I use 3 dram, 1 1/8, #9 for nearly everything not requiring buck or slugs. I started using #9 shot after I shot a match that had a lot of charcoal briquettes as targets and I know that I centered some those in my pattern of 7.5s without hitting. I've found that the #9 takes down steel just as well as heavier shot sizes. It's the amount (mass) of shot that hits that counts, not the size of the individual pellets. If I can't find 9, I buy 8s.

And, I use IC choke for everything.

OTOH, I'm not a national champion, either!

At the Blue Ridge last year it was about 150+ rounds of birdshot and maybe 20 slugs. The rules state "lead shot and slugs only" because steel shot tears up targets and has a better chance of bouncing back at the shooter.

Locally we typically fire buck at paper targets --- which hold up better if there's a plywood backer screwed to the target sticks....

I always liked the walmart federal 4 pack at walmart for a good cheap shell. I have found the of the bulk packs, the federals run the best

Agreed here. These cycle my gun very reliably and have enough power to knock down the steel at our matches.

The rules state "lead shot and slugs only" because steel shot tears up targets and has a better chance of bouncing back at the shooter.

More like a 100% chance!

I use the cheap walmart Federal, either 71/2 or 8 depending on what they have. For slugs I use Brenneke reduced recoil. Most slugs come in a reduced recoil version and I reccomend them as full power will beat you up if there is a long slug stage.

Where did you find Brenneke, reduced recoil slugs? I USED to run them, but, had to switch to Remington because I couldn't find a source for the Brennekes.

More like a 100% chance!

Where did you find Brenneke, reduced recoil slugs? I USED to run them, but, had to switch to Remington because I couldn't find a source for the Brennekes.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.ph...626_14517_15439

More like a 100% chance!

Get mine from Scottsdale gun club in Phoenix. Not sure if he ships. I pick them up when I am in town.

Bird shoot: Estate 7 1/2 3 Dram

always have a box of #6 heavys near by for those long steel shots

as well as a few boxes of Spreaders . . .just in case a short range double clay opertunity pops up

Slugs: Winchester Rangers Low recoil

00 buck: Federal 12 pellet magnums . . . . see MGM has these Double spiners

mostly I run an IM choke

Federal from wally world in 3 dram 7.5. Estates 7.5 3 dram Ranger Lo Recoil buck and slugs from Winchester. I always have some 3" buck just in case, along with some spreaders.

Almost always a IC choke

Edited by cksh8me

I've played around with varius shot sizes in the last couple years, but now I just stick to #7.5 for everything. In the past I never went to a match without spreaders, heavy #4, and 00 buck (if allowed) tucked away in my range bag. What I found was that I rarely needed to make a change, and if I did, sticking with #7.5 and just swiching to a tighter or more open choke did the trick. For me, this just simplifies things.

RZ

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing to keep in mind, if you're shooting an autoloader (which you probably are), keeping the load to the minimum while still being reliable would be a good idea. At my first three gun shoot, I borrowed my friend's M2 Tactical and having no idea how many shots we were going to be firing that day, brought along a whole bunch of Winchester 3" High Brass Game Loads. Just plain stupid and the first stage was a shotgun hoser stage with birds. :blink:

• 5 months later...