Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corey's road to success

Corey

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Worked on my press tonight. Made some loads with N320 to try them out. Adjusted the seating die a bit to see if that helps. gonna do a little testing Thursday after work. Got some new springs coming in this week as well to get the mainspring of the Spartan back up to a 19#. Should fix the random light strike issue. Sunday is the Warsaw match and we'll see if my stuff can run for a whole day without puking on me. I want to get this sorted out soon so I can forget about gear and focus on improving myself for the Nationals.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like to me you have a combination of not enough crimp, and maybe some high primers. When I ran a .45 I used a 19# MS. Springfields use a 38 super FP hole so I also ran a hyper drive FP. As for the crimp, do they case gauge, if so do they barrel gauge?

everything is case gauging fine, have not run them through the barrel. While its torn down, I def will to verify. The light strikes didnt start until i replaced the MS with a 17#er so i think the 19 will do the trick.

Its the feeding that worries me. This week will most certainly be testing week leading up to Sunday.

Geeeze Louise ....... fix whatever is wrong with that gun! :surprise:

In competition it's bad news to have 1 jam PER MATCH .......... but you had 12. That's an average of 1.3 per stage.

I'd listen to Corey and check your crimp. If you're running a 17 in your MS, get rid of that too. I dont even run a 17 with a finely tuned race gun. Springs are cheap, but jams are expensive. If you consider that on average a major match .... even a nearby state match can run you anywhere from $150 to $500 for an Area match trip, I like to be damn sure I dont come home with a loss due to some $6.00 spring biting me in the ass.

+1 with heavier MS. I replaced my 17# MS with a 19#. That's in my race gun! Now maybe I could have went 18, but I couldn't find one at the time. I had a thread on here some time ago and I think it upped my trigger 1/4 pound.

What did I gain? Absolutely everything I load goes BANG, no matter what primer I use.

I fought gun problems on and off and that just sucks.

Warsaw will be a good, very good, local to test your loads. See you there!

Corey> Quite a few of those stages had a lot of pure running time. You need to work on really hauling ass when all there is to do is run. You wasted multiple seconds on some stages simply because you giving the running a half ass effort. Minimize the shooting down time by hauling ass when you need to.

Corey> Quite a few of those stages had a lot of pure running time. You need to work on really hauling ass when all there is to do is run. You wasted multiple seconds on some stages simply because you giving the running a half ass effort. Minimize the shooting down time by hauling ass when you need to.

When I was actually shooting, I felt like i was moving well. Watching the video i realized how slow I was actually moving! Definitely something I noticed as well that I can make up some easy time getting into/ out of positions faster and just plaing getting from A to B faster (sooner). I've started working on being more explosive in my early movements during dyrfire and its something Ill keep in mind this weekend at the next match.

Thanks for the input! :cheers:

Warsaw match today. Things are getting better but not good. Only 3 of the 5 stages had gun/ammo issues. At least the classifier was 1 of the 2 that my gear ran smooth on. Bobbled the reload a bit and a couple extra shots on steel cost me, but running with all As certainly helped. Looks to be a ~77% on Hillbiliton Drill, felt pretty good about that run, yet i KNOW I could have been in the 80s with it easily.

I had re-worked the ammo a bit this week, tightened up the crimp to .470ish and ran 150 rounds through the gun Thursday night w/o a hitch at all. 3rd round today and the gun hiccupped as normal :sick: .

Going to tighten the crimp again (felt like a really sharp edge on the brass as opposed to a "smoother" feel of Jake's ammo). I tweaked the crimp die this afternoon and will run some more ammo for the Fort Wayne match next weekend. Unfortunately, its going to be a total crap shoot as I am going out of town for work this week and will have ZERO time to test anything before next Sunday.

I just want my stuff to run... :(

Warsaw match today. Things are getting better but not good. Only 3 of the 5 stages had gun/ammo issues. At least the classifier was 1 of the 2 that my gear ran smooth on. Bobbled the reload a bit and a couple extra shots on steel cost me, but running with all As certainly helped. Looks to be a ~77% on Hillbiliton Drill, felt pretty good about that run, yet i KNOW I could have been in the 80s with it easily.

I had re-worked the ammo a bit this week, tightened up the crimp to .470ish and ran 150 rounds through the gun Thursday night w/o a hitch at all. 3rd round today and the gun hiccupped as normal :sick: .

Going to tighten the crimp again (felt like a really sharp edge on the brass as opposed to a "smoother" feel of Jake's ammo). I tweaked the crimp die this afternoon and will run some more ammo for the Fort Wayne match next weekend. Unfortunately, its going to be a total crap shoot as I am going out of town for work this week and will have ZERO time to test anything before next Sunday.

I just want my stuff to run... :(

did you change the MS?

Upped the mainspring back to a 19# and every round that made it to the chamber went bang. The light strikes are gone. The problem now is getting every round actually INTO the chamber. Compared ammo with Jake (also shooting a 200 gr SWC) and the edges of my brass def felt sharper than his. Looks like i need to tighten the crimp up a bit more.

A couple years ago I went to a Lee Factory Crimp die.

Whatever feeding problems I had in a Kimber and in a Smith 625 went away.

Lotsa folks don't like them but they really make a round easy to chamber.

Guess there isn't a reason to hurry home from Iowa this weekend as the FW match got cancelled. Ill probably head out to the range anyway, want to test some new loads for feeding (altho the last time I tested ammo it was fine until match day). Planning on taking a bunch of the old ammo with me too. Going to try to make it a round count practice day. See if i cant work in the Spartan a bit more and hopefully get my ammo issued worked out.

Guess there isn't a reason to hurry home from Iowa this weekend as the FW match got cancelled. Ill probably head out to the range anyway, want to test some new loads for feeding (altho the last time I tested ammo it was fine until match day). Planning on taking a bunch of the old ammo with me too. Going to try to make it a round count practice day. See if i cant work in the Spartan a bit more and hopefully get my ammo issued worked out.

Pick a certain skill and work on it. While your testing that skill check your ammo at the same time. Make it a worth while range day instead of just blasting ammo. :cheers:

I've heard that a gun shouldn't be hard chromed until it has had the piss shot out of it. So I'm asking, does anyone think this could be the cause of any of Corey's gun issues? I think his gun was hard chromed as brand new from the factory.

I'm just asking, I want him up and running flawless. I don't know too much about this stuff, but wondered that some of you guys would.

WVPPS is not far out of the way! If you don't have the gear with you we can loan you some.

The hard chrome thing was something that Mike Foley thought could be the problem at the Wabash Valley Open. And I did too until the same type of problem starting occuring with my SS gun from last year when I switched to it at the BITB.

That takes care of that issue, and that's actually a good thing. Seems like it has to be the "rounds" then. I should have known that you knew about the "hard chrome" thing and already checked it off the list. Are you going to Riley?

Welp, Ive been spending the last week or so at the reloading bench and at the range. After the last Warsaw match it was brought to my attention that the edge of the brass was very "sharp" even though a good crimp on it (.469). I tweaked some things, tightened the crimp a bit and re-tested. Same problems :( Can NOT get the round to feed. Spent some at the range investigating the jams at the range and it seems that its the bullet reaching the top of the ramp and not making the jump to the barrel to feed. Then an idea swells over me...

I have a few hundred 200 gr Rainier Round Nose bullets on my bench. Lets try those. First 100 go off without a single hitch. Good start. I load up some more and head back to the range. 200 more and things are feeding super smooth. When racking dummy rounds and shooting live, the slide feels MUCH smoother and its moving much better (even though the rails are still pretty tight). At this point I decide to keep this up and see if problems arise with a dirty gun (i was able to shoot a stage or two and then have to clean it to get it to run-and even then it wouldnt sometimes). Im now 650 rounds without cleaning it at all and every round is feeding like glass.

I went back out today and did a little test. I shot 2 mags of my old SWC ammo....2 jams. I then shot 150 rounds of my new RN ammo and its perfect!

I'm shooting RN bullets for the next month until the switch to Limited after the OH Sectional.

Need to do some chrono testing now to make sure I'm good for making major, but it appears the OAL and the RN bullet has corrected my feeding issues (altho it has not been "match" tested-that will happen at the classifier match May 1st). With the gun feeding smooth and the light strikes GONE I can finally get back to focusing on shooting. :cheers: