Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corey's road to success

Corey

Glad you had a good first match for the season Corey.

Q: Was it really an accuracy problem or focus problem? I'm just recalling that major at Niles last fall and the star that wouldn't die until you started focusing on that front sight.

Wasn't there, so just food for thought.

-rvb

Hey, I thought you looked good.

keep that kind of talk off the public forum, thanks!

-rvb

:roflol:

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

valid point Ryan, and i think a little bit of both. The missed headshot was the in the first array of the match, so it could have jitters, rust, lack of focus. I started seeing the front sight on the on the classifier and felt like i did a good job seeing it on the final stage. but yea, i gotta keep track of that lil guy, especially on stars :roflol:

hey forward me the scores, I have yet to see them anywhere. I wanna know how bad I fudged up that RO-fail induced reshoot on stage 3. Sucks when shits not in the same place, and you dont have the same shots and 0 time to do a walk thru to figure something new out.... oh well, nature of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Scores from last amtch are finally up on USPSA. Classifier wont help me (didnty think it would with a M in there somewhere. I knew I had won my division (with 7 people in it), and I actually ended up winng all 3 stages by a decent margin, so that makes me feel good.

Had a half day at work yesterday so i got some rifle brass prep done and plenty of dryfire. I set up a "mini-stage" in my living room yesterday and ran a few different combos. Its just a big box that unfolds to about 6 feet wide and about 7 feet tall. i have some ports cut in it for windows and just ran various combos on my dryfire targets. turning draws, shooting thru ports and reloading to another one, shooting around both sides, etc etc. actually worked up a nice sweat while doing it. reloads with my new Wilson mags seem a lot easier than the CMC i used last year. I dont know if they are just a pinch longer or maybe a bit more room internally, but a lot of the reload problems I had last year havent creeped up on me yet (knock on wood).

Also got out the borrowed 11-87 for some shotgun reload practice. I'm not sure if ill be using it at an upcoming 3gun match or using a buddy's 930, but i wanted to get back into the swing of things with the shotgun. spent about 30 mionutes working the weakhand reload. while not terribly fast, Im now able to load 4 shells without having to depress that little lifter button each time. I get it hit once and Im able to hold it up and feed in the next 3 shells. I really want to buy a new shotgun soon, but im not sure if i want to get a stock 930 and do some barrel and receiver work or wait until the "competition versions" are released from mossberg (could be awhile). then again, Id really love a nice benelli M2, but they do not come cheap obviously. lots of options to weigh there, but id like to get practiced up for the some local 3gun matches as well as the Rockcastle 3GN match in August :cheers:

plenty more dryfire to come with a match in 2 weeks. going to for another division win. B)

Took a drive out to my FFL yesterday morning to pick up a new toy B) . My Dawsonized Spartan came in and all I can say is WOW! I made a couple of small cosmetic changes to it, new grips and a new mag release button to match my other SS gun and also match up the color scheme of the gun. Planning on starting dryfire with it tonight to get used to the new sight picture as I had some shotgun shooting to do yesterday for my winter league. Huge difference there from the factory sights on my Colt. I think I'm really going to like it!

Speaking of the shotgun league, had a pretty good day there with 19, 19, and 20 on the skeet fields and a 20, 21, and 23 on the trap range. Only have a couple weeks left to find that elusive 25 I've been looking for.

And on another shotgun idea...Im really wanting a new shotgun for 3gun but am tearing myself apart not knowing what to get. i like the idea of a 930 with a couple of mods being pretty competitive. But id hate to buy a stock one and then have Moss come out with a "factory competition" version. I'd also obviously love a nice benelli, but i dont know if I can swing the money for one. :unsure:

B)

IMG_1030.jpg

Oh, I think she'll do ok ;)

Gonna try to get out to the range one day this week while the weather is semi-warm and put a few rounds down range. Plus a little shooting at an RO class and then hopefully the following weekend, it should be ready to go for the Niles match end of the month.

Got to put 12 rounds through the Spartan at my RO class this past weekend. That was a good time. Learned a ton and looking forward to working some matches now. I can't decide if I want to shoot the Niles match next weekend or head down to ACC for a classifier match. If the weather is decent I want to shoot outside! Then I'll really be able to test my new toy. In the meantime, gonna try to hit the range one day after work this week and do some timing drills and verify its sighted in where I need it. :blush:

First outdoor match of the season!!! Special classifier match at Atlanta Conservation Club with 6 classifiers. Opted to not shoot the the 2 "field" courses as all I had was the $20 for the classifiers. Shot 6 stages, tanked one a couple of NS hits, but shot the other 5 clean. All low-mid B scores in L-10 with my Single Stack gear, so that will bump that up to B class. Now I'm B in Single Stack and L-10, and I think I will continue to shoot both on the classifier stages for the first part of this year.

New Spartan ran like a champ today! :cheers: I was able to see the front sight really well, but I did catch myself looking for holes a time or two and I'm sure it slowed me down some. I was able to call some shots (not perfect but more like (pushed that slightly left but its on the paper-and sure enough there was the hole left D zone). Lot of VC stages so I didn't think trying to make them up would help any.

3-gun match next week at Wildcat...hopefully the weather holds out for us! Time to go get the AR zero verified. Looking forward to playing with some different shotguns to get a better idea of what I want. :sight:

Shot a 3-gun match at qwildcat valley this past weekend. Great time. Pretty low pistol rounds count, but some good shotgun and rifle fun. Had shotgun issues with weak Winchester loads turning it into a pump. Rifle ran like a champ both on hoser paper and distance steel. Shot out to 230yds and had the fastest time in our squad. Also went 5 for 5 on small steels out to about 100 on a different stage. Overall, Im pretty happy with my shooting (considering the troubles I had on the shotgun heavy stage). Finishing up my winter clay shooting league next weekend and then hopefully a speed shotgun match down at ACC next sunday.

Got word today that I passed my RO exam with a 100%. Looks like I know more than I thought I did :).

Going to have a shotgun filled weekend with trap/skeet league on Saturday and a speed shotgun match Sunday. Won't have the new shotgun unfortunately, but it'll be here early next week. I've been slacking on the dryfire lately with being busy at work. Time to get back at it. Two and a half weeks until the "major" season starts. Wabash Valley Open on the 27th and then the Battle In The Bluegrass the following weekend. Im wanting to come out strong.

Got word today that I passed my RO exam with a 100%. Looks like I know more than I thought I did :).

Going to have a shotgun filled weekend with trap/skeet league on Saturday and a speed shotgun match Sunday. Won't have the new shotgun unfortunately, but it'll be here early next week. I've been slacking on the dryfire lately with being busy at work. Time to get back at it. Two and a half weeks until the "major" season starts. Wabash Valley Open on the 27th and then the Battle In The Bluegrass the following weekend. Im wanting to come out strong.

It's open book. Ask nicely I will tell you how to get extra credit. :devil:

It's open book. Ask nicely I will tell you how to get extra credit. :devil:

I'm intrigued by extra credit offers, haha.

And good thinking Jake :P Just make sure you spell my name right on the SS plaque for the WVO.

Speed shotgun match today at ACC was awesome! Last day on the range for the borrowed 11-87 and it shot like a champ. I'm not sure how the scores went, but most of my runs were really good and I beat a few of the Open Saiga shooters on a couple different occasion. Ill be glad when I don't have to deal with that stupid button on the lifter anymore!

Dryfire'd the pistol for about an hour yesterday and another 45 min today after the match. 2 weeks until the WVO and I've got my eyes set on starting this season with a win.

ETA: Scores are in. Got 2nd in Standard division out of 19 shooters. 6th overall out of 30. Pretty good for my first speed shotgun match and a gun i have to fight on reloads.

With the new update, looks like I bumped my L-10 classification up to a B now. Its odd tho. I was really excited about making B in Single Stack last year and now that I did it in L-10 (with my SS gear), I just feel "ho-hum, no biggie" :mellow: . Maybe its because I expected myself to get those kind of results from the classifier match? When I first made B I didnt think I was ready to compete in that class and was nervous at first. Now I feel like I belong there (for the time being-soon to be heading upward).

It took me a couple of years being stuck in C before I mad B in Production, then I decided to shoot Lim 10 last year and made B first try at a classifier match. I felt the same way you did, kind of ho hum about it. I guess I expected making it right away. A class seems so very far away now, but reading your diary motivates me.... thanks! Dan

Corey Congrats on your new "B". My first B was Lim 10, didn't even register, now I've made B in Open what I shoot its a bigger deal. It was such a big deal when I knew it was coming I took a class with Phil Strader, I got the tools I need to work on moving on up. My stand and shoot is good but I need to get moving!

New shotgun works like a dream. Want to do some more function testing with my B&P slugs but so far so good with them and other random cheap shotshells. Been doing some reloads with it and feel a lot better with it compared to the 11-87. I think with a little practice my times will speed up dramatically. I desperately need to take a file/dremel to the loading port to open that sucker up a bit. just gotta find some good files as I dont own a dremel (yet).

Going to try to make it to the range tomorrow for a couple hundred rounds of live fire practice in preparation for the Wabash Valley Open. Planning on some draw and reload drills, definitely some weak hand shooting, and Brian's transition drill. We'll see what else I may have time for :)