Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corey's road to success

Corey

shot a classifier match at Warsaw today, opted to only shoot the 4 classifiers and not the field courses. Shot them with my SS rig twice (once as L-10) and used my buddy's LTD glock setup for a run in that division.

Why would you use a Glock for limited? Most of the classifiers are 8 round neutral anyway and you have a feel for your SS gun? I got classified in Open with my single stack and Made GM in L10 with the same gun.

Edited by steel1212

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

shot a classifier match at Warsaw today, opted to only shoot the 4 classifiers and not the field courses. Shot them with my SS rig twice (once as L-10) and used my buddy's LTD glock setup for a run in that division.

Why would you use a Glock for limited? Most of the classifiers are 8 round neutral anyway and you have a feel for your SS gun? I got classified in Open with my single stack and Made GM in L10 with the same gun.

thought id try a small change of pace. horrible idea, haha. i did do the re-run in L-10 with my SS setup tho. the only classifier that the higher cap woulda helped me in LTD was on 09-10, Life's Little Problems...and of course it jammed on me :wacko: . Not planning on touching another one in competition for awhile :sight:

Tom was talking about some 30 rounders. i know he has his "pumpkin patch" planned again. every steel plate the club has gets put out in one bay with a random popper as the ghost (and to make it a legal stage). ill post some details when i know more :cheers:

Yeah the pumpkin patch stage has been there many times and is always fun!! Phil, Brent and I are definitely coming, I'll try to talk some more into joining the ride up. Tell Tom the Peru/Warsaw contingent is gearing up!!!!!

Tom was talking about some 30 rounders. i know he has his "pumpkin patch" planned again. every steel plate the club has gets put out in one bay with a random popper as the ghost (and to make it a legal stage). ill post some details when i know more :cheers:

Yeah the pumpkin patch stage has been there many times and is always fun!! Phil, Brent and I are definitely coming, I'll try to talk some more into joining the ride up. Tell Tom the Peru/Warsaw contingent is gearing up!!!!!

good deal, i think one of the stages are going to be my creation as well :ph34r: . maybe one of the ones i posted already, maybe one that i still havent thought of yet, haha

Had a good time at the FW match. Ended up 2nd in SS, by about 50 match points. Considering I gave up over 100 points on a single stage, I should have had this one. :angry2:

I did win 2 stages, by a decent margin. They were the 2 "normal" stages, haha. the problems came on the steel with 27 steel plates and 6 poppers. The poppers were fine as normal, but the plates gave me headache. some of the shots were long and some were just simple software errors. I still dont know what it is, but I've trouble off an on all year with plates. its only the plates, not poppers of any kind. Whether its a static plate or aa star, I have trouble. I think im looking up to see if the plates goes down instead of just calling my shots by watching my sights like I should.

Saw quite a bit of the front sight on my the stage i designed and had some good hits with it. It was cool to see the sight like I did, just need to figure out a way to see that EVERYTIME :sight: . In the near future, i want to get back to the range on my own time and im going to put up about 6-10 paper plates, 6-8" in diameter. I need to get my head wrapped around the idea of find the front sight, put it on the target and press. I've gotten away from looking at the steel with poppers, just need to do the same with plates. I think it may be b/c they are small and im trying to confirm i hit that little target out there.

The local scene has pretty much wound itself up for the year (I'm gonna try to find some indoor matched this winter if they are within a decent driving distance). I'm planning tons of dryfire and airsoft training but want to get as much live fire in as I can while the weather is still nice.

Plans for next range day: paper plates to simulate steel at 15yds or so. Plenty of WHO/SHO. I need to figure out the best way for me to handle recoil and maintain trigger control one handed. I've been trying Saul Kirsch's method lately and it just seems odd and slow :mellow:, at least for me.

Just over 7 months until the SS Nationals. I really want to try to go to this match and I'm planning on being ready should a slot come my way! :goof:

Yeah, I got it. When I looked last night, FWAPS didn't have a single match even listed. I thought maybe they were using emails and lost mine. Thanks, and good job, I thought that was an excellent match. I hope they continue to put matches on of that caliber and get their attendance back up to what it use to be. You know, even without the fancy "stars" and "windmills" that would have been a great match.

Some clubs ask for volunteers to do just a stage for certain months. Then they post the entire schedule for the season. How does FWAPS determine who is setting up stages? It would be hard for me to get up there on a Saturday, but I might be able to do something on Sunday morning. I love FWAPS's bays, you can get some long shots and I'd definitely use that.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed a new SVI ITS trigger with short flat insert in my SS gun last night. holy crap was that that a longer process than I thought! feels good to know i was able to fit it in there myself tho. clean spacing for the magazine and a smooth front to back slide. I had to file what i thought was quite a bit off but got it to work. From just the few minutes of dryfiring it at midnight last night when i got it finished, i think im really going to like it! As soon as my arm quits throbbing from the pain of spliting wood the other day i plan to get back into my dryfire routines after a couple weeks off.

• 1 month later...

Got back to dryfiring today. Bout an hour and half working on getting myself back up to speed. Few weeks off really developed some rust on my skills. first few draws were pretty ugly, haha. but things smoothed pretty quick. went through Steve Anderson's dryfire book and just did a few from each page. I got word the other day that I am most likely getting a slot to SS Nats and its time to get back up to speed. I'm thinking about ordering some new Wilson Mags for next year, might go well with a new SS gun i want to buy too. B)

With the thoughts of Lanny Bassham's book Im setting some goals for myself.

-Short term: Continue to dryfire nightly until SS Nats.

-Long term: finish top 5 of my class (whatever it may be) at SS Nats

-Non-shooting related: win weight loss competition I'm in and get in shape.

Lets get crackin!! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

wow, been a month since my last post? :unsure: ouch. havent been dryfiring every night unfortunately but that will change now that things have calmed down with the holidays being over and work settling down a bit.

I did get my slot for the SS Nationals, just need to get a check written for it and get that sucker back in the mail! That will give me some extra incentive to dryfire more, knowing that is coming up along with some other majors. Got the Wabash Valley Open, Battle in the Bluegrass, and hopefully a Manny class in early May. Really looking forward to that class!!!!

Oh and my new gun is on order. Dawsonized Spartan should be in my little hands by the end of the month :cheers:

fun day on the trap/skeet fields today. League is going pretty well. Im in the high teens/low 20s. that 25 is just around the corner.

Also got the pistol out for some test work. Function tested my trigger job...perfect. Function tested some new ammo(different bullets than I normally use for some indoor matches)...perfect. Good day all around. Early shifts this week, so plenty of time to dryfire getting ready for this Sunday's match. first one of the year and I want to come out HOT!!

fun day on the trap/skeet fields today. League is going pretty well. Im in the high teens/low 20s. that 25 is just around the corner.

Early shifts this week, so plenty of time to dryfire getting ready for this Sunday's match. first one of the year and I want to come out HOT!!

Hey Corey, you shooting at BORCC's indoor match on the 23rd??

Hey Corey, you shooting at BORCC's indoor match on the 23rd??

planning on it. :cheers: should be coming up with a co worker, buddy I shot with last year and hopefully a potential new USPSA shooter.

First match of 2011 in the books! Went fairly well today, still some rust to knock off tho. Had a Mike on a long-ish headshot on one stage and 1 Mike on the classifier (03-11 El Strong & Weak Pres). Better than all previous runs at it, but still not as good as Id like. Shot the final stage clean, 24 rounder with "poppers" (bowling pins) arranged in a very confusing manner. Lots of criss-crossing and a lot of people left a popper standing or forgot to engage a paper here or there. Took me quite a while to develop a plan, but it ran flawlessly once I got it down in my head. All-in-all, good day for my first match in 3+ months.

Strong points: hit every reload today without hiccup. Moved my feet fairly well. Developed and executed stage plans well.

Things to work on: head shots at distance (read: practice accuracy more), and as usual need to keep working on strong/weak hand shooting. I've been practicing a new technique for me (rolling my elbow under and keeping the gun more vertical) and so far it seems to be a lot better for me.

Results when they get posted.