Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corey's road to success

Corey

Thanks, that is what I thought I remembered. I loaded up about 30 or so this afternoon @ 4.9grns to try and will take them for a spin next Friday. I am trying to use it as a replacement for WST. I can get all the Titegroup I want for $15/pound in town and the WST is $22/pound.

Are you shooting stock springs?

BTW what kind of mags are you running? I am thinking about putting an S&A Magwell on but have purposely left it off as, my thinking anyway, if I can get fast and smooth without a magwell it can only get better from there, right?

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First stage went REALLY well. 27 As and came in just a hair over 20 seconds. Should hopefully be a stage win at least for my division. (thanks for the target engagement tip Ryan ;))

yup. looks like you won that stage in SS! Good run.

-rvb

That was a great start to the day, then the feeding probs killed me on the next one. I think it was a feed ramp issue b/c it didnt happen the rest of the day. Its amazing what happens when you keep your gear running, haha. I do feel good about that run tho. Thats the kind of run i need for the Sectional match.

been pretty busy lately, but managing some dryfire and even a little live fire this week. Shot the thursday practice, really tried to find the front sight and focus on accuracy more than anything. We did a drill where we draw, shoot 1 A, then move back a few feet and repeat. started about 5-7 yards and ended at 20ish. Only had 1 shot that pulled into the C zone and I knew it the moment it happened. Really need to do more of this on my own when possible.

Dryfiring lately has been tough, but getting it in, sometimes late at night. Still focusing on just hitting the reloads smooth and seating the mag. My draw times on paper at 7yds is about a 1.0x-1.1x now, so im happy with that for now. 1.3x to steel at 10 yards from surrender is what i was shooting thursday and i wasnt trying for speed to much. More of my dryfire time lately has been reloads smoothly, sight pictures on teh move and entering/leaving boxes. I still need to get a timer and some rounds to see if lead foot entering/leaving is best for me or crossing over. Both feel about the same in dryfire.

Shotgun is getting a bit better. Im able to get 4 shells from a random start in the tube and back on target in under 6.5 about 4 out of 5 times. I get into a rush sometimes with these and get all screwed up. I need to just go slow and smooth...

No match last weekend as I had the opportunity to shoot some long range (at least for me) F-Class shooting yesterday. It was a 600 yd match, 3 strings of 20. It was literally twice as far as ive previously shot. My local range that I belong to only goes to 300 and ive only shot that a couple times (friend's .284 F-Class rifle, my AR-15 and the 30-06 I used this past weekend). What i was fearing would happen did.....I LOVED IT! I seemed to shoot fairly well for my first time at that distance with all borrowed gear (only had about 10 practice shots the day before) and and ammo change halfway through the last string, haha. Ended up with a 555-16X and a mid-field finish which I thought was ok. The first string was a 173 and after swtiching rear bags to a more solid one, I shot a 193 and a 189, with most of the Xs on the last two.

All of last night and this morning, I just keep thinking about the fun I had and want to do it again!

Back to pistol for this week though, reloading some ammo for the Sectional, plenty of dryfire and a live fire Thursday night practice. goals are to get the mag seating issue resolved for good, be smooth on reloads and then shoot a penalty free match next weekend...

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Wish I had video footage of the match, but my camera-operator killed the footage 75% of the way thru the match so I only have vids of the last couple and they were my worst by far, haha. Either way, I had a great time and am pretty happy about the way I shot the stages in general. 3rd in my class and 6th out of 32 in Single Stack at my first Sectional match seems ok to me :)

Thanks, that's the plan soon! Got a couple other things to focus on right now (DPMS multi-gun in late August). Gonna be at Camp Perry for the next week or so, so pistol shooting and practice will be limited. I'm thinking about taking my airsoft and some 1/3 targets with me to at least get some draw practicing in.

• 2 weeks later...

holy busy time lately! I havent been able to do any dryfire for about a week and half and its getting me all twitchy and nervous. Camp Perry was a blast. learned a lot for work and met a bunch of cool people.

while I didnt have time to dryfire last night (i played a deck hockey game and ran so much i could barely walk when i got home) i did do some investigating of my FTF issues ive been having. Ive been thinking its a crimp issue and i think im right. want to be in the .470-.471 area. Took about 25 random rounds leftover from the batch i shot at IN Sectional and did soem measuring. most were in the ballpark of .475ish :unsure: . that could be why i was havnig rounds not chamber for me when the gun got a bit dirty. Im going to adjust the crimp on my die re-crimp these and shoot them this weekend at FW to see if we have any more issues. :ph34r:

Oh yea, and the dryfire regimen gets kicked back into high gear tonight :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

finally got some live fire time on the range today. Feels good to shoot something again! Havent shot any live fire since the IN sectional and it showed. About 100 rounds. Some basic draws, a few El Pres. Quite a few mags worth of SHO. I tried a little trick from one of the Saul Kirsch videos about keeping the elbow tucked in tighter. gun seemed to track much better and my hits did improve. Going to try to get this down during dryfire as it felt pretty odd, but im not going to complain about results. many more A hits and a lot less dispersion of the hits. Hopefully work will calm down soon and Ill be able to get out ans shoot more. Should be able to hit the thursday practice this week. Got a midrange rifle match with the guys from work Saturday then the Warsaw match on Sunday. Dryfire as much as possible until then. gotta smooth out the bumps

Still a little weird to look at and say but...

photo4.jpg

Edited by Corey

finally got some live fire time on the range today. Feels good to shoot something again! Havent shot any live fire since the IN sectional and it showed. About 100 rounds. Some basic draws, a few El Pres. Quite a few mags worth of SHO. I tried a little trick from one of the Saul Kirsch videos about keeping the elbow tucked in tighter. gun seemed to track much better and my hits did improve. Going to try to get this down during dryfire as it felt pretty odd, but im not going to complain about results. many more A hits and a lot less dispersion of the hits. Hopefully work will calm down soon and Ill be able to get out ans shoot more. Should be able to hit the thursday practice this week. Got a midrange rifle match with the guys from work Saturday then the Warsaw match on Sunday. Dryfire as much as possible until then. gotta smooth out the bumps

photo4.jpg

Corey, that pic is gonna look awesome hanging on the wall...Congrats!

Great weekend of shooting! Had a midrange rifle match in Cincy on Saturday and shot ok, for my second ever F-class match. I got a bad feeling that I am gonna have to spend some money on a rifle somewhere down the road, haha.

Sunday was the Warsaw Spectacular. Anyone who lives within a couple hours and didn't go REALLY missed out! not many "local" level I matches with 8 stages, 250 rounds, 4 Texas stars on a single stage, shooter popping out of wedding cakes. Terrific setup!

I shot ok, considering I haven't been able to get much practice in since basically the IN sectional last month. Things at work are starting to settle down a bit, so hopefully my practice regimen can get fired back up where I want it. Had a few hiccups Sunday, but overall I was pretty happy. I wanted to win a couple stages and I did just that. came in a close 2nd on a few others. I think i got my ammo problems from sectional figured out as well. it was def a crimp issue. didn't have any problems relating to that this time. The only problems i had were user related ( not seating mag fully, etc) and they were few and far between. Getting back to the practice regimen will help smooth that out.

I have also been reading Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind". Terrific read. I am going to try some methods he lays out in the book to improve my mental game. everyone needs goals set to have something to work for:

Short term goal: Win Single Stack at Michigan Sectional

long term goal: make the bump to A class

Here we go....!

photo4.jpg

That one was mine last year. I got one this year you will have to work very hard to get and invest a lot of time in.

SS High Senior

See you in what, 30 years or so???? :)

Congrats!! :cheers:

no match this past weekend as i felt like crap when i woke up sunday morning. Was able to do some dryfire that afternoon tho, about an hour and half worth of draws, reloads, transitions. Felt pretty good about the day. More dryfire today as well, about an hour. i spent about 30 min focusing on snapping my eyes to the next target and then to the front sight. Ive been getting a bit lazy on finding a GOOD focus on the sight and i need to get back to it. Ive also been looking for bullet holes lately and I dont know why. Next range trip will be focused on watching the front sight the entire time.

Im also on the 2nd go-around of Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind". Really good read and should really help me improve my mental game.