Corey's road to success

Corey

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a dremel if you're feeling adventurous. :-)

uh-oh.... :roflol:

Went to the range this morning, got 300 rounds of live fire in. Few mags of accuray for warm up then some draws. Was consistently in the 1.0X area and broke into the .9x a couple of times all from the 10 yard area. Worked on draw and transition to weak-hand for the upcoming Wabash Valley Open. If i hustle it, i can get it in around 1.4x but to get a decent hit, its in the 1.6x-1.7x range. Going to be a tough stage for sure! Also did Brian's transition drill Part 1 so now its time to try part 2 and see how I can improve. Watching a lot of my videos and others, I'm losing a lot of time in between targets. No longer.

I was really able to see the front sight today which i liked! At one point I was making 12 yd headshots and putting them all in the A box with pretty good splits (didnt put a timer on it, but it was in the .2-.3 area). I caught myself looking for bullet holes a couple times today, but a lot of my focus was on the front sight today. I'm going to try to get out one more time this week before work to get a few more rounds in before the weekend.

Fixed time changes things. Accuracy in the given amount of time.

Wonder whats a better plan. get off 2 or 3 good shots or 5-6 marginal shots :unsure:

I know I can get them all off freestyle, and SHO. I plan to do that. WHO I have a lesser number of shots planned. I think the men will be separated from the boys by the hits not the shots, and I think WHO and freestyle will be the difference. Misses don't cost you much but it is about points not hit factor.

Crazy week this week so I didn't get in as much dryfire as I'd like. Going to try to sneak out to the range tomorrow morning to work on a little weakhand shooting and do a final live fire focus on trigger control. Not planning on shooting many rounds, just planning on shooting every round in the A zone. I think a mini accuracy oriented practice is something that will do me some good for the match this weekend. We'll also get to see how I shoot on a lack of sleep...got free tickets for the Red Wings game up in Detroit for tomorrow night. Plenty of 5hr energy is on tap for Sunday morning!! :cheers:

Shot the Wabash Valley Open this past weekend. Not as good of a showing as I'd like but I did learn a little in the process. had some gun troubles on the first few stages. My new hard chrome'd gun is still REALLY TIGHT and if i dont oil it heavily, it tends to jam up on me! Im going to try to put some rounds down range this week to iron that out and Ill just have to make sure to keep'er nice and wet for a while. When i went to the safe area and re-oiled it before each stage, it ran like a top and I shot very well. After giving up on a class or division win (not giving up, I just knew I was too far out of it to compete for a win), I shot the last 3 stages without much care at all. Other than a Mike or 2 when i pushed myself a bit too hard, I shot VERY well, winning the last stage of the day. My overall speed on stages is pretty good when my gear runs but Im losing points I shoudnt. I had 115 As over 8 stages yesterday, while the division winner had 147! Not to mention too many Ds and obviously any M's is too much. I did learn a little about my shooting capabilities on moving shots, etc and Im calling that a self-win. Def something to use next weekend at the BITB. I need to tone down the speed a half notch and continue to work on being smooth into and out of shooting positions. The extra .20 of a second to ensure a better hit is something i plan on doing as well to gain some extra points Im losing. :sight: Im plannin on a much better finish next weekend! :cheers:

I took video of all the stages and will post them as soon as I can get them to play properly (its a new camera for me, haha). Looking forward to evaluating my shooting with this new camera.

Good video of Keen on YouTube from the WVO, a couple actually. Anyways his movement is great and something I'd like to emulate. He is very smooth, but I really like how "determined" his shooting is. No rushing per se.

I need to start filming myself!!!

Im in the process of trying to get my videos all put together right now. I've seen some of Chris' and it makes me not want to watch mine. I can already see a few various instances where I can save myself some time. just need to cut out wasted motions...

Im in the process of trying to get my videos all put together right now. I've seen some of Chris' and it makes me not want to watch mine. I can already see a few various instances where I can save myself some time. just need to cut out wasted motions...

Good or bad you watch the tape, again...and again....and again. You find every little thing that you did wrong or not perfect and work on it until it is. I can win a match by 10% and still find things to work on.

Good or bad you watch the tape, again...and again....and again. You find every little thing that you did wrong or not perfect and work on it until it is. I can win a match by 10% and still find things to work on.

Just cuz I dont WANT to watch it, doesnt mean im not gonna :blush: . I plan on breaking it down a lot before this weekend

Got a good look at the stages for the BITB today. Looks to be a lot of fun. Little dryfire coming up and Ill be ready to go.

Plans for tomorrow: Turn back the speed from last weekend one notch as to not find one of those pesky Mikes pop up on the score sheet. I'm looking for a clean match tomorrow. :cheers:

What a disaster. :(

Started the day at chrono. Went minor by a lot. No real idea why unless my new gun is just THAT much slower than my old gun. my fault for not verifying before I went down. I'm going to be trying some new powder anyway and re-tweaking my load a bit soon.

The gun issues I had at Wabash were back at the BITB, even with my backup gun. After dealing with the same crap this weekend, IM almost positive its an ammo related issue as opposed to a gun problem. Some more investigating is needed but the 5-600 rounds I have loaded from this same batch are all now delegated to practice only as I can't trust any of it.

Time to get back to the drawing board. Its time for local matches so I'll have plenty of time to work things out. I got video of the BITB but its pretty ugly. Ill get it posted sometime soon and start to analyze it. More worried about my reloads and my movement right now. I've got some things I want to try at the next couple of local matches as well....

Wanted to tell you that I bought a GSG-9. That's the .22 that is a 1911. Other than cheapy sights ( Dawson is currently working on sights for it), it is AWESOME. I've seen them from $309-$369. I paid $336 NIB. My buddy and I, he has one too, just shot 1,100 round between us on my range. The things are sewing machines!

I did a little work on my grip safety( Disabled) and right side thumb safety (cont

Contoured(sp)..

I think these guns are going to be hard to get going forward. Shooting SS, I would go this route before a .22 conversion. Just thought of you and cheap SS practice.

Edited by fourtrax