Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corey's road to success

Corey

Whew, what a long weekend! Shot the IN Sectional on Friday and RO'ed Sat/Sun.

Friday was a late night ( I was last shooter finished around 9:10pm). Sat/Sun were a couple of hot days (not as bad as last year, but close), but we made it through.

Ended up winning C-class in Limited, 14th overall in the division (~72% of Vogel-division winner) and 30th overall combined out of 300 shooters. For a borrowed gun I had less than 23 hours, I feel pretty good about the match. Few hiccups early in the match hurt me and 2 mikes that had no excuse being on my score sheets (neither were more than 3-4 yards). As usual its easy to play monday morning QB with it. I beat a few good shooters and stuck with a few more so it gives me a little motivation when I actually get my own Limited gun soon.

Video and more breakdowns later. Need to get to bed

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ended up winning C-class in Limited, 14th overall in the division (~72% of Vogel-division winner) and 30th overall combined out of 300 shooters.

Out Freakin' Standing! :)

Ahead of several Ms and As, too. (you sandbagger! haha)

Were stages 4 and 5 where you had the problems with the mag button? Other than those, you looked fairly consistent.

Are combined results available, or did you just take a peek in the stats shack?

-rvb

Stages 3,4 and 5 were the mag troubles, but 3 was big enough that the second or 2 I lost wasnt as great. 2-3 lost seconds on a 4 second stage really hurts the standings :sick: Im going to try to get the video from my Flip online tonight.

As for the combined, I was hanging out in the stats shack when things were printing off Sunday night. Not sure if they are planning on posting them anywhere or emailing them out at all.

I did some quick match and it looked like I shot around 92% of the points for the match. Not bad, would have like it a little higher.

Match video from IN Sectional, in the order I shot them. Stages 1 and 2 didnt get filmed (late in the day and we were just trying to finish up). The extended mag button was removed after the 2nd short stage(stage 5 in the match) and the day seemed to smooth out a bit.

No match this past weekend. Dont have much .45 ammo loaded, dont have my Limited gun yet and with the National Defense Match at Camp Perry next weekend, I needed a sunday off from pistol to get some more rifle reloading done and gear prepping. Im really looking forward to Perry next weekend. I've been practicing some longer range rifle shooting at a buddy's house (out to 450yd) and have been doing fairly well considering my lack of long distance shooting experience. I think I have all of my holdovers now and all my ammp is loaded and ready. Just gotta make it through this work week first...

For those who avent seen what the National Defense Match is: http://issuu.com/compshoot/docs/ndmflyer2011 :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the first NRA National Defense Match is in the books! There are some small kinks to work out in general, but I think Trey has a winner on his hands in the way of a new match for the NRA and shooting sports in general. Its a great way to get new shooters involved and is adaptable for ranges that don't have access to super long range capabilities.

For the match itself and my shooting:

I started off very strong on the closest string of fire taking the fastest time by over a second. Little too much confidence on the 15 yd line cost me some penalty time and mental error shooting targets out of order cost me pretty bad. 30 yards was the extent of the NDM target (5 colored sections with tombstone shaped targets). From 60-500 was a standard tombstone target simply needed rounds on paper to avoid penalties. Knowing what my zeros were on my scope gave the confidence to shoot fast here and I did. Pulled a shot or two but was fairly happy.

As the distances increased, so did the penalties and I knew I had to slow it down to keep up the pace with the leaders. The match uses electronic scoring system so by the time you get a chamber flag back in the gun, the string is scored on a tv to look at in the trailer. I shot 200 and 300 clean and thanks to Tommy Thacker having a mental error, I was in 2nd place behind Top Shot winner Ian Harrison at this point.

400 yards I had to rely on my zero and a couple of ballistic charts to get my holdovers for elevation. BC of the Berger bullets, my chrono results and JBM got me dead-on where I needed. It was my pulling 2 shots off target that cost me 40 seconds in Penalties and 3nd place.

I ended up 3rd in Open behind Ian and Tommy (Not complaining as I was within striking distance most of the weekend) and 4th overall. A service member shooting a Limited Rifle was able to sneak in and beat me by 1.5s for a 3rd overall. Had I not had the 2 misses at 400, I would have been in 2nd overall.

We were supposed to shoot at 500 but storms, funnel clouds and endless rain forced match officials to call the match off after the 400yd firing point. We were originally supposed to shoot the entire match COF both days, but lengthy delays and multiple reshoots due to crossfires took a ton of time away from us so we were forced to end early on Saturday and pick up where we left off on Sunday, the idea being to shoot at least 1 full match. Mother Nature cut us a tad short there.

Overall, I had a lot of fun shooting this first annual NDM match and hope that it continues in the years to come. I will most definitely shoot it next year at Camp Perry and this time I will be much more prepared, both with ideas on what to practice and taking advantage of gear abilities (i.e. I was the only Open shooter w/o a bipod).

Now I can put some focus on getting ready for the Pro-Am.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rock Castle Pro-Am. Wow. Thats all I can say. First time shooting at Rock Castle and my first real major 3gun match (4th ever). What an event!! Huge prize table, 7 great stages for the AMs to shoot, fun side matches (altho I didnt get a chance at many of them). Shot pretty well with some small exceptions here and there. Had a couple hiccups with my shotgun not feeding a round here or there. Its time to tear it apart and give it a GOOD clean/lube session. Working on video of the match now and it should be up later tonight with more breakdowns of the stages. I ended up winning AM by about 2 match points and if it weren't for a trainwreck on the final stage of the day, would have been a LOT more. I won 2 stages, could have been 4 pretty easily. I'll see if I can get a picture of my 1st place lamp too :roflol:

Pro-Am Video (6 stages) in the order I shot them.

Its amazing watching video from a 3rd person and its why I like doing it. I knew some of the stages were a little slower than they could be. Even tho a couple were pretty good, its amazing how much time I see that I wasted and where I could have improved. This will probably be my last 3gun match of the year as my schedule is just too conflicted to make any more this year. :( Planning on putting some time into the shotgun loading, especially after sitting through a short informal clinic with Kurt Miller. Couple of really good pointers on stage breakdown but some major pointers on weak-hand loading that I think will improve my reloads 10-fold. :sight: Just gotta practice and put it to work.

Hoping to get to a few more pistol matches to really test my new Cheely gun. :)

Great job Corey. Looks like a lot of fun. Would like to get into 3-gun sometime. It's been a few years since I've done one. Need to buy a suitable shotty, and start pretending I enjoy it...

So as winner of the am, will they automatically put you in pro next year? ;)

A lamp? That's an interesting trophy.. Do share a pic!

-rvb

Its definitely original, but I'm a little disappointed there wasnt a plaque or something to go with it to hang on the wall with my others. Its in my bedroom and will be in the reloading room when i rearange things a bit. I just need to remember to package it carefully when I move and make sure to mark the box FRA-GI-LE!

As someone who has been married (several times) :surprise: , let me give you some advice.

When the marriage is final and the kids start coming, never leave your wife at home alone with that lamp. Put a lock on your reloading room and keep the only key with you. :roflol:

I'm assuming this means you will be "Pro" next year.

C class limited Pro

bullsh!t

:roflol: I like that. Maybe i should make that my title under my picture

And yea, I saw the Shooting Wire this AM. I dont know why they sent in that picture tho. :unsure: We had taken some much better ones. That was one that was snapped just goofing around right after I went up to get the trophy.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot the classifier match at warsaw last weekend with my new Limited gun and a new silly looking gun with a weird round middle part :unsure: . Limited went ok and couple with today I should be well out of C class there, haha. Revolver I had all sorts of ammo problems (looks like I need to switch to Federals, haha). Things need tweaking there, but its just a play around gun for now.

Speaking of today...Shot my match at FWAPS today. Shot fairly well but lots of room to improve. Shot 93% of the points, but felt like I threw a few Cs that I shouldn't have. And I tried to out-shoot/out-run my sights and earned a healthy Mike on a target. No Deltas for the 5 stages, so that I was happy with. No video as I was RO'ing and trying to make sure things ran smooth. (Maybe someone else got video of today's stages). I do have this little tidbit tho:

Pistol Finals All divisions.htm