Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Primer Flip Tray

if you used federal primers you'd grow to like the size of the tray,

:cheers:

As for how it's made, I've dropped it stepped on it, my dogs have even

tried chewing on it and it still works fine :roflol:

. :roflol:

I've been using an RCBS flip tray for some time and don't see any disadvantage to it but I'm wondering if there is an advantage to the heavier (and much larger) Dillon Tray?

I was using a Hornady but I threw it in with a Dillon 650 I sold since I got the big heavy dillon flip try. I should have tried it first, the Hornady cheap plastic tray flips primers better.

There is one good thing about the Dillon heavy metal tray, when you turn it over the lid is solid and you don't bounce the primers. That helps a bit. Due to its size I now dump in 3 or 4 hundred primers at a time.

Well maybe two, its easier to find on the bench when you got stuff all over.

Edited by CocoBolo

I am using the large RCBS flip tray (Primer Tray-2) and like it better than the Dillon since it seems to flip the primers faster and with less effort. Normally it takes about 3 gentle shakes and I am done.

Bought one for a friend for Christmas and he was amazed how fast if flipped them over. I like the weight of the Dillon but in my opinion the large RCBS flip tray is the way to go.

Never heard of a primer ignition while using a flip tray..but if it did happen I think the metal tray would be a finger saver for sure...? :unsure:

Or the cause of the detonation? I would hate for that thing to slip out of the hands and find a primer.

I have it on good authority that the weight of the Dillon tray exactly matches that of the factory spec 50 cal BMG case (actually, exactly one used case is melted down and cast for each tray) so that you always have a reference. :rolleyes:

I wish the ridges were a bit taller on the flipping side of the Dillon. There are always 2 or 3 stubborn primers that just won't flip in the Dillon that flip just fine in my Lee primer feeder. That said, I like the size and heft of the Dillon - I don't lose primers dumping from the package to the flip tray, especially Federals. Gotta be real careful trying to get primers into the tiny Lee feeder.

I thought it took two 50 BMG cases for the Dillon tray - one per side. :)

Mines not brass, and it's had some surface rust. I never worry about flipping all the primers. I get 95% or so and grab the ones right side up for the pickup tube, use the tray from the primers to push them towards the sides, flip, and grab the rest. Mine is also a little high in the middle so it rocks on the middle primers if I don't move them to the side. I wonder if mine is a defective one to be honest. Works fine the way I use it.

I'm surprised to hear all the talk about how hard it is to get the Federal primers into the flip tray. Don't you guys take the grooved tray and lay it on the Federal primer box and turn it 180 degrees to empty the box?

I'm surprised to hear all the talk about how hard it is to get the Federal primers into the flip tray. Don't you guys take the grooved tray and lay it on the Federal primer box and turn it 180 degrees to empty the box?

I'm confused.....do you do that before or after you dump them into the tray and pick up all of the ones that bounced out onto the bench and floor? :wacko:

I'm confused.....do you do that before or after you dump them into the tray and pick up all of the ones that bounced out onto the bench and floor? :wacko:

You don't "dump" them anywhere! As Alfie posted, you place the grooved tray on top of the primer box, the white plastic part, hold the two together and turn the whole thing upside down. Then gently remove the white plastic tray. That way you aren't "dumping" anything, just placing the primers onto the grooved tray. They will be on edge and tend to roll a bit until you get them oriented, so gently move the grooved tray in a circle or back & forth until they all fall over to a flat side. Simple!! :cheers:

Alan~^~

You don't "dump" them anywhere! As Alfie posted, you place the grooved tray on top of the primer box, the white plastic part, hold the two together and turn the whole thing upside down. Then gently remove the white plastic tray. That way you aren't "dumping" anything, just placing the primers onto the grooved tray. They will be on edge and tend to roll a bit until you get them oriented, so gently move the grooved tray in a circle or back & forth until they all fall over to a flat side. Simple!! :cheers:

Alan~^~

That's how you do it...

Dave

I don't mind the weight, but my Dillon flip tray is convex enough that the edges of the lid don't hold the primers firmly and they tend to turn over. :(

Just take the Lid and push the primers from the center to the edges. Then it will lay flat when you put the two halves together.

My guess would be the same as Merlin's. Safety in the unlikely event of an AD.

I do think Wolf has the right idea with no need to flip the primers.

Edited by Pezco