Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Primer Flip Tray

Big - because of the Federal packaging issue.

Heavy - because Dillon makes great stuff - although if they had gone cheap and made it of plastic, it could have been done in Dillon Blue.

I believe it's aluminum...they could anodize it blue.

I found the Dillon Primer Flip Tray flips the primers better if you shake it in the air as opposed to on the bench.

be

Well, I shook it in the air, now I have primers all over my gun room... :rolleyes:

Big - because of the Federal packaging issue.

Heavy - because Dillon makes great stuff - although if they had gone cheap and made it of plastic, it could have been done in Dillon Blue.

I believe it's aluminum...they could anodize it blue.

More likely it's brass. It's too damn heavy to be aluminum! :roflol:

Alan~^~

I don't think they work well, other than they do easily accommodate the Federal boxes.

I had two of the Dillon primer flippers. I gave one away. The other hasn't seen any real use in a number of years. (I do use it to gather the primers that make it onto the ski jump.)

It's one piece of Dillon gear that I don't recommend. It is well built. Great size and heft. It just takes longer to get the primers flipped.

If you are shaking the flip tray until all the primers are the same side up, then you are wasting time. Shake the primers ONLY until the primers are all flat, none laying on their sides. Take your primer pickup tube and pick up all the primers that are shiny side up. Put the lid on the tray and flip it over. Pick up the remaining primers.

If you are shaking the flip tray until all the primers are the same side up, then you are wasting time. Shake the primers ONLY until the primers are all flat, none laying on their sides. Take your primer pickup tube and pick up all the primers that are shiny side up. Put the lid on the tray and flip it over. Pick up the remaining primers.

That is one of those suggestions that causes you to slap yourself in the forehead and feel like of idiot for not thinking of something so simple... Maybe it's just me.

You beat me too it!

;)

I guess my Dillon flip tray must be a much older one. It isn't big enough to contain all the primers of many of the 100 packs that I have used. I would guess that it is at least 20+ years old. Do I need to consider getting a new one?

Charlie

Edited by laportecharlie

You beat me too it!

;)

If you gotta do that double flip...then you are wasting time. ;)

Plus, you likely increase the chance of punching a primer into the tube that is up-side-down.

That's the way I've always done it, but the circular ridges on one side only of the flip tray give the impression it was intended to be shaker until all the primers are oriented like little turtles on their backs.

I like the Dillon trays. As mentioned above, they are great for the Federal boxes. Also, I found that if you move it side to side, then front to

back, they all flip fairly well. The ones that don't flip are where the lines in the tray are moving lengthwise to the primer, so I just change

the movement 90 degrees and then they flip when the lines are going sideways to the primer. When I'm picking up primers where some are

flipped and some aren't, I go around the ones to pick up with the end of the pickup tube to get them away from the ones with the anvil

facing up. Also, I found out it makes it easier to pick them up if you chamfer the plastic end with a case deburring tool. It makes kind of a little

funnel that helps get them started in the opening easier.